Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:32 pm

Author Topic: Fazer 400 Genuine Headlamp Picture Request  (Read 5804 times)

NJD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Fazer 400 Genuine Headlamp Picture Request
« on: 25 August 2020, 10:05:30 pm »
Hi,

I've just purchased what was advertised as a Yamaha Fazer 400 headlight unit as I'm aware they can be modified to fit the 600 (which I own) and have better lenses than the 600.

I can't help but feel, however, that what I've actually purchased is a 600 unit that was removed from a 400 (seller probably unaware).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS400-FZS-400-Fazer-4YR-Front-Headlight-Head-Light-Lamp-Unit/333699699610?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If anyone can compare, or look at listing photo's (that are still live), and let me know

Thanks

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Fazer 400 Genuine Headlamp Picture Request
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2020, 11:42:42 am »
Not sure about better lenses.
They do take a bulb similar to the H4 but it is not the H4. It is a Japanese special bulb.

the unit in that picture definitely looks like an FZS600 unit to me. The Japanese FZS400 has 2x 3pin bulbs (not actually H4) fitted if I am not mistaken.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2020, 11:49:45 am »
I have just cked in the download section and can confirm the bulbs should both be 36Y-84714-40 which is a really odd bulb.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2020, 08:17:56 pm »
I can't help but feel, however, that what I've actually purchased is a 600 unit that was removed from a 400 (seller probably unaware).

Looking at the picture, it does indeed look like a 600 unit, the left hand lens looks to have the H1 bulb holder in it.   It's been a while since I've seen a 400 lens unit but from memory it doesn't have the bulb cover built into the reflector.
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2020, 08:30:34 pm »
I have just cked in the download section and can confirm the bulbs should both be 36Y-84714-40 which is a really odd bulb.

I've just checked my old ref notes and the part No I've got is 4YR-84314-00, which is the same as, RD500LC and a good few others
Some also had H4 P45t fitted, why I've no idea. 
Yamaha made almost the perfect bike with the FZS600 they just totally screwed up the head light :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 28 August 2020, 10:30:18 am by b1k3rdude »
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2020, 10:07:19 am »
Yamaha made almost the perfect bike with the FZS600 they just totally screwed up the head light

Until they made the 'Foxeye' version  ;)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2020, 10:16:42 am »
Yamaha made almost the perfect bike with the FZS600 they just totally screwed up the head light

Until they made the 'Foxeye' version  ;) 

Even that isn't what it could have been, put it next 2 CBR1000F, VFR  even single units like GSXR's and you'll see what I mean.  It's a huge improvement over the boxeye but still lacking, it's all about money.   
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2020, 10:31:32 am »
I've just purchased what was advertised as a Yamaha Fazer 400 headlight unit as I'm aware they can be modified to fit the 600 (which I own) and have better lenses than the 600.
Is it the headlight unit you need help with or the bulb type..?

NJD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2020, 11:43:23 pm »
Is it the headlight unit you need help with or the bulb type..?

Sorry for the delay in responding to all the above. I realised the inactivity on this part of the forum after posting and didn't think anyone would respond.

Neither, now; to answer the above question.

I realised shortly after purchase that the unit that the seller had advertised was a Fazer 600 MK1 box-eye unit (so the same as the one I have currently fitted). I canceled the order and informed them (not expecting someone to know if all they've done is removed it from zed bike, or split it from a job-lot) and they decided to re-list with the exact same title despite it being for a FZS 600. Sure it will fit a Fazer 400 but there's a difference between the two units (as we know).

For now I'm running with both headlights wired in via a simple wire I got pre-made from eBay, but had read that the Fazer 400 O.E.M headlight unit (that I've since obtained pictures of) offered better reflectors and spread (but are super rare).

I'll see how far into winter I get before the headlights bother me.  :rolleyes

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2020, 09:28:14 am »
  • and they decided to re-list with the exact same title despite it being for a FZS 600. Sure it will fit a Fazer 400 but there's a difference between the two units (as we know).
  • For now I'm running with both headlights wired in via a simple wire I got pre-made from eBay, but had read that the Fazer 400 O.E.M headlight unit (that I've since obtained pictures of) offered better reflectors and spread (but are super rare).
  • Report the auction to ebay, stating incorrect description.
  • I had a boxeye a very long time ago (and quickly upgraded the front end to foxeye), but one of the things I remember was how the cheap reflective coating was so thin that the heat from the halogon bulb would burn through the shit-thin coating. So I thought recomend replacing both bulbs with LED.
So looking at our download section - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=7, I found the parts diagram and it look you have 2x H4 bulbs in there which LED versions can be found on Amazon.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2020, 10:22:53 am »
For now I'm running with both headlights wired in via a simple wire I got pre-made from eBay, but had read that the Fazer 400 O.E.M headlight unit (that I've since obtained pictures of) offered better reflectors and spread (but are super rare).

