Date: 07-05-24  Time: 03:43 am

Author Topic: which helmets are you guys using?  (Read 15154 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
which helmets are you guys using?
« on: 23 June 2013, 02:00:35 am »
So, im almost due a new helmet soon, as my current one must be 3-4 years old, and has seen a bit of action. I've got a Nolan N103 at present, which has been great really, if a bit heavy.

Toying with getting a "better" quality helmet this time, perhaps a Schuberth C3. I like flip-ups, as it saves the constant on-off at petrol stations etc. Also I had looked at the Shark Evoline 3, as you can ride that open faced, but its not in my size.

I know the old adage of "get what fits" is important here, and I will of course pop into HG or something before taking the plunge to make sure whatever i settle on fits properly and doesnt have any hot spots, but some recommendations of something that is reasonably quiet, I can get a bluetooth headset into (I dont mind if its an integrated/OEM one like the nolan/schuberth one), and one with a flip down sun visor would be nice too, but not essential!

So..what have you guys got at the minute?

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: which helmets are you guys using?
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2013, 02:29:29 am »
I've got a Shoei interceptor at the moment, a few years old now but been great. much better feel than my previous HJC. As you have already said it really depends what fits and what you like.

Cost is a matter of perspective though, It protects your brain and at the end of the day we're pretty useless without them... Some people seem to manage though  :lol

I'm sure some of the cheaper lids will protect you just as well in an accident but you can't really put a price on your own head/brain.

All the best,

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2013, 02:33:28 am »
Shoei raid II at the mo, great lid with some good features, albeit an old design.
 Got a set of speakers I retrofitted and an iPod shuffle built into the neckguard, its ace. Doesn't have the built in dark visor though which would be nice. Pretty quiet on the motorway, but still need plugs.

Best one for being quiet was my old Roof Daytona, brilliant helmet that I just can't throw away even though it really stinks!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2013, 02:44:55 am »
My Aria Astro J is 10+ years old and I have just retired it due to the stink but the fit was fantastic and a lot quieter that my Shoie multitech (cost £250 from helmet city) I like the flip up but the visor could be better as I find I is adjusting it all the time to stop wind noise but I am still bedding it in. I think they got this sorted with the new Neotech.

I did a lot of window shopping and tired every make and model on in the shops and found the size, models and makes that suited my head shape. I then went on line to find the cheapest supplier.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2013, 08:04:18 am »
I use a caberg flip up for the commute and my shoie raid two for longer runs. the new shark lids look good for the price.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2013, 08:50:41 am »
caberg justissimo 2 - decent lid lid with flip down visor and bluetooth ready.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2013, 08:56:16 am »
Duchinni 801 and a Shoei XR 1000.

The Shoei's a lot quieter but both helmets are good.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2013, 10:32:21 am »
I tried a hjc f15 on in hein gericke and then bought last years colour of the net for half price as I'm not really bothered about having the latest and the only difference was the buckle.
Andy

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2013, 10:44:16 am »
My mate is in love with a particular make of helmet because of the fit, the problem he has is the double D buckle, he hates them, he has a dilemma
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2013, 10:59:27 am »
I've had my Arai Viper GT for a few years now.  Great fit and very comfortable, but utterly crap visor system.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2013, 12:38:40 pm »
caberg justissimo 2 - decent lid lid with flip down visor and bluetooth ready.

I have the Justissimo GT, and fitted Bluetooth to it (got an official kit cheap off ebay). It's good, but the shell size is quite big, it weighs a ton compared to some other lids, and the lining does compress more than I was expecting.

Rant over, it's a bloody good lid. Been running it for over a year, no probs. If I was touring / commuting, I'd get another one, as it is, I plan to go for something lighter next time.
The Deef's apprentice

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2013, 12:47:51 pm »
What is this "you can't put a price on protecting your brain" salesman nonsense. If you think that then you must use a back protector too, right? I mean you can't put a price on your motor skills? Or your feet, hands, elbows, knees... We need them all, no question. But I don't believe that the most expensive helmet will save you (Marco Simoncelli anyone).

I have read that the USA have the toughest of all helmet testing regulations in the world. Nothing like our rubbish and pointless "controlled environment" sharp testing. I buy American branded helmets for this reason, although the Gerry's are catching up fast.

