Date: 23-05-24  Time: 12:08 pm

Author Topic: Lowering  (Read 2152 times)

arch33angel

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Lowering
« on: 07 October 2012, 10:21:12 am »
After 4 FZS600s I would like to go for the litre but as I'm only 5'7" seat height is gonna be a problem. Can anyone give any advice on the way to go re. lowering and does the handling suffer much? I'm not a knee-down rider but like a blast now and again. Thanks guys.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Lowering
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2012, 10:39:45 am »
you could get a cut down seat,longer wishbones and lowering the forks will all make the bike lower

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2012, 02:27:22 pm »
@arch33angel..

Im the same height, 5'7" and a 28" inside leg and have a 05 FZS1000 with standard ride height and standard seat and,dont have a problem at all.. ok my feet arnt flat on the floor when Im on the bike just the balls of my feet but it seems fine to me....

Try it first if your able..you may be worrying about nothing
Budgie

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2012, 03:04:59 pm »
Got to agree with budgie there. I'm a short arse too, have dropped my forks through the yokes by 15mm which seems to have helped but like solorider says, longer dogbones can also lower it by 25-40mm I believe. ;)

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2012, 03:07:46 pm »
There is sufficient padding in the Fazer's seat for it to be re-shaped in order to reduce the height a little.  If that is not sufficient you can also change the length of the dog-bones to reduce the ride height.  The latter will, of course, reduce your ground clearance so if you are a 'sprited rider' you may end up scraping your pegs on a regular basis.   

arch33angel

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2012, 04:04:36 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'll try one out for size and see how it goes. Cheers.

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2012, 08:55:10 pm »
I too are 5'6 or 7" going downhill, and the bike is perfect for me
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

jabbascot

• DAS Born Again
  • newby
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2012, 10:16:35 pm »
dropped mine 25mm with wishbones and fork dropped 10mm through yolks and handles like a dream

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2012, 07:37:21 am »
Hi
( sounds like an intro to AA).."I am a short inseam fazer rider and I dont have any problems either !"   :o

now on my second thou, have owned them for over 8 yrs, 77k miles of riding all types of road and track.I helped the situation by dropping forks thru yokes by 12mm, and had the seat cut down by about an inch, and had it refoamed by Diggerseats.Its comfy enuff for several hours. I use an airhawk for longer journeys, ( I stick it on seat while I am on the bike ) TBH after riding adventure bikes for a few months now, the fazer seems a " low rider"  :lol

other things I do is to always leave bike on sidestand while getting on, and holding on front brake lever too.At traffic lights I dont have too many issues, but you can otch across the seat moto cross style to get left leg flat on ground to steady the bike.
I actually do have a set of dogbones to lower the bike, but the groundclearance is poor as stock, so have resisted fitting them.
Whilst not advocating slackening off preload as such, but do check yer rear sag figure as u could have too much rear preload set .
If you really struggle after all this, fit the dogbones, its not a difficult job, but will affect ground clearance .
cheers

yamahasan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2012, 11:18:29 am »
Im exactly the same height and dont have any issues; you shouldnt worry about that