Date: 28-04-24  Time: 09:50 am

Author Topic: Right hand pillion footrest/exhaust mount  (Read 3512 times)

Nitro159

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Kawasaki ER-5
    • View Profile
Right hand pillion footrest/exhaust mount
« on: 14 March 2013, 12:28:45 pm »
Hey all, new owner here

I was changing my exhaust over to a new shiny one, when I came a cropper, the aftermarket exhaust manufacturer sent out came with one nut bolt and washer plus no instructions (by accident but how hard can it be?)

So I remove the hanger for the old exhaust (old exhaust already off at this point) and after a quick phone call the company I work out that my model of the FZ is different to the one they used when fitting the exhaust to it for demo purposes. The 2 bolts that go through the hanger and into the footrest don't come out the other side on mine (2012) whereas the 2010 model they fitted it to originally requires the nut to hold the bolt in place meaning it must come through and out the other side?

They're currently going down to their local dealer to compare this but I'm wondering if anybody out there with the FZ8 (faired or unfaired I don't think it matters as my dads is naked and the same setup as mine which is faired)

So do your exhaust hanger bolts go right through the foot peg hanger or do they just bolt into a pre threaded section and stop? I will be sourcing a shorter bolt today as it would appear that would solve the issue, and the manufacturer are sending out shorter bolts anyway whilst they find out what went wrong

Any help appreciated :)!

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
Re: Right hand pillion footrest/exhaust mount
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2013, 02:40:09 pm »
Mmmm mines a bit difficult to check as it's tucked away at rear of garage, nut from what I can see the original exhaust is hung on one bolt approx 6cm long. It goes through the footrest hanger and I can see it coming out the otherside, but looks like it is going through a pre threaded black bolt which is attached to the footrest.  Its a 2010 model with standard exhaust at present.
I hope that helps, if not someone may be able to give you more info or send a pic. mines in too akward a position to photo and a knackered back prevents me from moving to at the moment.
Hope you get it sorted ok.
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Nitro159

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Kawasaki ER-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2013, 03:23:10 pm »
It sounds a little like that's the actual exhaust mount bolt, big washer should be visible if so

If I'm wrong then I do apologise but it's the two bolts that mount the exhaust hanger to the footrest hanger. It's a block of aluminium with 3 holes running through it, one for the exhaust and 2 for the connection to the footrest, I've been told by the manufacturer of the exhaust that removing the 'block' of aluminium hanger should leave 2 'straight through' bolt holes for their exhaust to bolt onto and leave one hole empty. Effectively removing the block entirely.

I will see if I can take some photos of the bits removed to single them out of the equation and thanks by the way

Nitro159

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Kawasaki ER-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2013, 04:56:20 pm »
Right ignore all previous the manufacturer have admitted a small fault at their end sending the wrong mounting bolt and then mixing two different bikes up, so don't fret please but thanks sure2ride for checking it out for me and hopefully aside from a twin headlight mod that'll be all the help ill need :)

Until then ride safe!

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2013, 06:48:05 pm »
No worries.
Keep on the forum, 'tis a useful place with a few nice peeps. :)

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2013, 06:55:27 pm »
Only just noticed this thread, not used to so many new topics in the 800 section  :\

When I fitted my MIVV aftermarket can I thought they had sent the wrong kit, but the original can bolted to a seperate hanger off the pilion pegs. The new can bolts directly to the pillion peg hanger and the seperate exhaust hanger can be stored away safetly with the can.

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2013, 04:05:04 pm »
Only just noticed this thread, not used to so many new topics in the 800 section  :\

When I fitted my MIVV aftermarket can I thought they had sent the wrong kit, but the original can bolted to a seperate hanger off the pilion pegs. The new can bolts directly to the pillion peg hanger and the seperate exhaust hanger can be stored away safetly with the can.

Just been struggling to fit my MIVV GP exhaust. Thankfully your post might just save me from pulling what is left of my hair out! :)