« Last Edit: 23 June 2013, 12:48:48 pm by adeejaysdelight »
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2013, 01:13:54 pm »
using the nolan n104
no problems so far :)

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2013, 03:49:22 pm »

IF they all protect as well as each other then price is about comfort and style.

I use a HJC IS16
flip down dark visor, light enough, quiet with chin curtain. double D (my preference)
around £100
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2013, 05:00:41 pm »
I bought a Schuberth C2 as I wanted a flip up for touring and found one at a reasonable price. It was a country mile ahead of all of my previous helmets, so when I found a C3 at a decent price in the Hein Gericke fire sale, I snapped it up too.

Schuberths have vents that work. They give a huge amount of fresh air to your bonce when open, and when closed, it stops the airflow completely. After years of tragic rubbish like the vents on AGV, Nolan etc, it's amazing.

The visor seals perfectly, too, so streaming eyes are a thing of the past and it takes a lot of heavy rain to get any water on the inside of the visor at all. They're very comfortable, and with the smaller shell of the C3, the aerodynamics make it seem like you're not wearing a helmet at all. No bobbling head, no weird feelings when you turn your head at speed either. They're very quiet and the built in sun visor is so useful I honestly think they should be standard across all helmets. It's amazing how often I use it.

I don't work for Schuberth or their suppliers, just before you ask, but I do think they're worth every penny.

Tibbs

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 June 2013, 05:35:06 pm »
I have an HTC ISBT that I bought from HG when they were bust. Nice lid and miles better than my FM lid I was still using 15 years after I bought it... :oops:

Not sure I like the flip up, which makes it a bit heavy, but the sun visor is great for me as I ride in glasses.

Next time I might splash out on something a bit nicer - those Schuberths look pretty sweet and get rave reviews.

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 June 2013, 05:51:24 pm »
I have the shuberth C2 love it makes life much simpler well made fairly quite comfy sun screen built in locks in several positions
and now you can get pin lock visors

if the C3 is as good you cant go wrong !
The only thing I would say against is vision is slighty blocked looking down and left or right ! just the edge of the helmet is in the way but try before you buy

igor5b

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2013, 06:01:06 pm »
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk

Based on the data from the website I bought the helmet which performed best in their tests that was within my budget, ohh and not forgetting how it looks, looks are important haha  :)

Currently have a Caberg V2rr

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 June 2013, 06:20:29 pm »
Shoei XR1100 for the last 3 years and before that the Raid II.
XR1100 is "ok". Brilliant wide visor improves visibility but, even with the Pinlock, it does mist a bit.  >:
Very drafty (which annoyingly does not demist the visor) and quite noisy aswell. Does fit though  ;)

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 June 2013, 06:31:13 pm »
Arai quantum, I love the fit....just don't get the sponge in the cheek pads wet it then smells like damp dog  :lol

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2013, 06:52:48 pm »
I use an:
Arai Quantum
Arai FV
Simpon Shark
Caberg Justissimo GT2
Nitro Carbon
KBC Moto X

They say variety is the spice of life.

Why so many? The Quantum is fitted with headphone and mike for my iPhone. The Arai FV is a spare. The Simpson I use for Karting. The Caberg I used as an instructor and is fitted with helmet to helmet radio set. It's only really used on hot days riding in town now. The Nitro Carbon Fibre lid is a new addition that I picked up half price and was a replacement for the Arai Quantum. And the KBC I use for Grass track racing and out on the KTM sometimes.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2013, 06:55:37 pm by Kosmic Kartman »
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2013, 06:55:34 pm »
Love my Shuberth C3.
Light, quiet(er), double glazed and built in dark visor is brilliant.
The dedicated bluetooth unit is a fortune though so I haven't tried it. Got autocom wired system fitted in it.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2013, 07:50:24 pm »
me got a caberg,2 the wind noise is very bad.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2013, 09:17:35 pm »
Scorpion exo 1000 (with the pump up cheeks)
£50 from infinity's clearance warehouse, happy days
Some say...

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 June 2013, 09:33:16 pm »
so many decisions it seems, who knew there were so many helmets in the world (for wearing, I mean  :lol )