Would you be willing to take a covid vaccine  

yes
35 (71.4%)
no
6 (12.2%)
Dont know
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: The Covid thread  (Read 70818 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: The Covid thread
« Reply #475 on: 05 May 2021, 12:05:07 pm »

Most of Europe's second wave has been attributed to the what is being referred to as the 'Kent variant'.

Why is that relevant?.

As Grahamm says, it's simply called that because it was the first place that particular variant was detected.
Yes the EU were very quick to condemn Trump when he was calling it the Wuhan virus.But they are now quite happy to call it the Kent variant.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2021, 12:06:08 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: 05 May 2021, 12:24:27 pm »
Also the EU has recommended to let travellers enter to boost the tourism industry. So on one hand they are blaming the UK for their covid mess-up and at the same time wanting our tourist money. After years of calling British tourist all manner things they are now desperate for our money perhaps in the future they will not be so quick to bite the hand that feeds.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: 05 May 2021, 01:10:31 pm »
Why is that relevant?.
As Grahamm says, it's simply called that because it was the first place that particular variant was detected.

Which is why our second wave preceded Europe's.
'We' thought it was all over during the summer. 'We' were too busy 'Eating Out To Spread It About'. The Science said beware of mutations, and we were too busy resurrecting the economy. So lots more people died.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: 05 May 2021, 01:26:40 pm »
Why is that relevant?.

we were too busy resurrecting the economy.

I hear that a lot from people who are not impacted by a failing economy.

'We' were too busy 'Eating Out To Spread It About'. The Science said beware of mutations,
Show me where the Government scientist warned the Government not to roll out eat out to help out.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #479 on: 05 May 2021, 01:41:49 pm »
A reminder for you. He said that in Feb 2020 (in my post I got it wrong as I said March ) but he actually said it on February 26 at which time the US had 60 cases.
 Also on the same day 26th Feb TheWHO noted that "...14 countries that have had cases have not reported a case for more than a week, and even more importantly, 9 countries have not reported a case for more than two weeks: Belgium, Cambodia, Finland, India, Nepal, Philippines, the Russian Federation, Sri Lanka and Sweden.
 So your attaching todays figures to what Trump said in Feb 2020 is basically fake news  ;)

What on earth are you talking about??

You're saying "he was proved essentially correct" about what he said in February 2020, but "a little flu" doesn't cause almost 600,000 deaths!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: 05 May 2021, 01:45:28 pm »
Yes the EU were very quick to condemn Trump when he was calling it the Wuhan virus.But they are now quite happy to call it the Kent variant.

Trump was using the expression "Chinese virus" to stoke up nationalism and xenophobia amongst his supporters.

And calling the *virus* Chinese is not the same as saying that a *variant* has been detected in a certain location.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #481 on: 05 May 2021, 01:48:23 pm »
"...14 countries that have had cases have not reported a case for more than a week, and even more importantly, 9 countries have not reported a case for more than two weeks: Belgium, Cambodia, Finland, India, Nepal, Philippines, the Russian Federation, Sri Lanka and Sweden.

They were not testing anyone at the time so would not have got any positive results
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: 05 May 2021, 01:51:52 pm »
Show me where the Government scientist warned the Government not to roll out eat out to help out.

You mean the way that the Government *did not* consult scientists before rolling it out...?

Another damning report has been released into the Government’s handling of the Coronavirus pandemic, this time revealing how ministers failed to properly utilise scientific advice.

Of particular note, the Institute for Government (IfG) report states that Chancellor Rishi Sunak did not consult scientific experts before launching his ‘Eat Out to Help Out’ scheme this Summer. The discount scheme, which provided cheaper meals to people visiting restaurants, was called “epidemiologically illiterate” by experts interviewed by the IfG.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/12/21/eat-out-to-help-out-scheme-epidemiologically-illiterate-rishi-sunak-failed-to-consult-scientists/

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: 05 May 2021, 01:58:12 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 12:58:34 pm by YamFazFan »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: 05 May 2021, 03:03:59 pm »
A reminder for you. He said that in Feb 2020 (in my post I got it wrong as I said March ) but he actually said it on February 26 at which time the US had 60 cases.
 Also on the same day 26th Feb TheWHO noted that "...14 countries that have had cases have not reported a case for more than a week, and even more importantly, 9 countries have not reported a case for more than two weeks: Belgium, Cambodia, Finland, India, Nepal, Philippines, the Russian Federation, Sri Lanka and Sweden.
 So your attaching todays figures to what Trump said in Feb 2020 is basically fake news  ;)

What on earth are you talking about??