I'll see how far into winter I get before the headlights bother me.  :rolleyes

If you've done the standard mod, you'll need to adjust the righthand reflector down or you'll be blinding oncoming traffic.  The right hand reflector is set for high beam you need to lower it and by doing so you'll lose an amount of high beam range. 

The best way is to fit up rated bulbs something like Phillps extreme or race, next level is LEDs in both or HID in the low beam, both of which aren't strictly road legal and could well fail an MOT, depends on the tester, police tend not to bother providing they're adjusted correctly.   That said if you get pulled for doing something daft or spot check they could do you, same with end cans, number plates etc. 

Sadly the only real mistake Yamaha did with the FZS 600 Mk1 or boxeye was crap headlights  :rolleyes

Later

NJD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2020, 03:10:22 pm »
The best way is to fit up rated bulbs something like Phillps extreme or race

I do get the feeling that a headlight bulb change wouldn't be a bad thing, but due to funds will have to wait for the moment.

I've read reviews on both the phillips extreme and orsam nightbreakers but each contain mentions of shorter than standard bulb life span. Would replacing the low beam bulb with either a phillips bulb, or orsam, and disconnecting the high beam (meaning it would run on one orsam or phillips bulb on low beam) be enough for better vision in the dark? I don't have a problem with the high beam power, just how much of the road you can't see with the headlights running the way they were designed on low beam -- hence why I wired the high beam bulb to power on with low beam in the first place.

I've heard halfords bulbs are crap in the past, but has anyone tried these?: [size=78%]https://www.halfords.com/motorcycling/bulbs/halfords-bike-it-motorcycle-bulb-hmb472sbb-h4-12v-60%2F55w-917815.html[/size]

I wouldn't really advance beyond a bulb upgrade to the above mentioned ones (phillips, orsam or Halfords) at this point because funds.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2020, 03:15:51 pm »
LED auxiliary spot lights will probably be the best way to go. They give out a good amount of light and are not overly expensive if funds are tight.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2020, 03:34:42 pm »
next level is LEDs in both or HID in the low beam, both of which aren't strictly road legal and could well fail an MOT, depends on the tester, police tend not to bother providing they're adjusted correctly.   
+1,  when going to an MOT I just take a set of standard bulbs with me, as on the Mk1/MK2 600 and 100 its a doddle to change the bulbs.
  • (meaning it would run on one orsam or phillips bulb on low beam) be enough for better vision in the dark? I don't have a problem with the high beam power, just how much of the road you can't see with the headlights running the way they were designed on low beam --
  • I wouldn't really advance beyond a bulb upgrade to the above mentioned ones (phillips, orsam or Halfords) at this point because funds.
  • In my exp. upgrading the bulbs from one halogen to a slight brighter halogen, makes barly any appreciable difference. If like me you want to see more of the road at night, then your only choice is HID or LED
  • Note that now LED headlight kits are common place, they can be had for £25, only £10 than a pair of Philips Xtreme etc.
The best type of LED bulbs are the ones 'with-out' a fan, eg simple heatsink that sits outside the rubber headlight-bulb seal and that plug direct into the exting wiring loom connector gpt example on Amazon - link
Side note regarding LED, the overspli/spalsh from LED is much closer to the original beam pattern than HID. And since migrating to LED I have hardly been flashed by oncoming motorists.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2020, 05:18:52 pm by b1k3rdude »

NJD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2020, 04:56:56 pm »
Food for thought, thank-you both.

I'll see how far into winter I can get with the simple wire / dual headlight modification on whatever bulbs are currently in there and adjust accordingly depending on budget available at the time.

Appreciate the help.

GlenFazer6

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Honda MSX/Grom
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 November 2020, 04:38:23 pm »
Funnily enough, I’ve just bought that exact headlight for my 600! When I clicked the link and saw all the same photos I did get a bit confused. Thanks for cancelling, after hitting a deer a couple of weeks ago I’ve been on the lookout for all the right parts (mainly headlight, going to patch up the nose cone and try to straighten the clocks bracket!)