Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:24 am

Author Topic: Boots and gloves  (Read 2899 times)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Boots and gloves
« on: 29 March 2013, 12:17:44 am »
Just thought I'd ask - how long do bike boots and bike gloves last people? My boots are 14 months old, and on the way out. I give them another 6 months (and only because of summer. If we get one). As for gloves, I'm getting through my last pair (Spadas) in 9 months, and my current RSTs (bought in October) will be knackered by the end of summer.

How long does gear last you chaps?
The Deef's apprentice

Ash69

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Boots and gloves
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2013, 12:44:03 am »
Hahahahahaha - my boots are about 13 YEARS old although that's probably because I can't afford to replace them with what I want ......... just keep looking after them with proper dubin couple of times a year.

Gloves are a different matter, new pair every couple of years cos they do wear out and you can't put dubin on gloves  :'(

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2013, 12:44:42 am »
Well my boots have just done 12 months,will maybe last another 3 or 4 till binned,as for gloves bought a set of bone dry in April last year and they did,nt  even see October out,got a set of weise gloves in Oct and there still like new as are the Gerbings but only got them in January.(second hand though).

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2013, 06:18:33 am »
I got a pair of these last year and am expecting them to give me 15 + years of service with maybe a resole at some point....

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/clubmanroadster/

There are plenty of reviews by riders who have had them last for 10 + years. Not stylish but 100% waterproof.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2013, 10:56:48 am »
Yup I bought a pair of Altberg's in 1999 and I'm still wearing em.
I could probably do with replacing em now, but you know I might get another year or two out of em yet.

Not stylish?  Well OK they are a bit captain sensible but certainly look much much better then the multi coloured embarrassing  over priced plastic junk that most people seem to go for.

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2013, 12:36:49 pm »
Years
and
Years
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2013, 02:19:43 pm »
+ another on the altbergs, been using various forms of them for years. I remember a bike mag test gave them a highly recommended rating, and the engineer wouldn't put them on the sole crush machine, as they'd break it!

Also got a pair of Bulson boots for the rare warm weather, had them for about 3 years, and just wearing out. Very lightweight, and comfortable.

Gloves, your lucky to get 12 months out of em if you ride all year round.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2013, 03:26:48 pm »
I bought my Daytona Roadstars in 1995 & they're still going strong & waterproof 18 winters later.  No fancy colours, trendy plastic gee-gaws or 'must have' acronyms, just high quality materials assembled by German craftsmen rather than bits of plastic cobbled together by 8 year olds in a 3rd world sweatshop!

As the saying goes "Buy quality, buy once".   :)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2013, 10:54:25 pm »
My last pair of Alpinestar Goretex lasted about 7 years/20K miles. My new pair of TCX X-tours http://www.visordown.com/product-features/showcase-waterproof-boots/19936-11.html look like they will at least do the same.
As to winter gloves, probably only 2 years, but at only £25 a go I usually stock up on these http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/on-road-gear-motorcycle-gloves-all-motorbike-gloves/3586-tech-7-otto-2-motorcycle-gloves.html Nice and warm and dry

durchy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2013, 11:05:19 pm »
Went up to Yorkshire to get my Altberg Clubman Roadsters 8 years ago.
Fantastic quality product, will probably last another 8 years easily!

The older we get the better we were!

Ben Diesel

• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 March 2013, 03:30:18 pm »
Bought my Daytona Travel Star GTX boots in August 2006. They cost me £250 at the time which made me weep; but I've used them just about every day since and I estimate they've covered about 90,000 miles in all weathers. They have never leaked, all the seams and seals are intact, all the zips and velcro are in good shape. They fit my unfeasibly wide feet and they don't even smell too bad. If I had to guess, probably another 3 or 4 years life left in them. Absolute bargain.

My gloves of choice are Alpinestars 365 Goretex, £160 a pair. I'm currently on my third pair of these in 6 years (the second pair I have kept as a spare in case the main pair get soaked); I reckon they last about 25,000 miles a pair. The main drawback with these has been the first two pairs, the fabric inner lining working free from the stitching at the fingertips, they're a bugger to get back on your hands when the lining turns inside-out. What I like about these is that the leather has never stretched, they fit as snugly as they did when they were brand new.

I guess I'm from the 'you get what you pay for' school; mainly down to the past experience of buying cheap kit and having it fall apart inside 12 months. Now, I bite my lip and pay what a lot of people might consider to be big money for top quality kit. Never regretted it.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 March 2013, 03:33:07 pm »
+1
Alpinestars do brilliant gloves and boots. I always buy them. Top bucks but top quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))