Date: 27-04-24  Time: 08:21 am

Author Topic: Hi all , from a newbie  (Read 2934 times)

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
Hi all , from a newbie
« on: 23 March 2013, 10:13:23 am »
Hi All, My name is Rich and i come from Hull, Humberside ( Yorkshire really ) and have just bought an FZS 600 'T' 1999 with only 8100 miles to her name, I also have a Yamaha diversion 600 which is a great old bus. Married with 2 grown up lads and a lovely wife Jo,
I love the Fazer only having done 100 miles or so because of the sodding weather but the missus got aches in her hip while out so is there a mod that can be done to lower the rear footpegs apart from putting an orange box on the seat for her lol.

Thanks Rich ( Buck )

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Hi all , from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2013, 10:24:34 am »
Welcome....

The rear peg hangers from a 2000 model year on will bolt straight on, and are slightly lower. From memory, you'll also have to jiggle the exhaust mount round, sure someone will be Along to confirm....

Edited to add it's the peg hangers, not the pegs themselves! Also, fairly sure the exhaust is just a case of loosening the bottom joint and twisting the can slightly...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: 23 March 2013, 10:33:30 am by richfzs »

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2013, 10:25:35 am »
Welcome to the Asylum!
Now if only it would stop bl..dy snowing!
My FZS is tucked up warm in the kitchen :lol

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2013, 10:28:01 am »
Hi Rich

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of nice peeps on here and loads of useful info and help.  Having said that I can't help re the footpegs :o  but I'm  sure you'll get advice from folk more knowledgable than me.
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2013, 10:30:43 am »
Hi Guys, thanks for the welcome and tips, yeah hate bad weather as it stops our fun eh? Mine too is in the shed with an optimate sstuck to her, with the cold anall it kills batterys.

Rich

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2013, 01:56:08 pm »
Hey!

Welcome to the forum, got any pics of your bike?

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2013, 02:41:09 pm »
Hi Chris , thanks for the welcome mate, below is a couple of pics.

Rich

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2013, 02:44:03 pm »
Oh and this is a pic of my Divvy on the ramp I made myself from a set of plans bought off Flea-bay.

Rich

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2013, 02:48:55 pm »
Nice one  8)

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2013, 03:16:01 pm »
 :)   Your DIY Bike Lift looks quite good Buddy .. very tidy !

So much easier to work on the bike when it's up at that height. 

I would however advise that you sort out the Strapping Down method .. that single strap hooked over the plastic Fork Protectors will not hold much if things do start to move!

Both 'sides' of the Strap need to be 'fixed' (secured as in by wrapping around the Bars, Rear foot peg hangers, Grab rail Frame or whatever) as it is ... if the bike (I mean when the bike) moves .. it will move 'inside' the strap loop.   Better to use two or even better still four straps .. one or two on each side front and rear. Also close the Ratchet handles down flat.     Too late when it starts to fall .. you will not catch it!  :eek

Hard to see in the picture .. but has the lift got a 'height locking pin' of some sort .. not good if the jack is the only thing holding everything up.  The lift needs a locking system so that the jack can then be lowered a little to take the weight off the hydraulics.

While I'm on a roll here  :rolleyes   It also looks like you might have just cut that nice new strap  :\  .. tail end and Stanley Knife on the deck.  Never a good thing to do that .. Sods Law Rules that you will need a longer strap for sure at some point very soon. 

All the above is just in my opinion of course .. nothing more  8)

Stay Safe(r)  ;)    Trev.     The Polar Bear in Spain (Former Pro Diver, HGV Trucker and General Cargo Strap user).
« Last Edit: 23 March 2013, 03:29:08 pm by purplebear7 »

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2013, 03:44:31 pm »
Hi Trev, thanks for the safety tips mate, Yeah I cut the strap only for the ramp purpose as I got three in a pack so 2 spares, The bike was strapped by the fork leg protectors for 2 months mate and did'nt go anywhere, not saying that it would'nt either so was ok, I usually put one over the frame at the rear too but needed the space that day. There is a locking bar at the rear , just under the back wheel near the white chock on the floor, it clicks into place when the ramp is raised and i lower the ramp onto whichever height chock is required at the time, on the photo i was showing the ramp as i was lowering it to take the bike off mate so thats why i were'nt so safety concious. It was just for photo use.
Thanks for your concerns tho, its nice for people to take notice.

Rich

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2013, 04:20:34 pm »
 :)   Nice that you have taken my comments in the right mode mate .. so often the written word gets very badly interpreted by the reader.   

Shame about the cut Strap .. you'll need another 'pack of three' now.

I've no doubt the Bike stood safe as houses like that (somewhere) for two months .. however in my experience the problems normally only ever happen when You are involved .. Lifting, Lowering or Working on the Bike !!   

You'll find guys in here who have knocked over or dropped their bike down at deck level .. it's not that difficult to do .. even a strong gust of wind will push one off a centre stand .. even more so if it's under a cover!

Anyway .. that's probably more than enough from me .. a big welcome to the clan .. I hope you can get your wife to be nice and comfortable up on the back seat ..  nothing better than doing fun stuff together  .. normally Annie will buy the Pit Stop Lunch or pay for the overnight Hotels .. I get the fuel and running costs  :)

Stay Safe  ;)    Trev

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2013, 10:54:00 pm »
No worries Trev, Yeah me and our lass go out as much a we can and as you, I fill it up and do all the service stuff and she gets the grub in. Sometimes fills it up too if i'm a bit short.

Cheers Rich ;)

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2013, 08:57:50 am »
Hi Rich, that bike looks in very good nick indeed. Be even better after it gets a proper clean, finns,wheels centre stand etc  ;) :D . Not a mark on the engine guards either, your Divy looks good too.
Hope you enjoy your new bike and the site, full of info, oh, and piss taking.

Welcome, Russ.
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 March 2013, 06:43:46 pm »
Hi Russ, thanks for the welcome, yeah I'll get round to a deep clean when the weather picks up a bit and I dont mind havin the piss taken as long as it goes both ways matey :lol . Cant wait to get out and give it a good run as soon as the crap weather permits, not a fair weather rider but 55 yrs old and joints full of arthritis so the cold dont help.

Regards Rich