Date: 17-05-24  Time: 17:23 pm

Author Topic: Glazed Pads  (Read 1095 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Glazed Pads
« on: 11 August 2013, 09:37:25 pm »
Until today, I've been using far too much rear brake on this 4th Fazer of mine, often actually locking the rear, and thinking, this ain't right, simply because the front seemed shite. I don't know what pads are in it, but there's still plenty left on them. I thought it might've been because it's still on the original brake hoses. Well, today I deliberately indulged in much heavy use of the front brake, and by the time I was half way through the days antics, lo and behold, I've got decent front brakes again! In fact for most of the way home from Wales, I didn't touch the rear at all. Oh happy days, now maybe I can start to really enjoy riding again! Many of you may have experienced this before, and I've heard about it on many occasions, but it was a new thing for me to experience myself and that surprises me after 30 years of riding bikes.
I wonder what other such delights I've yet to experience?! :rolleyes 

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Glazed Pads
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2013, 10:40:24 pm »
That's interesting....Ive just fit braided hoses in the belief it would improve my front brakes but not much has changed...maybe the pads (ebc hh) are glazed too. Anyway Ive ordered some ebc organic pads which are supposed to be better in the 'initial grab' stakes. Will have to wait and see.

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2013, 10:52:08 pm »
I found the pads glazed over and lost all bite after a track day, several days of normal braking on the road seemed to fix it though. That was with EBC pads, never had a problem with the genuine ones.

Jim.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2013, 10:57:35 pm »
Until today, I've been using far too much rear brake on this 4th Fazer of mine, often actually locking the rear, and thinking, this ain't right, simply because the front seemed shite. I don't know what pads are in it, but there's still plenty left on them. I thought it might've been because it's still on the original brake hoses. Well, today I deliberately indulged in much heavy use of the front brake, and by the time I was half way through the days antics, lo and behold, I've got decent front brakes again! In fact for most of the way home from Wales, I didn't touch the rear at all. Oh happy days, now maybe I can start to really enjoy riding again! Many of you may have experienced this before, and I've heard about it on many occasions, but it was a new thing for me to experience myself and that surprises me after 30 years of riding bikes.
I wonder what other such delights I've yet to experience?! :rolleyes

I did exactly the same thing, spooky. It wasn't around 2.30 was it?

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2013, 11:01:10 pm »
aren't original pads organic?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2013, 11:15:31 pm »
What are you trying to say Mick-H? That Fazer front brakes don't get out of bed before 2:30pm?  :lol
No idea what compound genuine pads are, and no idea what pads are in mine.