Date: 17-05-24  Time: 15:30 pm

Author Topic: how much oil  (Read 1515 times)

THETFG

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
how much oil
« on: 04 April 2014, 10:13:17 pm »
i have lost my manual for my 2003 fazer . need to know how much oil to put in as i am doing an oil change . Any help would be appreciated

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: how much oil
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2014, 10:18:29 pm »
2.8 litres without filter change or 3.0 l with according to my 2004 manual.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2014, 10:21:37 pm »
Good idea to download the service manual from the 'downloads' tab at the top of this page  :D

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2014, 10:26:58 pm »
Just fill up until its at the correct level in the window - I've never bothered to measure the quantity in any of my vehicles; cars or bikes

The only reason I look is so that I know how much to buy :P

The car takes over 6 litres :(

THETFG

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2014, 10:30:02 pm »
thanks guys

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2014, 10:31:33 pm »

I did not change my oil filter.

Emptied oil...left on side stand for 15 minutes to drip dry.....on a down slope.

I stuck in 2.5 litres

Went to just over half way up the window.

I was chuffed. 8)

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2014, 08:05:55 am »

I did not change my oil filter

Why bother to change the oil if you cannot be arsed to put a new filter in....?  :groan

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2014, 10:17:22 am »

I did not change my oil filter

Why bother to change the oil if you cannot be arsed to put a new filter in....?  :groan

Whale

I changed the oil and put on a k&n filter last year, bike had only done about 2k miles but i decided to change the oil as it had been sitting over the winter, it came out totally clean & id read on here that changing the filter every couple of changes was acceptable.

It was just one step up from not doing the oil and filter and just riding it without going overkill.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2014, 08:49:00 am »
if the oil is changed cos of impurities, maybe they can damage the filter too?...I dunno, but for £6 I wud do an annual oil filter change along with the oil..u cant do anything better for a standing engine to change both.
IF you ran it regularly all year round , then maybe skip a filter change, but its just  the price of 2 mcn papers... :\

Screwdriver

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FireBlade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2014, 09:32:54 am »

Oh man, you guys aren't going to like this:

Well as I posted in this thread the trusty Fazer is now back up and running. By a bizarre and unlikely coincidence, today my trusty van ran out of mot! I'm not sure if this is lucky timing or what. Certainly if I hadn't checked my pile of paperworks for all the various projects, I would have missed this deadline and probably found out half way back from Donington via ANPR.

In light of the above comment regarding the oil, I did a couple of things first off I double checked the old cylinder head to where and how the oil ways had become jammed. I could only see muck under the cam holders, in the cam journals; as if any broken bits/swarf/alloy grindings hadn't been able to escape. There wasn't anything terrible in the old oil as I recall, just a bit grey from alloy paste. The oil ways themselves on the old head were clear. There is just one 8mm ish opening in the casting which seems to flood the head so that the cams run in a bath of oil rather than have it pumped through the tiny ways within the camshafts themselves. I will go and look this up though unless anyone knows better.

Secondly, I drained the oil which was barely 20 miles old. It was dirty but not too bad.

So I strained it through a dust mask.

...and stuck it back in. Next time I have any money, I might even change the oil. For the moment, it can live on Halfords finest and stfu. The bottom of the pan still looked ok too though I didn't drain the last dregs back in.

Then I even washed it.

Happy days.

S.