Date: 01-05-24  Time: 17:01 pm

Author Topic: Is this the right call from the Appeal Court?  (Read 4557 times)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Is this the right call from the Appeal Court?
« on: 17 May 2012, 08:41:39 pm »
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/A-motorcyclist-who-lost-a-leg-in-a-crash-with-a-lorry-has-been-denied-the-right-to-compensation-11052012.htm

Sure, there's the argument that you should be able to stop in the distance you can see, but I kinda think that should apply to stuff moving in the same direction as you, or stuff that is stationary as you come round the bend - if somethings travelling the opposite direction, shouldn't you reasonably be able to expect that it will maintain its own legal road position? If the truck cant get round the bend alll on its side of the road, thats his responsiblity??

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the right call from the Appeal Court?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2012, 08:52:04 pm »
It doesn't sound right, but it may be a sharp bend with signage warning of oncoming vehicles on the road side of the road, for instance. Unlikely to get the full story from a newspaper report.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2012, 08:55:25 pm »
sure, there's lots missing - we don't even know if left or right hand bend...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2012, 09:10:12 pm »
Whilst I'm sure most people's sympathies will be with the rider, judging from the reports, some of which describe this as a "head on collision" and the lorry being over the centre line it sounds like the rider was on a left-hand bend and probably panic braked and went straight on when he saw the lorry coming.

(Of course it may have been a right-hander because I've also seen too many riders in the "Decapitation Zone" ie taking a right-hand bend as if they're on a race-track trying to clip the apex, meaning their heads are over the white line and in the line of on-coming vehicles...)

In either case, given that the BMF guy says "It has also been accepted by all parties that the lorry was too wide for its side of the road and when cornering at the time of the collision was over the white centre line" it seems daft that he also says "how it can possibly be right that a driver licensed to drive the largest and most dangerous vehicles on the road is not expected to stay on his own side of the road"?

If the width of the lorry means it has to straddle the white line, there's nothing that the driver can do about it unless he wants to run *off* the road, he simply has no option, so whilst it's a terrible shame that a biker has lost a leg, I have to say that it does sound as if the mistake was his.

It doesn't matter whether you're in the right or not, you aren't going to win an argument with an artic and it won't make it hurt any less, so just try not to get into the situation in the first place.

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2012, 09:43:03 pm »
If the width of the lorry means it has to straddle the white line, there's nothing that the driver can do about it unless he wants to run *off* the road, he simply has no option
He does have an option... he stops. What if an identical sized lorry had been coming the opposite way? Would that lorry be in the wrong for being close to the lines? Would the offending lorry have barrelled ahead regardless then?
Most roads in Britain, even country roads can easily be negotiated whilst staying entirely on the correct side of the road. It justs needs a little something called skill.
If the corner ahead is is tight enough to warrant crossing the lines, your approach speed should be such that you can stop on a dime if required.
I drive a 35 foot, 24 ton rigid lorry and am able to get round what would appear to be "too tight" corners without crossing the lines 99% of the time.
On the rare occasions I do cross over, I give complete priority to ANYTHING coming towards me for the simple reason that I am on their side of the road.
As far as I'm concerned, that motorcyclist could have been as close to the white line as he wanted. I wouldn't ride like that but it's his lane, his choice.
The lorry driver should have read the severity of the bend better.
I noticed it was a foreign driver, so reasonable to assume left hand drive. He was more than likely more concerned with any trees, buildings, branches, signs, etc. whacking his side of the cab, so gave himself a bit of breathing space at the expense of any any poor sod who was coming the other way.
The lorry driver used up all his own space... and more, leaving the poor motorcyclist who'd done nothing wrong, nowhere to go.
A shocking decision by the court.
The fact that you can, doesn't always mean you should.

I NEVER watch Emergency Bikers for the emergencies...

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2012, 10:33:18 pm »
*Maybe* the lorry driver did stop in time, but the biker didn't?

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2012, 10:59:05 pm »
*Maybe* the lorry driver did stop in time, but the biker didn't?

I definitely read this article from the same source as suggesting the lorry was moving.
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Ely/I-lost-my-leg-in-a-crash-now-I-could-lose-my-home-16052012.htm

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2012, 11:08:38 pm »
Mebbe. Doesn't *say* that though.

I think he did himself no favours admitting part liability.

"the lorry driver was partly over the middle white line before the collision."
Not at the time of, prior to. All words, but unless you witnessed it you'll never know what happened.

