Date: 13-05-24  Time: 07:22 am

Author Topic: Finaly done it...  (Read 3633 times)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Finaly done it...
« on: 07 October 2011, 07:18:08 pm »
well i have been wanting to do it for many many years but have been unable to.
While i couldnt sleep last night i took the plung (but only in a tiny way lol) and booked myself a 20 min track day taster session at brands hatch  :eek at only £20 it has to be worth a laugh

Finaly for the first time since i was in my teens i am able to get in to full zip together leathers, i actualy have gloves, boots (well kind of) as well so nothing holding me back from giving it a go other than the fear of killing myself or some one else  :lol

roll on the 19th oct 4pm ish for my WHOLE 20 mins taster  :lol

but my finger is also now hovering over the box for a full track day brands on the 31st oct as well but as thats £79 its something i have to see if farther xmas might step forward for :P

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
Re: Finaly done it...
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2011, 07:46:10 pm »
There are so many who do the talk but don't / can't do the walk.
Been there, done that and it can be soooo addictive. (or did I mean expensive? :rolleyes )
So good on you for getting out there and having a go, but ride within your own limitations mate, remember it is just a taster and if you ain't never been on track before, you won't be the first (nor the last) to go down quickly through trying too hard.  It looks easy trackside and on the telly and you might think you can do better because you can ride fast on the road.  DON'T get sucked in by others who may pass you by (and they will without doubt, because there is ALWAYS someone quicker than me/you) Enjoy your 20 minutes, it's a grin!  :D
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

theboydougie

• Fuds or spuds he ain't fussy
    Jan 09
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Hover Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2011, 08:49:13 pm »
Aye you'll love it to bits...get out there and have some fun.

Pack a spare pair of undercrackers; you know? just in case  :evil     :eek

:lol

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2011, 08:42:16 pm »
Ok so a question for you track day boffins,
Its a 105 db limit, do i realy need to swap back the the OE can  (Gen 1 1000) or will the road legal (stamped) Blueflame with the baffel in be low enough?

Apart from getting it checked at the track where else can do a real db check.... other than getting nicked :P

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2011, 07:13:04 am »
You mean really... with a lady?   What's that like?    :rollin

Hope to do it myself next spring - on the track (with a lady). :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2011, 08:57:11 am »
If it's road legal you'll be ok.

You wont believe how steep paddock hill bend is :eek
and 20 minutes will seem more like 2 minutes :)

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2011, 07:39:53 pm »
yup read that guide and a few others, my only worry is the exhaust not passing the limit.
not going out to kill myself, lets face it with 1 20 min session its just to have a laugh and say i have ridden the track. i doubt i can even get in the flow in that time let alone in to any real trouble :P

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2011, 07:08:37 am »
Ghost
Having just done a track day at cadwell, my blue flame can with main bung in was noise tested at 97 db. Its louder than stock. I think so long as yer  can has some sort of bung it will pass. For a 20 min session I would maybe just stick the stock can on if u R unsure..
My tip is this - just listen to the safety briefing they will give, follow any instructions , and you will be fine. There will be a t least a couple of sighting laps ridden at moderate pace so you will get the feel of the track. From then on just ride at the pace which feels comfy for yerself. The fazer is  avery stable bike, and apart from ground clearance issues, is a great platform for first trackday.
My day was 30 sept , very hot weather , the bike performed fantastically , still competitive against many newer bikes. Many guys remarked how fast the fazer came out of corners, that full monty engine gives superb acceleration.I also was mightily impressed with my brakes, hauling all that weight down from 140 to make the park bend.... Ultimately the weight of the bike, the weight of me, and poor ground clearance means it wont outrun on a lap  well ridden sports 600s let alone blades etc, but it gives them a good run for their money !   :)
I had been meaning to do  my trackday as since my big accident in 2006 I had not been back to a track, was worried about what would happen if it went pete tong etc, but did thoroughly enjoy myself.I picked cadwell as I have ridden it 5 times before, so felt comfy with it. I realise nowadays  the fazer is not a track bike per se, but its good to test the bike at  a track, get a real knowledge of what the bike can do, have some fun,etc...and of course just experience the flavour  of being at  a track- it is a bit intoxicating ! I do fancy trying tracks I havent ridden yet  eg snetterton, rockingham, and thats my target for next year .
Have agreat time, and let us know how u get on .

