Date: 27-04-24  Time: 08:20 am

Author Topic: You've got me worried now!!!  (Read 1462 times)

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
You've got me worried now!!!
« on: 30 March 2013, 12:43:58 am »
Hi all, after a warm welcome last week I read through some bits n bobs about the FZS600 and I am now slightly worried about the front sprocket problem they have. Is it a case of listening and waiting for it to go, are there any signs to watch out for or is it a case of removing the cover to check and do a modification whilst its off anyway??? The latter sounds the most practical and whats involved??

Thanks  Rich

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: You've got me worried now!!!
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2013, 12:56:21 am »
Usually most people who have found it missing haven't noticed any change in noise or performance etc and simply discover it missing when they check so definitely best to check it every now and again.

It is definitely worth getting the upgrade sorted - if your local dealer is nice they will do it free of charge, if not then the parts cost about £10-15 depending on where they are sourced from and if you have some tools then its easy enough to do yourself. If not a local garage should be able to do it for say half an hours labour. Even then, there may be some helpful foccer locally who will lend a hand :)

Unfortunately, I don't have the part numbers / service note to hand but they are listed in several threads and there was one fairly recently which went over the entire problem which I guess you read.

Where abouts are you in the world?

And welcome to the forums ^^

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2013, 01:30:37 am »
Get it done, just for peace of mind........  ;)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2013, 01:54:53 am »
Hi Guys and thanks, Deadeye , I'm from Hull in Yorkshire (Humberside) mate, what does the mod consist of? Sprocket and lock washer or just lockwasher and Locktite??
Thanks Rich

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2013, 07:10:51 am »
Sprocket nut, lock tab & loctite... Dont go to Mileskingsport or 5 Ways they'll pull ya pants down and spank your booty... get your parts online... get any issues or need any help let me know as im only up the road  :lol

Charlie
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2013, 09:05:20 am »
The washer and modded nut kit is part number 90891-10124.

Order it online from Fowlers of Bristol, but you don't want any other part number other than the above, otherwise it'll be wrong.

You can try and get it free from a Yamaha dealer, but it depends how patient and persistent you are!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2013, 09:27:57 am »
The washer and modded nut kit is part number 90891-10124.

If you go to a Yamaha dealer and just ask for the sprocket nut they will probably come up with the old 9mm thick nut. As above you must ask for that part number, which has a 12mm thick nut and a lock washer.
Don't get too hung up about this as most people have not had a problem. Like most posts on the internet it is the ones with the problem who tend to respond, thus giving the impression it is very common. Still well worth checking of course and as  darrsi says get it done for peace of mind.

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 30 March 2013, 10:46:24 am by gerkin »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2013, 11:51:15 am »
You can also get the part from Wemoto - this is the route I took. Cost about £14 delivered if I remember correctly :)

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/yh-90891-10124/

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2013, 01:57:48 pm »
All you guys, Many thanks for your help and info, I feel a heap better now and rest assured the mod will be done before very long, prevention is always better than a cure.

Buck