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2012, 11:38:50 pm »
I still reckon the lorry was moving.
If the lorry had been stationary, his insurers would have used that defence instead of citing the position of the biker.
You're right though, the biker did himself no favours by conceding that his road positioning wasn't ideal. A six-figure schoolboy error!

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2012, 09:30:44 am »
Have to agree that he made a big mistake taking a blind bend close to the middle, and another in admitting he was partly at fault for doing so.

Perhaps it's time for an MCN campaign to raise the profile and maybe get him some help? We're all bikers, no matter how daft we are - we've all had close escapes after all.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2012, 10:01:01 am »
In left-hand side driving country:

In a left turn, stick to the middle of the road (right side of your lane) so you can see further in the corner, but always be ready to turn away to your left when you come across idiot crossing to your lane from opposite direction. Never ride so fast you can't make that meneuver.

In a right turn, stick to the left, so you can also see further into the corner and be more away from lane crossing idiots.

Not sure which corner this accident was, but I often see bikers sticking to the middle of the lane and even leaning their upper body over to the opposite lane. Makes no sense to me. If this was the case (i.e: right turn and he was near the white line), that was in a way motorcyclist's fault.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2012, 01:31:54 pm »
If the width of the lorry means it has to straddle the white line, there's nothing that the driver can do about it unless he wants to run *off* the road, he simply has no option
He does have an option... he stops. What if an identical sized lorry had been coming the opposite way? Would that lorry be in the wrong for being close to the lines? Would the offending lorry have barrelled ahead regardless then?

The thing is, we simply don't have enough information, eg we don't even know if it was a left or a right-hander.

The article linked to below says "They pointed out that Mr Whiteford had accepted he was riding too close to the right of the lane, when the  correct line for a motorcycle taking a corner was closer to the middle", however *who* says that's correct?

We don't know whether there was a clear line of sight across the bend or if there were hedges or anything else which could have obscured the view.

Without all this information it's really impossible to say who should have done what.

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2012, 06:47:39 pm »
The appeal court got it wrong and the rider/his counsel should never have accepted that he was in the weong for being in the right hand side of his lane. The guy was positioned in his lane and the lorry was over the white line....end of story.

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2012, 07:01:17 pm »

The appeal court got it wrong and the rider/his counsel should never have accepted that he was in the weong for being in the right hand side of his lane. The guy was positioned in his lane and the lorry was over the white line....end of story.

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2012, 07:01:46 pm »
 :agree

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2012, 09:32:32 pm »
Ok, it's taken me some searching, but here's a more detailed report of the Appeals Court Ruling rather than just newspaper summaries.

In the case of ROBERT WHITEFORD v KUBAS UAB 09/05/2012 the Court of Appeal decided that the court at first instance had made a mistake in imposing too high a standard of care on a lorry driver in finding him primarily liable for a road traffic accident in which a motorcyclist collided with the lorry. The accident had occurred on a narrow country lane, and the lorry driver could not properly be criticised for taking a course which kept him away from the edge of the road but slightly over the centre white line on a bend, particularly where the motorcyclist had admitted some fault in driving too close to the centre line himself.

The Claimant in the case had been riding a motorcycle along a narrow country road. As he approached a bend, a lorry appeared from the opposite direction.  The Claimant’s leg struck the front offside corner of the lorry and he sustained serious injury, for which he claimed damages. The matter came before the court at first instance for a trial on liability.  The Claimant’s evidence was that when he first saw the lorry, about three seconds before impact, its cab appeared to be over the centre white line whilst its front wheel was on the line.  The Claimant accepted that he was also at fault in that he could have driven further over to his left as he went around the bend, and conceded that if he had done so, he would have passed the lorry.

The parties’ experts agreed that neither had been driving at speed, and that their view of each other had been hampered by the bend in the road, a change in elevation and a mature tree. The experts agreed that the road was only slightly wider than the lorry, and that the lorry’s front wheels were on or just over into the Claimant’s  lane at the time of impact.  The court at first instance found that the lorry driver should have appreciated that he was in a large vehicle on a narrow road and kept to the left. He accepted the Claimant’s statement that the lorry was encroaching over the centre line at impact. The court found that that was causative of the accident, so that the lorry driver was primarily liable for the accident, although the Claimant was 50 per cent contributorily negligent.

