Date: 17-05-24  Time: 23:08 pm

Author Topic: Ais removal  (Read 5603 times)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Ais removal
« on: 12 October 2011, 06:15:02 pm »
I've just bought an ais removal kit from justy1 and was wondering if its possible to remove the ais system without completely removing the radiator (Don't need to tap threads) Would i be able to unbolt the radiator and push out theway, while leaving the hoses attached. The reason i ask this is because the bike is very high miles '108 000' and i have already replaced one of the hoses due to fatigue and i don't want to remove them unless its necessary.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
Re: Ais removal
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2011, 07:20:19 pm »
Why don't you try it and let us know, for the benefit of others. I've already done mine, by tapping the holes out so a bit late for me.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2011, 11:26:56 pm »
i think i remember some one saying that one of the benifits of the cap kit (this was a while ago so was the holeshot kit) was not having to remove the rad. i think it was described as fiddly but possable.
to be honest i would have thought you would be as likely to stress the pipes by pulling it forward as you would by removing it.

not a huge help because i couldnt find the old post when i searched the old forum, and when i did mine it was in combo with a fluid and plugs change so i had the rad off and tapped them.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2011, 11:37:59 pm »
I agree with what you are saying regarding stressing the pipes. It was more a question to find out if anyone had done it without draining the coolant and removing the hoses, as i know for a fact if i start removing them, they will crack/split :'( Cheers for your help, Nick.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2011, 01:18:53 pm »
If your hoses are that bad wouldn't it be better to change them in the garage than at the roadside next summer??? ;)

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2011, 08:53:16 am »
I guess it might be possible without removing the radiator but I bet you end up inventing some new swear words if you attempt it. Why make life difficult for the potential cost of a hose or two, and as dickturpin says it sounds like they may be due for replacement anyway.

And as we are approaching winter when did you last do a coolant change - sounds like an opportunity to combine a few jobs  . . .
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

justy1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2011, 07:21:32 pm »
i personally havent fitted a kit (even though i made them) as i did abit of research into the kit i was under the impression you had to take the radiator off/hang it to one side???

fz1bika was the ginipig for my first attempt at the caps & he managed to fit them with the radiator still on. but due to the modifications to the latest caps i think your gunna struggle & may have to take the radiator off/hang it to one side.

sorry for any problems this has caused but as have said, i was under the impression the radiator had to come off  :\

justy1000

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2011, 09:36:17 am »
In all honesty taking the radiator off is a very simple job, OK you do have to replace the coolant but that's the only 'downside'. While it's off you can access and clean parts of the bike that don't normally get cleaned, and if needed give the radiator and surrounds a lick of paint.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2011, 07:30:40 pm »
Cheers for the info. I unbolted the radiator and there is no way of getting it to move enough, so that you can get at the clamps to remove the ais system. I was only asking because i recently replaced the oil cooler hose and coolant. The only way to remove the ais is draining the coolant , undoing the hoses and either removing or pushing the rad out the way.  :\

Minty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TTR-250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2011, 03:11:43 pm »
 :) Hi, I am thinking of removing AIS, what's the benefits apart from engine bay space, does it affect performance? will there be any issues with MOT? I am a newbie so excuse me if I seem a bit clueless.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2011, 05:56:26 pm »
Hi Minty and welcome. :)

Removing the AIS does nothing to affect performance and won't cause you problems at MOT time.  Most of us do it to improve access to the plugs and to tidy up the top of the motor.

More here.  Ignore the emissions disclaimer as it's a US site.  You will find loads more useful stuff on the same site.

Mike

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2011, 08:38:31 pm »
Hi Nicko

The only thing you need to remove is the petrol tank and the HT coils. Put a towel or rag over the cam cover to stop the AIS assy scratching it. As the AUIS assy is never going to go back on and fit fore the bin this is how I did it.

1. remove petrol tank and HT coils and placed some old tshirts over the cam cover.
2. using side cutters I cut the rubber tubes that connect the AIS to the AIS pipes.
3. undue/remove allen bolts that hold AIS pipes in situe, then the 10mm bolts that mount the AIS unit to the frame
4. with either a long reach flat blade screw driver or an 8mm socket and extension, loosen the jubilee screws on the end of the AIS pipes.
5. gently and patiently to remove AIS pipes, taking car not sratch the frame or the cam cover. (I had to rotate the pipes in a few directions before they came out.) The AIS come in pairs, left and right sides as you look down at the bike.
6. Then the final job is to the gently and patiently to remove AIS unit, this took  me 15-20 mins to get the right rotation and angle to get the unit out without scratching anything.

Job done, I have to do/show a local foccer to how to do it so if you like I can take pics.?!

Fazer 1000

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2011, 10:15:35 pm »
I have fitted Justys kit to my Bike. I Did take my Rad off to make the job easy The job tuck 45 min start to finish, And a big  :thumbup to Justy, the kit fit's spot on just the job.  ;) :D

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2011, 10:31:21 pm »
Fazer 1000, Justy is seeking feedback on his kit on the other side....can you post your thoughts there as well?
Pleased it went well....my mission one winter weekend.

D

Fazer 1000

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2011, 10:48:47 pm »
Fazer 1000, Justy is seeking feedback on his kit on the other side....can you post your thoughts there as well?
Pleased it went well....my mission one winter weekend.

D

This is done  ;)

Minty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TTR-250
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 November 2011, 11:17:19 pm »
Cheers Mike.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 November 2011, 05:02:02 pm »
Hi Nicko

The only thing you need to remove is the petrol tank and the HT coils. Put a towel or rag over the cam cover to stop the AIS assy scratching it. As the AUIS assy is never going to go back on and fit fore the bin this is how I did it.

1. remove petrol tank and HT coils and placed some old tshirts over the cam cover.
2. using side cutters I cut the rubber tubes that connect the AIS to the AIS pipes.
3. undue/remove allen bolts that hold AIS pipes in situe, then the 10mm bolts that mount the AIS unit to the frame
4. with either a long reach flat blade screw driver or an 8mm socket and extension, loosen the jubilee screws on the end of the AIS pipes.
5. gently and patiently to remove AIS pipes, taking car not sratch the frame or the cam cover. (I had to rotate the pipes in a few directions before they came out.) The AIS come in pairs, left and right sides as you look down at the bike.
6. Then the final job is to the gently and patiently to remove AIS unit, this took  me 15-20 mins to get the right rotation and angle to get the unit out without scratching anything.

Job done, I have to do/show a local foccer to how to do it so if you like I can take pics.?!

Cheers for the info for doing it your way, however i'm probably going to leave it until spring when my other bikes are back on the road. I'm using it most days for work and its not a necessity at the moment. Thanks again for going to the trouble of typing out all the excellent info. I will keep a note, so that its easier for when i do get round to it! :)

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 November 2011, 06:48:46 pm »
Hi Nicko

very helpful post  :)
Head Focced