Date: 28-04-24  Time: 17:35 pm

Author Topic: Mixing tyres manufacturers  (Read 1749 times)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Mixing tyres manufacturers
« on: 05 June 2012, 05:29:17 pm »
I just bought a metzeler roadtec z6 to match theback which had plenty of tread left. However after a bit of hard riding the back tyre has puncured and shreaded a bit. Being a bit tight I am looking to keep the z6 on the front, but I am being recomended by my mate to put a Pirelli Diablo on the back as they are from the same manufacturer rather than the metzeller z8....any one out there offer any advice

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Mixing tyres manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2012, 06:34:55 pm »
There has been loads of post on the site relating to mixing tyres and whether you should or not.
Quotes from individuals and dealers saying its fine and quotes from individuals and manufactorers saying don't so any advice is totally subjective and based wholly on personal opinion.
End of the day the rubber is what sticks you to the road so personally I never mix tyres  ;) 

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2012, 08:11:47 am »

i've said it before and i'll say it again:

there's two rules to running any vehicle:- 1) never skimp on tyres and brakes and 2) never skimp on tyres and brakes.

if you were a bit tight you wouldn't be running a 1000cc motorbike, you'd be bimbling about at half throttle on a c70 and closely monitoring your mpg.
is it clean enough?

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2012, 10:51:58 am »
I have often mixed brands front and rear, I don't like to but sometimes I have to. It can make the bike feel odd this could be real or just in your head though. Some mixs seem to feel ok and others have felt like I would die LOL.
If you don't HAVE to do it then don't. But if needs must then try it, if it feels ok then great but if it don't feel right then don't carry on risking it.

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2012, 02:35:56 pm »
Not sure that Pirelli and Metzeler tyres are "the same" - bit like saying Ford and Volvo are the same................ if you're going to mix tyres I'd have thought it didn't matter whose they were. Jap Dunlops are very different to British Dunlops, but they're still "the same" Dunlops.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2012, 02:41:13 pm »
No problem mixing tyres, as long as the front one is not less grippy than the rear one. Pirelli and Metzeler tyres are practicaly the same (similar models). Not sure Diablos are better than Z8, but get whichever is cheaper.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2012, 05:50:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I have ordered Pirelli Diablo's front and back wheel just to be on the safe side.

I now have a Metzeller Roadtec Z6 for sale, less than 100 miles so nicely scrubbed in going for £70

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2012, 05:57:34 pm »
ive got a continental conti front and a bt-014 rear i find them purfect just done 700 miles on both and no problems

Ben Diesel

• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2012, 08:16:15 pm »
I'm running a BT-023 front and Avon Storm 2 Ultra rear. No problems at all.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2012, 06:49:58 am »
While it may be ok to "mix & match" different brands/patterns of tyre I will stick to matched pairs from a particular supplier. I even do this with the "cage". Everyone has their own preference-guess theres nothing wrong with any of the manufacturers products. Ive always been happy with Bridgestones,Dunlop & Pirelli but as a more sedate rider these days I dont get anywhere near "exploring the limits" :eek

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2012, 08:18:45 pm »
I've never had any issues mixing tyres on my two bikes. I would prefer storms front and rear but  not going to throw away good tyres away when they cost so much