Date: 28-04-24  Time: 10:03 am

Author Topic: Helmest Camera  (Read 2243 times)

Davefc

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Helmest Camera
« on: 06 October 2014, 05:21:32 pm »
Hi to all, Im thinking about getting a helmet camera. Has anybody got one fitted and what do they think are the best ones. GoPro seem to do a good range but they are expensive. Mounting is my main concern so any ideas would be welcome.
Dave

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Helmest Camera
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2014, 09:04:56 am »
I have a Mobius camera and its excellent.  Its as good, if not better, as my mates GoPro 2 HD.  I think the GoPro 3 is better in low light but the Mobius is as good as you need, in the dark I can read reg plates and see everything.

I got the JooVuu waterproof case for it, jobs a good un.
Intentionally left blank

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2014, 11:13:39 am »
I use the RoadHawk Ride. Not bad for a dinky bullet camera, that's not too overpriced. 720p, bit basic feature wise, but reasonable quality.

I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about the Chinese SJ1000 and SJ4000 cameras, both available for under a Monkey.  The latter being a complete Go-Pro knock off, same size and compatible with case and mountings. Work colleague recently picked up the SJ4000 to bold to his Caterham 7 on track days, rates it pretty well.

Davefc

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2014, 04:36:16 pm »
Thanks for response, one of my main concerns is how it stays on the helmet. I dont want a strap holder and i'm concerned about a sucton cup, as my phone one falls off the car regularly.

The Gentleman Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2014, 08:52:42 pm »
I use a Drift HD 1080p. They can be had for about £155 and use a thick 3M sticky pad on the back of a mount. You clip the camera into the mount and it's amazingly strong.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2014, 09:48:34 am »
I had similar concerns about the mount and didn't really like the tellytubby look of a top mounted gopro.  I made one for the mobius by cutting the bottom off a lunchbox, heating it gently so I could form it into a slight curve.  I then cut a "cradle" out of some half inch thick neoprene that the camera sits in snugly.  I glued this to the lunchbox bottom with evostick and used double sided tape to stick the whole lot to the helmet.  A bit of tape holds the camera in place (duck tape or whatever), it looks pretty good and is a bit more discreet than something mounted off the helmet. 

I have had this on for a while now and it works well, I often remove the camera to put it in the car/aeroplane etc.  The foam is now showing a bit of wear as the tape pulls a "skin" off when you remove it, I have thought about integrating some sort of screw to hold it in place...
Intentionally left blank

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2014, 09:58:44 am »
New gopro is out with the 'budget' model at £99
Considering this budget model is the same video quality as the gopro2 it is a bargain tbh!
But they have done a very clever price structure with the next model up being £150 but extra features included.

After two years daily use of my gopro2 it's finally bust, buttons had kinda broke a few months ago but the usb charging port has broken it's attachment to the motherboard.

Out of all the cameras though the gopro is the most conspicuous no matter how you mount it!

I've not had one single pad come loose however I have a tether connected to the camera for extra piece of mind
« Last Edit: 08 October 2014, 10:03:35 am by Punkstig »
Some say...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2014, 02:24:06 pm »
I made one for the mobius by cutting the bottom off a lunchbox, heating it gently so I could form it into a slight curve.  I glued this to the lunchbox bottom with evostick and used double sided tape to stick the whole lot to the helmet.  it looks pretty good and is a bit more discreet than something mounted off the helmet. 

I can not believe it as that is exactly what I have done
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2014, 02:54:07 pm »
wow, yours looks so much more professional!!

You must have got the last Dora the Explorer one too, I had to make do with a poxy Power Puff Girls box...
Intentionally left blank

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2014, 08:47:19 pm »
 :rollin

Looks legit!

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2014, 11:58:53 am »
Can't believe this thread has escaped the double-entendre brigade?

A helmet camera to film while he's mounting...................fnaaaaaaaaaar, fnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar :evil
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2014, 01:53:15 pm »
It's important to have a stiff mounting, you don't want it drooping just at the climax of the ride...

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 October 2014, 02:58:08 pm »
Lol u complete filth bucket hehe
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))