Date: 30-04-24  Time: 18:14 pm

Author Topic: Can't find the carb sync screws!!!  (Read 3044 times)

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Can't find the carb sync screws!!!
« on: 09 January 2016, 02:14:29 pm »
Guys,

I'm trying to synchronising the carbs - simple job, done it loads of times before... but on the Fazer - NO SYNC SCREWS!!! They're not where the Haynes manual says they should be and I just can't find them!!! What's going on there then!!?? The carbs do need balancing as they're a bit out but I can't find the bloody screws - a simple job is impossible. How do the bike designers manage such a shitty trick!!??

It's a 2001 FZS 1000

I'm hoping the sync will cure this weird issue - if I accelerate moderately at about 15mph in 2nd gear out of a bend I get a weird noise that sounds like some slack in the transmission slapping about. Pulling away from the small roundabout at the end of my road is the litmus test - always happens. Carb balance may well solve it... if I can figure how to sync them!

Any advice much appreciated!!

Dave

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find the carb sync screws!!!
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2016, 02:32:02 pm »
Ah, found 'em! Flipping heck they were where Haynes said they'd be, just about a foot behind a gap too small for light to pass through... slight exaggeration but I do need to buy a new screwdriver with the reach to get at them!!

Great photos for anyone who needs help - http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/carburetorsynchronization.html

Dave

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2016, 03:27:13 pm »
The noise you are talking about is probably exup valve rattle, which is common when opening throttle at low revs.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2016, 04:16:08 pm »
Cheers Nick,

Is it a problem or just one of them things?

And is there a simple way to test that? Like pull the fuse for the valve control or something? I'd just like to narrow it down.

If it's not actually causing any extra wear or other problems then it doesn't bother me.

Dave

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2016, 04:36:25 pm »
It probably just has slightly loose cables. Here is a link on how to maintain it....http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2016, 04:38:19 pm »
Ive got the same rattle, when greased up its quiet, after a few miles its back though, most noteable at 3000/4000 rpm..I think I t might be  down to a worn bush at the far end of the shaft, last time I took the exup out this bush came out with it, so guessing its a bit worn, not checked price yet.....bikes runs fine I just grease it regular....
One, is never going to be enough.....

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2016, 04:47:20 pm »
You are right about it possibly being worn. I have owned six gen1's over the years and some had the rattle with loose cables and others were because it was worn. I have also had one where the exup valve looked fine, but it moved from side to side (longways) :eek

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2016, 09:35:05 am »
It probably just has slightly loose cables. Here is a link on how to maintain it....http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html

Awesome guide! Fantastic! So good it makes me WANT to do the job!! Wow, thx

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2016, 12:58:16 pm »

Well, the carb sync has definitely made the tick-over, low-speed cruising and over-run _a_lot_ smoother.

The bike no longer makes the weird slapping noise where it always used to but it still does it at other times, still while leant over with modest acceleration at low revs. But much less and much quieter when it does. It's not really a rattle, more of a chatter. Probably is the EXUP - the smoother power delivery probably just lessens the tendency for it to start to vibrate. Will have a look at that anyway as the guide makes it look so simple.

Cheers everyone for the pointers.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2016, 02:18:47 pm »
While you are down there, take a look at the exahust collector mounting bracket as these can crack causing vibration or noise.