Date: 19-04-24  Time: 05:57 am

Author Topic: Where do you put your helmet ? (ooer!)  (Read 5494 times)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you put your helmet ? (ooer!)
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2013, 07:49:55 pm »
99% of the time I always fill up at the same petrol station so I think they've gotten used to seeing me and aren't too worried :)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2013, 08:04:21 pm »
I always put mine on my head as it may get scratched if i drop it on the motorway at 75mph :\
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2013, 07:23:46 am »
Theres no way Im going to put my expensive helmet on the ground or on top of pump @ petrol station. Sometimes you even have to watch for spilled diesel on your boots/tyres-makes for very interesting gear/rear brake control!
Pull up by pump,Flip up helmet, Remove gloves, Get off bike, Fill up, Walk into shop with wallet/money visible Queue, Pay.
Never had a problem...........YET! :lol
Only time I put helmet on seat it rolled off & fell visor first onto tarmac-result new visor as chip/scratches in centre of line of sight-expensive lesson! :eek

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2013, 10:04:31 am »
Is it really that much hassle to take off your helmet to go and pay for some fuel?
Yes, it is!  If I take my lid off then I need to re-do my balaclava, which means taking both gloves off (instead of just one) and undoing my jacket.
Fortunately the petrol station I try to fill up at (it's 3-4p/litre cheaper than the others on the way home!) don't care if I keep it on.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2013, 10:12:52 am »
Is it really that much hassle to take off your helmet to go and pay for some fuel?
Yes, it is!  If I take my lid off then I need to re-do my balaclava, which means taking both gloves off (instead of just one) and undoing my jacket.
Fortunately the petrol station I try to fill up at (it's 3-4p/litre cheaper than the others on the way home!) don't care if I keep it on.

And ear plugs!! :lol  if you wear them.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

pongeroon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW F800R
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2013, 11:08:55 am »
I've only ever been asked to remove my helmet once, the first time I fuelled up after passing my test. In 1994.
Have fuelled up a few times since then :) 

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 May 2013, 11:23:12 am »
Sometimes I tie my helmet to the cargo net that is always on the pillion seat. Once another biker was waiting after me for fuel. He thought the helmet was just unsafely on the seat and warned me. Then I said "it is safe" and started to bounce the bike. But he  :eek did not listen and still caught my helmet like a goalkeeper. I did thank him for his efforts, but he looked a bit ashamed though  :)

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 May 2013, 10:29:12 pm »
I must be really lucky, I never take my helmet off to get petrol, and in 32 years of riding bikes Ive NEVER been asked to remove it. Had one knocked off my mirror once so I always place it on the floor now. When at home they have their own place up out of harms way.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 May 2013, 11:56:57 pm »
I was at Squires a few years ago when Harry landed in his helicopter, blew a couple of helmets (stop it) down the bank at the top of the parking area,
« Last Edit: 25 May 2013, 11:58:27 pm by chaz »

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #34 on: 26 May 2013, 11:46:03 am »
I used to put mine on the right hand mirror. Until, that is, I left it there when I was in John O Groats and it started pissing down when I was in having a coffee. The helmet had a puddle in it when I got to it. The 400+ mile journey ahead was not looking great, and I was on a 125 at the time! Now I carry it with me.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 May 2013, 07:12:16 pm »
I've never needed to take my lid off for fuel but if I remove my lid and will be nearby, like a bike meet, I'll put my gloves on the ground slightly apart and then my lid on the gloves.
I once bought some fuel for the bike and then went to pay and the child serving got in a paddy about the lid. I told him he shouldn't of served me then. He would not take my money or card till I removed the helmet. I nearly buggered off without paying. Was sorely tempted to wear a Burqa and then do a runner.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26 May 2013, 07:22:16 pm »
I once bought some fuel for the bike and then went to pay and the child serving got in a paddy about the lid. I told him he shouldn't of served me then. He would not take my money or card till I removed the helmet. I nearly buggered off without paying.
You would have been bang to rights if you left without paying. You've attempted to pay, and they've refused your payment. Simples!
I just plain refuse to be dictated to because its a big company and they think they can get away with it. Its like being at school!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2013, 12:45:25 am »
I once bought some fuel for the bike and then went to pay and the child serving got in a paddy about the lid. I told him he shouldn't of served me then. He would not take my money or card till I removed the helmet. I nearly buggered off without paying.
You would have been bang to rights if you left without paying. You've attempted to pay, and they've refused your payment. Simples!
I just plain refuse to be dictated to because its a big company and they think they can get away with it. Its like being at school!

This, although I'd also record a video on my phone for when the police came knocking ;)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2013, 01:27:27 am »

This, although I'd also record a video on my phone for when the police came knocking ;)

All you have to do is offer to leave your name, address and a contact number there for them, and if they don't accept that, then you can just walk out! My dad did the exact same thing, the police came round, he told them what had happened and they basically went to the petrol station concerned and told them to stop wasting the fuzz's time.

badger

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 May 2013, 10:18:36 am »
+1 for the pillion foot peg

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 May 2013, 11:04:27 am »
I take mine off when filling up - mostly because I listen to my ipod when riding and need to take out the ear phones.

I'd never leave my lid unattended though, can't trust the Irish not to rob it unfortunately, at least in Dublin anyway.

I find it can rest nicely at the front of the tank though leaning back towards the handle bars. The bars form a nice bend to stop it rolling either direction. Only leave it there when locking up and unlocking the bike though.