The defendant contended that, on the facts as found, the court at first instance had been wrong to find that the lorry had been driven negligently.  It submitted that, given the relative sizes of the lorry and the carriageway, it was a counsel of perfection to hold that the lorry driver should have driven even closer to the edge of the road than he had, which amounted to a distance of only a few inches.  The Defendant argued that any attempt to drive any closer to the nearside would give rise to risks of its own. It referred to the Claimant’s admission that he could have driven more to the centre of the lane, and contended that if he had done so, the collision would have been avoided.

The Court of Appeal decided that in considering liability for road traffic accidents, the court had to bear in mind the need to avoid imposing a counsel of perfection: the standard was one of reasonable care (Ahanonu v South East London and Kent Bus Co Ltd 2008 followed). This case did not concern any dispute of fact, but an assessment of whether negligence was established on the primary facts as found. The Court of Appeal could substitute its own judgment in such circumstances, although it would approach the invitation to depart from the judge’s findings with caution.

It was striking that the road in question was a relatively narrow country road and the lorry’s lane was barely wide enough for it to fit into. The finding that, by straying onto and just beyond the centre white line, the lorry driver was not acting in the way a reasonable and prudent driver would have was not accepted. On the contrary, it had been reasonable for him to have given himself a reasonable amount of room. The situation he was faced with was not unusual on a country road, and for a lorry driver to have driven on or close to the edge of the road would have created risks of its own. He could not properly be criticised for taking a course keeping him slightly out from the edge. There should have been no problem for a motorcycle taking the proper line to have managed the bend without colliding with the lorry. The facts were not such as to establish a breach of duty on his part: that would impose an unacceptably high standard. The court at first instance had erred in it’s finding as to the Claimant’s liability, and the Claimant’s claim had to be dismissed.

Also, from the lorry driver's Barrister's site:
[...] there was contact between the HGV’s fuel tank and the Claimant motorcyclist’s right leg, causing an amputation.

So, going by this, it sounds like it was a left hand bend (had it been a right-hander any collision would have been entirely different) and whilst it says "The parties’ experts agreed that neither had been driving at speed, and that their view of each other had been hampered by the bend in the road, a change in elevation and a mature tree" it doesn't say *what* speed either was travelling at.  "At speed" could simply mean "not over the limit" but if it was a narrow road and a fairly sharp bend, you wouldn't need to be doing the limit to over-cook it.

Now positioning to the right for a left-hander is entirely reasonable provided (as the rule has it) "always be able to stop in the distance you can see clear on *your* side of the road, and although the biker said he had "about three seconds" I wouldn't take that as more than a wild guess at the time involved.

The report also says "It submitted that, given the relative sizes of the lorry and the carriageway, it was a counsel of perfection to hold that the lorry driver should have driven even closer to the edge of the road than he had, which amounted to a distance of only a few inches".

So, even though I'd like to sympathise with the biker's case, looking at the facts above it suggests to me that he'd either over-cooked the bend or panicked and anchored up (or both) maybe even with a bit of Target Fixation and some or all of these meant he ran wide and hit the lorry, rather than the driver being negligent.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2012, 09:47:18 pm »
Given that text from Grahamm, it does seem as though there is some blame to the biker - to my mind, if he only had 3 seconds (accepting Grahamms assertion that that's a wild guess), then he was either travelling at warp speed (which seems not to be the case), or didn't make a move that should have been achievable?

Although thinking about it - I dont know that area at all, but my impression is that its pretty flat (dare I say featureless?) - how many lanes down there have bends you cant see a truck over the vegetation (assuming your observation is all it could be)?

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2012, 01:33:00 am »
I'm sorry! What ? A 'Too high a standard of care?'
Is this going to become a precedent for some one causing an accident and, basically, getting away with it?
' Ah, yes , well if he hadnt been riding a motorcycle, on his own side of the road,road positioning not withstanding, when a great  big fuck off truck which didnt fit down that road had been coming the other way, or with a shit driver at the wheel, it wouldnt have happened! Serves him right really. Git.'
There is no such thing as a ' too high a standard of care' when it comes to using the highways and byways of this world.
If you collide with someone on the opposite carrigeway because you are on the wrong side of the road in any way shape or form, its your fault!!
Jesus H Christ!
How black and white is that one?
Its quite scary really :eek :eek
Think I'll just walk, slowly, everywhere from now on, no where near a road, just in case.
Cant stand this bizzare appologist mentality that seems to have cropped up recently which seems to be  determined to make the victim guilty.

Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2012, 12:04:24 pm »
Is this going to become a precedent for some one causing an accident and, basically, getting away with it?

Read that report again and tell me how exactly the lorry driver "caused" the accident.

