• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
Re: KFC
« Reply #50 on: 10 February 2013, 12:59:58 pm »
First and last time I ate KFC was 27 February 1979 04.30 Grays Inn Road, Kings Cross.

Ate it. Left 'restaurant'. Immediately threw up in street. And I had not been drinking or drugging.

Never touched that shit since.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10 February 2013, 01:19:06 pm »
I heard that bandit riders have an increased chance of cancer.....
See my above post, snoring increases your chance of cancer ;) :D

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 10 February 2013, 05:04:47 pm »
This food has been on display for 2 years,not a single bug or microbe has touched it,it hasnt gone mouldy!

When was that photo taken?

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger Sport- V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 10 February 2013, 05:46:34 pm »
4/22/2010 That what is says under the picture.

Tibbs

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
KFC
« Reply #54 on: 11 February 2013, 12:08:40 pm »
Ah, that good old picture.

Couple of things to note:

Just because it's not covered in mould doesn't mean it's not off. It will be rancid and would make you very ill if you ate it.

The reason it isn't mouldy is because it's dry. There's no ketchup or mustard on the burger and the fries are well salted. Dry food means no mould. Ever seen prosciutto? It's made the way it is for just this reason.

You could take home made bread and a hand made beef burger and wind up with exactly the same picture.

And don't even get me started on fast food nation. The guy had an underlying liver condition (which he didn't bother to mention) and went from a vegan diet straight to a diet where he got all of his protein from meat. Having seen a flat mate go from a meat-based diet to a vegan diet overnight, radically changing your diet in any way means your body has to adapt to cope and that means temporary side effects.

There was a Swedish study (I think) that attempted to recreate fast food nation under reliable conditions. The students didn't even put on any weight.

There's propaganda on both sides. I don't eat fast food, so I'm hardly on their side, but don't discount the (more insidious IMO) propaganda of the anti fast food brigade.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2013, 12:12:44 pm by Tibbs »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 11 February 2013, 12:20:40 pm »
Well mr tibbs,thanks for pissin on my parade :D

I've no doubt you're right, i got it off facebook then fogged it off as my own,shame on me!!!!

If it gets folk eatin more healthy then that's what matters though so im all for it.

I watched that experiment on telly where they simulated a house wi lots of different foods,a big glass box it was,i can't remember anything in the house lasting as well as those burgers,the flies were horrendous,it showed the natural order of things.

Back to the thread though i dont know why i don't like kfc as i do have the odd mcdonalds,subway etc but kfc somehow pisses me off,maybe the decor or the stupid uniform or somethin.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11 February 2013, 07:47:29 pm »
And don't even get me started on fast food nation. The guy had an underlying liver condition (which he didn't bother to mention) and went from a vegan diet straight to a diet where he got all of his protein from meat. Having seen a flat mate go from a meat-based diet to a vegan diet overnight, radically changing your diet in any way means your body has to adapt to cope and that means temporary side effects.

There was a Swedish study (I think) that attempted to recreate fast food nation under reliable conditions. The students didn't even put on any weight.

To me Fast Food Nation is much more than just a book about junk food.  It may well in fact be a book about the history of Fast Food and today's American food industry, but it's also a book about capitalism and globalisation, and it's the fast food industry that has led the way in modern industrial greed and propaganda.

As far as I am aware Eric   Schlosser has never been been a vegetarian never mind a vegan.  Never heard of the liver condition either.  Fast Food Nation is a meticulously researched and detailed piece of quality investigative journalism.  It's also a great read, Eric Schlosser is not only a good journalist but an excellent and entertaining writer, the book is in fact a bit of a 'page turner'.  It cannot simply be dismissed as mere propaganda.  Anybody who is remotely interested in where their food comes from and practises of the global food industry should read it.  And I'll bet if you never given it much thought before, well you might just give it a little bit more thought after you've read Eric's excellent book.

I'm not a vegetarian but, having been in these plants and feedlots and processing facilities, I'm very angry about how the big agribusiness companies are producing our meat. I've thought about [being vegetarian] and I think there are very strong arguments for it, not just on the more selfish health-oriented grounds, but really on ethical, moral grounds. I have friends who are ranchers. I don't know. There are glutamate receptors in our taste buds, which are clearly linked to the consumption of meat. For me, the important thing is some kind of connection to what you are doing, some kind of respect, and somehow affording a sense of dignity to these creatures that we have co-existed with for thousands of years. Our current system doesn't do this. People have so little idea of how cattle and hogs and poultry are being raised and slaughtered. For me it was really important to let them know. You can read the book and become vegetarian, or keep eating meat, but you really should know where your food is coming from, and we don't. We're such a suburban urbanized nation that's completely cut off from any sense of this.    Eric Schlosser

http://www.indiebound.org/author-interviews/schlossereric 
« Last Edit: 11 February 2013, 07:48:02 pm by VNA »

Tibbs

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
KFC
« Reply #57 on: 12 February 2013, 08:56:07 am »
Ah, bear in mind I mixed up fast good nation (quite an interesting book) with Super Size Me (load of tosh). Apologies for that.

Things are never as simple as we think. Also bear in mind that a lot of the bad stuff we hear is from the USA where laws about animal husbandry are much more lax than the UK and Europe.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 12 February 2013, 09:47:16 am »
Silly tibbs

Go sit on the naughty step!

Does this forum have a naughty step?

Supersize me was entertaining though,every time they said 'do you wanna supersize that?' He had to say yes.

Like every time my mrs says ' should we get a takeaway' i also hav to say yes :rolleyes
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 12 February 2013, 12:05:47 pm »
I like the Zinger tower meal and the Fully Loaded box meal mmm  :b Feck all wrong with KFC  :D
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 12 February 2013, 08:11:15 pm »
Things are never as simple as we think. Also bear in mind that a lot of the bad stuff we hear is from the USA where laws about animal husbandry are much more lax than the UK and Europe.

US food standards are arguably some of the lowest in the western world.  However considering that Findus Beef Lasagne turns out to be Findus Horse Lasagne in reality and that fast food restaurants source their meat internationally, well make up your own mind, I know I've made up mine.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2013, 10:53:24 pm by VNA »

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 13 February 2013, 06:49:37 am »
I read somewhere that during the Vietnam war there were decomposing bodies of dead soldiers from both sides lay around the jungle, it was noted that the American bodies did not decompose for at least two weeks longer than the locals due to the fact of the Americans diet with food preservatives and chemicals in them.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 13 February 2013, 07:44:15 am »
4/22/2010 That what is says under the picture.

So it doesn't show us what the food looks like now...

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 13 February 2013, 07:49:37 am »
The reason it isn't mouldy is because it's dry. There's no ketchup or mustard on the burger and the fries are well salted. Dry food means no mould. Ever seen prosciutto? It's made the way it is for just this reason.

You could take home made bread and a hand made beef burger and wind up with exactly the same picture.

There's propaganda on both sides. I don't eat fast food, so I'm hardly on their side, but don't discount the (more insidious IMO) propaganda of the anti fast food brigade.

Fair points. There may be propaganda on both sides, but one side is trying to keep people healthy. I mean shock, horror, students didn't get fat eating burgers?

Have a gander at what happens when you compare your "hand made" burgers with the long-life fast food crap;

The Decomposition Of McDonald's Burgers And Fries.