You're saying "he was proved essentially correct" about what he said in February 2020, but "a little flu" doesn't cause almost 600,000 deaths!
Yes essentially correct by referring to it being a little like regular flu IN THAT just like regular flu we have shots for it every year and that one will be developed very soon.
Here is the quote again for you.  "It's a little like a regular flu that we have flu shots for. And we'll essentially have a flu shot for this in a fairly quick manner.

In that quote he wasn't saying it was like flu - as in the symptoms and outcome he was referring to how it will be delt with. I still cannot find where trump called covid "a little flu"
« Last Edit: 05 May 2021, 03:07:24 pm by fazersharp »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: 05 May 2021, 05:09:52 pm »
So, in 2020, Trump knew more than the assembled medical knowlege of the planet...?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #486 on: 05 May 2021, 05:18:22 pm »

So, in 2020, Trump knew more than the assembled medical knowlege of the planet...?

Not just in 2020, that guy is a complete genius pillock :pokefun

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: 05 May 2021, 07:33:27 pm »
BBC news item - people returning to the UK from India and Pakistan (on the red list ) are avoiding having to quarantine here by first flying to Turkey. Get ready for a spike in covid rates in the usual towns and cities. 
« Last Edit: 05 May 2021, 07:36:43 pm by fazersharp »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #488 on: 05 May 2021, 08:00:04 pm »
:agree

I just read that article and wondered 2 things

1. are these people sensible
or
2. are they stupid

If they stay in Turkey for 10-11 days then legally what they are doing is fine. An extra holiday for much less than the Boris Hotel scheme but......
Once they do arrive back in the UK are they doing the quarantine at home like they are meant to? I doubt it - Boris & Co need to do physical checks on 100% of people coming back to make sure they are where they state they will be staying rather than the phone call they do for most of the 10% they currently check.

If they just do a couple off days and then lie about where they have been, I hope the feccers get a good hiding with the rubber hoses in the detention cells when immigration see the stamps in their passports proving they were lying.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: 05 May 2021, 08:05:18 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 12:58:57 pm by YamFazFan »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: 05 May 2021, 08:13:08 pm »
:agree

I just read that article and wondered 2 things

1. are these people sensible
or
2. are they stupid

If they stay in Turkey for 10-11 days then legally what they are doing is fine. An extra holiday for much less than the Boris Hotel scheme but......
Once they do arrive back in the UK are they doing the quarantine at home like they are meant to? I doubt it - Boris & Co need to do physical checks on 100% of people coming back to make sure they are where they state they will be staying rather than the phone call they do for most of the 10% they currently check.

If they just do a couple off days and then lie about where they have been, I hope the feccers get a good hiding with the rubber hoses in the detention cells when immigration see the stamps in their passports proving they were lying.
Turkey needs to be added to the Red list as does any other sh1t hole of a country that is being used like this. 

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: 06 May 2021, 11:46:05 am »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 12:59:09 pm by YamFazFan »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: 06 May 2021, 05:40:08 pm »
I hear that a lot from people who are not impacted by a failing economy.
32,646 deaths from Covid-19 in January 21. The highest by far, and following the summer easing of lockdown restrictions

Try telling the relatives that the economy was more important.....

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: 06 May 2021, 05:44:10 pm »
Ah OK. I thought for a minute there that you might have been suggesting that The EU's second wave was all our fault

No more so, than the first wave was China's fault  :)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: 06 May 2021, 05:52:40 pm »
Turkey needs to be added to the Red list as does any other sh1t hole of a country that is being used like this.
Yet we didn't close all travel out of the UK until mid January, when we were deep into the second wave with 1,000 deaths each day, and before any immunisation.
Were we a 'sh1thole country'?

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: 06 May 2021, 08:04:15 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 12:59:36 pm by YamFazFan »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: 06 May 2021, 10:58:00 pm »
Do you think the current road map the government has for lifting restrictions is too quick, too slow or about right?
The four governments are lifting restrictions at roughly the same pace, and seem to be getting it about right. But they must be prepared to reverse if the science tells them otherwise. I'd rather see a new set of restrictions rather than ''bodies piled high in the streets''

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: 07 May 2021, 08:26:53 am »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 12:59:52 pm by YamFazFan »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: 07 May 2021, 11:36:12 am »
Do you think the current road map the government has for lifting restrictions is too quick, too slow or about right?
The four governments are lifting restrictions at roughly the same pace, and seem to be getting it about right.
Its good that you support Borris Johnson. I do not, given the success of the vax rollout there are many areas where they could take intermediate steps to relax restrictions, like they have just done for funerals and care homes.

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #499 on: 07 May 2021, 12:37:03 pm »
At least with "bodies piled high in the streets" the potholes would be filled.....
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!