As it says ""It submitted that, given the relative sizes of the lorry and the carriageway, it was a counsel of perfection to hold that the lorry driver should have driven even closer to the edge of the road than he had, which amounted to a distance of only a few inches"."

If that lorry *had* been "a few inches further over to the right, would it actually have made a difference or would the biker have just hit it a bit further down? Well, we can't ever know for sure, but the fact is that the biker had almost the *whole width* of his side of the carriageway to use which should have given him plenty of space to take the bend and certainly have left him with an escape route.

There is no such thing as a ' too high a standard of care' when it comes to using the highways and byways of this world. If you collide with someone on the opposite carrigeway because you are on the wrong side of the road in any way shape or form, its your fault!!

And what happens if you over-cook a bend, panic when you see something coming in the opposite direct and try to slam on the anchors, causing you to run wide, get target fixated and end up crashing into the on-coming vehicle?

Remember that the charge was "negligence", damages for which, from what I can see, are currently defined in English Law by the case Caparo v. Dickman [1990] which "introduced a 'threefold test' for a duty of care. Harm must be (1) reasonably foreseeable (2) there must be a relationship of proximity between the plaintiff and defendant and (3) it must be 'fair, just and reasonable' to impose liability"

Now I can see an argument for the first two, but the problem comes when you get to the third part "it must be 'fair, just and reasonable' and the biker *DID* admit that he "could have driven more to the centre of the lane" which, whether you like it or not, is effectively an admission of liability (or, indeed, negligence) on his part.

What if, whilst taking the bend, he'd hit a patch of gravel or some road-kill whcih was just on his side of the road, lost it and gone straight on through the hedge because he wasn't able to manoeuvre to avoid the obstruction? Who would you hold liable there?

Hodge

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2012, 12:44:53 pm »
The rider was in no way at fault. If the lorry was too wide for the road it was on it either should have taken a different route or had an escort.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2012, 02:03:11 pm »
The rider was in no way at fault. If the lorry was too wide for the road it was on it either should have taken a different route or had an escort.
Absolutely. Lets close every rural lane in the country to buses, delivery lorries, every council roadmending truck and farmer's vehicle if they can't be trusted to sacrifice a wing mirror now and again so that I can enjoy the whole of "my' side of the road.  :rolleyes

On the other hand, perhaps some of us have survived undamaged so long because we don't regard the white line down the middle of the road as anything more than a guide... and don't feel the need to force oncoming vehicles into the verge just so we can have 6ft of clear tarmac to our left. Picking an argument with anything bigger than a rabbit is a recipe for disaster. We're just too vulnerable.

peterjca

« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2012, 04:23:17 pm »
I don't like the precedent this sets.

So what should the outcome have been with a car going round the bend instead of a biker, or another lorry, or indeed any other vehicle that isn't able to position itself better in the lane because the vehicle is too wide to do so, but just wide enough to fit in the narrow lane without straddling the lines?

Who's fault is that?

This b*llox about imposing too high a standard of driving is sickening.

Hodge

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2012, 08:30:53 pm »
Absolutely. Lets close every rural lane in the country to buses, delivery lorries, every council roadmending truck and farmer's vehicle if they can't be trusted to sacrifice a wing mirror now and again so that I can enjoy the whole of "my' side of the road.  :rolleyes

On the other hand, perhaps some of us have survived undamaged so long because we don't regard the white line down the middle of the road as anything more than a guide... and don't feel the need to force oncoming vehicles into the verge just so we can have 6ft of clear tarmac to our left. Picking an argument with anything bigger than a rabbit is a recipe for disaster. We're just too vulnerable.

What's more important here, the fact a rider lost his leg in an avoidable accident and is now disabled for the rest of his life, through no fault of his own, or pandering to a foriegn lorry driver/company who did not follow our highway lwas?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2012, 12:36:13 am »
What's more important here, the fact a rider lost his leg in an avoidable accident and is now disabled for the rest of his life, through no fault of his own, or pandering to a foriegn lorry driver/company who did not follow our highway lwas?
Eh?  "through no fault of his own..." ???
He admits he could have positioned himself out of harm's way and didn't! Whether this was because he was actually travelling faster than appropriate, whether he was riding in a belligerent manner to claim the entire half of the road or simply panicked and ran wide doesn't change the fact that he could have avoided the accident.
I think reading this sorry tale as an example of prejudice against bikers (or indeed, as reason to be prejudiced against foreigners) is plain wrong.
We should be taking it as a lesson in the value of defensive riding.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2012, 01:47:05 am »
 :agree