Date: 17-05-24  Time: 21:48 pm

Author Topic: AIS removal kits  (Read 2041 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
AIS removal kits
« on: 13 November 2011, 10:15:34 pm »
looking on ebay i found this kit for the R1 from the states http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPO-Yamaha-R1-1998-2003-AIS-Emissions-Removal-Kit-/230625763735?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b25de197 it says there is no need for any locking screws,no tapping,the plugs are self locking and the kit comes with the airbox blanking plugs as well,question is any ideas how this kit is self locking,looks like a cheap way to buy a kit

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: AIS removal kits
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2011, 11:08:35 pm »
Ayup solorider, ive done the ais removal on 2 gen1 nows the 1st kit i used is the one you have in you post and the other one using justy's kit, now my opinion i prefer the ebay kit because it leaves the area free of all plugs and looks neat, and at the time i could not find the link on ebay  :\  so went with justy's kit and if your not aware the quality of his stuff is A1.

How the ebay kit works you push the cap in and in the other end is a ballbearing as you tap this in it pushes the wall of the cap out making a perfect seal and is pish easy to fit.

Dave

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2011, 06:22:22 am »
I believe the TPO kit is the one that requires you to remove the AIS stub from the exhaust header.  If so, those are a shrink-fitted part at the factory and can be a pain to remove as several owners have found out.

Sounds like CT had no such problems but something to be aware of when making your choice. :)

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2011, 10:29:13 am »
I believe the TPO kit is the one that requires you to remove the AIS stub from the exhaust header.  If so, those are a shrink-fitted part at the factory and can be a pain to remove as several owners have found out.

Sounds like CT had no such problems but something to be aware of when making your choice. :)

You are correct mike regarding removal of the ais stub, i also had no problem removing the stubs sounds like i was lucky .  :D

justy1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2011, 07:07:41 pm »
Ayup solorider, ive done the ais removal on 2 gen1 nows the 1st kit i used is the one you have in you post and the other one using justy's kit, now my opinion i prefer the ebay kit because it leaves the area free of all plugs and looks neat, and at the time i could not find the link on ebay  :\  so went with justy's kit and if your not aware the quality of his stuff is A1.

How the ebay kit works you push the cap in and in the other end is a ballbearing as you tap this in it pushes the wall of the cap out making a perfect seal and is pish easy to fit.

Dave

thanks for that mr cable tie.

good to hear someone is happy with my work.  :) not often i hear that, not even at work!

justy1000