Date: 07-05-24  Time: 21:18 pm

Author Topic: No indicators after wiring loom replacement…  (Read 961 times)

mgiv

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
No indicators after wiring loom replacement…
« on: 17 July 2023, 08:06:44 pm »
Hi folks,

Recently replaced wiring loom on my ‘99 FZS600 after having to remove a faulty immobiliser from the old one (was a right mess).

Everything seems to be working as it should apart from the indicators.

I’ve also ended up with an extra connector on the loom with apparently nowhere to plug it in (see image)

I’ve connected a test light between + on the battery and the brown/red wire on the connector which produces a flashing light when I operate the indicator switch but nothing on the indicator lamps themselves. I’ve tested all the bulbs and they’re all good.

I stupidly didn’t take any notes or photos of the old loom in place (lesson learned…) and would quite like to get this sorted without having to take it to the garage with my tail between my legs 🙈.

The loom I bought (2nd hand on eBay) said it was for my bike and had been tested.

Any ideas?

mgiv

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: No indicators after wiring loom replacement…
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2023, 08:08:01 pm »
Photo of wires into connector

ben

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2023, 10:29:54 am »
There is a wiring diagram in the back of the service manual (https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=8). You could compare the colour wires in your spare connector to the diagram and see if any of them match.

As for the indicators, you could try a continuity test with a multimeter on the loom, to make sure the wiring is good? Might be worth a quick check of your fuses too.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2023, 11:01:12 am »
That connector is a classic type of Yamaha relay connector and is only on the Foxeye model. Only relays I know of on the Boxeye are the Flasher relay which is a 2 pin relay and the Pump Relay which in enclosed in the Starter Cut out Box  which has 10 or 11 wires in the plug.
When you plugged in the connector to the Alternator did it plug straight in or did you have to change the connector?How many wires in the connector to the fuel tank? The Foxeye has 2 and the Boxeye has 3

mgiv

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2023, 11:23:03 am »
That connector is a classic type of Yamaha relay connector and is only on the Foxeye model. Only relays I know of on the Boxeye are the Flasher relay which is a 2 pin relay and the Pump Relay which in enclosed in the Starter Cut out Box  which has 10 or 11 wires in the plug.
When you plugged in the connector to the Alternator did it plug straight in or did you have to change the connector?How many wires in the connector to the fuel tank? The Foxeye has 2 and the Boxeye has 3

Thanks for reply.

No connectors changed whatsoever.

3 wires in the connector to fuel tank
(3 wires from loom and 3 wires from the wired-in tank connector)

mgiv

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2023, 06:55:22 pm »
Have I bought a foxeye loom for a box eye do you think? Any way to make it work?

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2023, 10:03:59 pm »
What part number is on the loom? There are subtle differences between the 1998-99 and the 2000-2001

The part number on the label should read 5DM-82590-00

mgiv

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2023, 07:03:27 am »
What part number is on the loom? There are subtle differences between the 1998-99 and the 2000-2001

The part number on the label should read 5DM-82590-00

The loom unfortunately has no part number on it. It's a second hand one from eBay and obviously had the sticker removed at somepoint...  :'(

What does this type of (5 wire) relay do on the bike? The new (suspected foxeye) loom also has a 2 wire relay connector that I can connect the flasher relay from the old loom.

Would sticking a relay of the end of that connector solve the issue?

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2023, 09:48:12 am »
Flasher unit is the same across all models with is 2 wire socket.  The 5way plug on the foxeye is a change over relay for the headlights, switch from dim to head and the relays are located in the front fairing,  but  from your pictures, yours appears to be under the seat.

mgiv

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2023, 07:21:27 pm »
Would sticking a relay on that connector work?

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2023, 11:19:58 pm »
  Do you have a 5 pin relay?
I think you may have a 2000-2001 loom, as far as I can remember there were no hazzard lights on the 98-99 fazers, it just occurred to me that the 5pin relay under the seat may be used to switch on the hazzard lights in the park position. The foxeys uses the ignition for the same purpose.

« Last Edit: 20 July 2023, 11:39:52 pm by unfazed »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 July 2023, 11:43:39 pm »
I had a look at  the wiring diagrams and if you loop one of the Brown wires to the Brown/Red wire that should get the indicators working.

mgiv

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2023, 09:27:25 am »
Unfazed - thank you so much. Got them working now. If you’re ever in Glasgow I owe you a beer!

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2023, 11:10:49 pm »
You are more than welcome. Good to see you are closer to getting back on the road