Date: 17-05-24  Time: 22:55 pm

Author Topic: Removing rocker cover  (Read 2493 times)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
Removing rocker cover
« on: 03 November 2013, 12:22:12 pm »
How do you slide the rocker cover out , there isn't enough height to lift it over the water pipes , do you have to remove the metal water pipe , there is an allen bolt underneath the cover near the pipe , does this hold the pipe in place . Thanks in advance for any advice given .

Gray fox

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Removing rocker cover
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2013, 02:42:29 pm »
Just checked the valve clearances on my bike and couldn't get the cover off without removing the water pipes. They are held in by the cap screws as you described. The pipes can be difficult to remove due to corrosion, expect a certain amount of crud to fall into the camshaft housing when you remove the cover, had to clean mine out with rags and a vacuum tool. The pipes are quite difficult to re-install, best done with some grease and a twisting action.
Good Luck

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2013, 03:10:21 pm »
Thanks for that Gray fox , i'm gonna have to get an allen key to fit , I have got the allen keys either side of that which is typical , I have an imperial key that will fit but I will wait until I can get a metric one to be safe , I have spayed some wd40 on as it looks corroded , were you able to twist the pipe out by hand or did you have to use grips to twist it .

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2013, 04:33:46 pm »
I have a hook tool from my windscreen fitting days which I poke between the rubber hose & pipe it is connected to. Run it round to break seal & hose comes off easy peasy normally. I also used a vacuum cleaner with small (home made) attachment fitted to remove as much crap from the bottom of recess as possible before removing the cover.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2013, 06:54:13 pm »
You can remove the cam cover without removing the water pipes :)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2013, 07:12:07 pm »
Cheers Graham B , I will remember that tip for next time  I got the rubber pipes off the metal pipes with a little difficulty , but the thing I am struggling with is getting the cover off over the metal pipes , I have sprayed the pipes and bolts with wd40 in case I have to remove them .
Falcon did you pull the cover out the cam end , I have tried but no joy , if the pipes were 10mm shorter  it would be a easier job , mine is not as badly corroded as the one in picture .     

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2013, 10:03:43 pm »
Hoses off, AIS off (obviously), lift the cam cover up and wriggle it out the right side of the engine, that's to say, over the cam chain and sprocket end.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2013, 07:14:20 am by Falcon 269 »

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2013, 09:36:08 pm »
Thanks Falcon , I will try that over the weekend .