Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:41 pm

Author Topic: Front wheel feels odd  (Read 922 times)

Slippy

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Front wheel feels odd
« on: 25 February 2022, 05:50:38 pm »
My bike has sat over winter and it starts and runs fine. Brakes have just been refurbed and everything feels good. Apart from the front wheel.

At low ish speeds 20 mph I have to fight against the handle bars to stop them snapping left or right depending on which way I turn.

If I do turn slightly turn right my handles bars want to snap instantly all the way to the right and it feels dangerous like the front is trying to wash out.

Feels like a flat tyre but it’s at 36 psi I tried 40 psi and it’s the same. Front brakes aren’t binding, can’t feel any sloppy ness or grinding in the head bearing, suspension has had new oil and feels good and I haven’t changed the geometry by dropping the forks.

I’m stumped

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Front wheel feels odd
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2022, 09:10:53 pm »
Some things to check:

Put the bike on the centre stand and get someone to push down on the back.

Use fingertip pressure to turn the bars to the left and right and see if there's any grinding/ clicking/ grunching sounds which could indicate the the headset bearings are corroded.

Take hold of the front wheel and try to pull it back and forth to see if the headset is loose.

Look at the tyre and see if there's an uneven wear pattern (ie the tread on one side is more worn than on the other)

Bounce the forks up and down and check that they travel evenly and smoothly and there's no sign of fork oil leakage from the seals (ie oil on the stanchions)

Check that the forks are actually true and the front wheel is straight. If necessary, loosen the bolts on the lower triple tree and bounce the forks to let things re-settle before retightening them.

Hope these help :-)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2022, 09:37:13 pm »
Check the front wheel bearings. Hold the bars with one hand and grip the top of the tyre with the other, rock the tyre one way and the other. If you can feel movement, theyre worn.

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2022, 11:13:13 am »
sounds like the pads are sticking sort your front brakes out check if to much oil in brakes as well as oil heats up it will put pressure on pads and if a pot locks on only on one side thats the snap you will feel