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2011, 11:48:31 am »
Ghosty

Do you have details of how to get a taster for £20 notes?  I'd be interested in doing it myself.   Good luck :D
Head Focced

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2011, 12:21:59 pm »
http://www.clubmsv.com/bike-home/taster-sessions.aspx

I know its only 20 mins but at less than a tank of fuel i thought it would be a laugh.
Realy want to do the full day at end of oct but so risky on the weather front. i find i dont concentrait as well as i should do when im cold

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2011, 01:35:27 pm »
I think I'll give that a go after I get used to riding again.
Head Focced

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2011, 07:14:49 am »
Ghost
Also meant to add.....do not forget to take both parts of ur driving licence with you !

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2011, 10:41:23 pm »
Focing Awsome LOL
Great fun had by all.

2*20 min taster sessions as I managed to book in the 2nd 1 as well
Most fun I have had with leathers on. I wasn't the fastest (that was a guy on a rgv500 LOL wow he was quick ) but had no probs keeping up with most and did my fair share of overtakes .
The good thing is there realy wasn't a pressured feeling to go faster than you wanted to. I was worried to start with that it would feel you had to go balls out. But track is plenty enough room for all. Bikes from 350 trials to the r1 and ducatis every one had as much fun didn't matter what you rode.

Bottom of padock hill is an odd feeling as everything compresses from the shocks to your spine LOL but the odd thing is nothing springs back. You just stay compressed LOL untill the druids brake point.

135 mph on my speedo healer adjusted speedo on the pit straight but you have to stop looking before the brake point has come and gone LOL.
All in all a great day that I will deff repeat at some point. But till then I can  bore loads of ppl about.it.

10 out of 10 highly recomend.
Will post pics at some point but I am only on the mobile till I get home in a week or 2 so maybe a while.

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2011, 12:07:35 am »
Nice one Ghostbiker, sounds like you had a grin.  Were you hanging off, did you get your knee down, did the pegs scrape, how did your tyres feel, did any girlies get by ya?  And what's this gonna do to your overall fuel records on Fuelly.com  :lol

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 October 2011, 01:05:16 am »
I can't hang off, walk with a stick and there's no way in hell I can get my joints in to those angles LOL did scrape pegs at druids and surtees, also took a fair bit of paint of the belly pan :p

Got a great 2 pic combo of me coming up behind a power ranger at druids. He is hanging off knee down, in the next shot I'm in front of him affter going round the outside of him sitting bolt upright :p

There were a couple female riders but to be honest once kited up and on track I wasn't realy watching who was who.
But they deff were not the slowest, there was even a guy in his 70's on a R1 he wasn't that quick but deff held his own and had fun. Tyres (023' s ) worked well, only had one TINY twitch at grayem hill bend as I came out in 2nd and hit the power a fraction early. But it was such a slight twitch I hardly noticed. And the 2 sighting laps plus 1 more settling in and they were plenty warm enough.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 October 2011, 01:08:48 am »
Oh and as for fuel LOL I did  just over 40 miles on track and that took about half a tank.
But I bimbled to and from the track, so by the time I do a fill up I doubt it will drop much more than normal :p ....... Well normal for me anyway

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2011, 05:35:47 pm »
heres my fazer grinding its pegs at cadwell !

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2011, 08:26:42 pm »
Cool pic, that feeling can never be taken away from you can it!  What an experience!  Crash bungs look close too Pitt.........     Yamaha bungs?  And did they touch at all?

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 October 2011, 10:42:08 am »
Hi septik
They are puig bungs and yes they did go down at park corner with quite  a jolt which made the bike sit up mid corner ! Luckily the grass was bone dry and after  a few seconds grasstracking ...remade the circuit ! The lack of ground clearance is  a serious issue with the fazer. These new type sports touring rubber offer so much grip, the bike feels like it will lean forever !
Moral of the story is once pegs are grazing ...thats far enuff ...lol

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 October 2011, 04:48:05 pm »
Yup, I have slight graze on right yamaha crash bung and a large scrape on the yamaha belly pan to.
But then there's little of the is peg left now either LOL