Date: 27-04-24  Time: 19:09 pm

Author Topic: servicing - your routine ?  (Read 1601 times)

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
servicing - your routine ?
« on: 03 June 2012, 09:21:52 pm »
i'm planning to make myself a list of things to do to my bike at regular intervals.
oil change, filter changes, plugs, etc......
how often do you change yours ?

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: servicing - your routine ?
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2012, 09:47:29 pm »
plugs 8k miles
Oil and filter 4k miles
Air filter clean it every 4k
Chain - clean and oil every 500 mile ;)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2012, 08:44:19 am »
plugs 8k miles
Oil and filter 4k miles
Air filter clean it every 4k
Chain - clean and oil every 500 mile ;)

Spark plags should be OK for double that mileage? Why so often?
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2012, 09:51:07 am »
Have you got the owners instruction book or a Haynes manual for your bike? This lists all the service jobs & mileage intervals. Photocopy & tick off as you do the jobs! :) Simples! Think Yamaha recommended a 4000m service interval on early models,later extended to 6000m.

Ben Diesel

• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2012, 11:37:15 am »
 :agree   Download Yamaha workshop manual. Set up a spreadsheet with a worksheet for each service interval. List each task you're expected to do at each service. Tick them off as you go along. Pass on the spreadsheet as its service history when you sell the bike.

I no longer have the spreadsheets for my FZS600s but I have the templates set up for my current bikes (FZ1 and VFR). They can be easily adapted for the FZS600. Drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll email them across to you.

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2012, 09:48:41 pm »
Whether you do the linkage and head-race lubrication depends very much on when you ride it.
I think they say "every 2 years" but frankly if you only ever ride in the dry then you can push it well beyond that.
Also - do the rear linkage before the head-race cos it sits in the spray plume from the front wheel whereas the headrace sits high and dry behind a fairing.
I use 4 years for linkage and I'm never greasing the headrace ever again.

Also - coolant: at 4 years I extracted the coolant, noted that it was pristine blue color, tested it in the freezer at -15C and put it straight back in the engine.
I'm never changing that again either. (I might test it every 2 years).

Oil - change by mileage not by date- mine's been in there 3 years now (3000 miles) and as long as you heat the engine up avery month to kill the bugs that live in damp oil then they can't eat your oil filter paper element and it evaporates any condensation - prevents corrosion.

12 years and counting!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2012, 07:40:12 am »
Whether you do the linkage and head-race lubrication depends very much on when you ride it.
I think they say "every 2 years" but frankly if you only ever ride in the dry then you can push it well beyond that.
Also - do the rear linkage before the head-race cos it sits in the spray plume from the front wheel whereas the headrace sits high and dry behind a fairing.
I use 4 years for linkage and I'm never greasing the headrace ever again.

Also - coolant: at 4 years I extracted the coolant, noted that it was pristine blue color, tested it in the freezer at -15C and put it straight back in the engine.
I'm never changing that again either. (I might test it every 2 years).

Oil - change by mileage not by date- mine's been in there 3 years now (3000 miles) and as long as you heat the engine up avery month to kill the bugs that live in damp oil then they can't eat your oil filter paper element and it evaporates any condensation - prevents corrosion.

12 years and counting!

Linkage - for sunny riding no reason to fiddle with.

Oil: mileage AND date. If I've made more than 4000 kilometres and It's been more than a year in the engine, it's time to change. If it's new, it can last up to 10,000 kilometres (for longer trips open road etc).

Coolant: too cheap to sweat it. I change mine as it's written on the bottle of the coolant manufacturer (poured some red Valvoline stuff that should last for 5 year change interval).

Every autumn, before "winter sleep", oil and clean cables. Every second spring clean KN air filter. Spark plugs every 24.000 kms as per manufacturer's advice - just to be on the safe side, since I use the bike for traveling.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.