Date: 30-04-24  Time: 11:29 am

Author Topic: Start delay  (Read 3584 times)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Start delay
« Reply #25 on: 14 June 2017, 08:43:28 am »
If someone really wants to nick your bike, they will, especially the pro's.
Alarms cause nothing but electrical issues.
Old school meaty chains are the best deterrent.

:agree

As with car alarms no one takes any notice, there's been many staged the thefts over the years, one I remember in MCN was right outside a main police station in London.  Large new sports bike parked out side, alarm fitted, white van 4 blokes pick up the bike load it into the van, alarm going, shut doors drove off, in less than 30 odd seconds.  No one battered an eyelid :eek

Yes alarms can be helpful but only to alert you, others will do nothing.  In fact I'm sure there was one of these staged thefts where someone did ask what they were doing, the actors had a alarm fob pretending to turn it off, the answer they gave was it's always going off!

If scum bag wants your bike they will get it unless you lock it to something or somehow that will make their life really hard, they'll go elsewhere.  I quality chain/lock will cost about £200 cheaper then most top range alarms, it's a no brainier, quality chain/lock and cheap alarm.   
Later

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #26 on: 14 June 2017, 09:00:35 am »
As for locks and locking, It's definitely a safer option. Garage being the safest, of course.
An alarm as an additional complication to thieves doesn't harm. I wrote two articles on bicycle locks and locking techniques, and think the basics go for motorcycles as well - just go with even heavier chains - 12+mm thick:

http://www.bike.bikegremlin.com/2015/09/23/bicycle-locks/

http://www.bike.bikegremlin.com/2015/09/30/locking-a-bicycle/

(WARNING: both links are in Tarzan English)
« Last Edit: 14 June 2017, 09:04:09 am by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 June 2017, 11:42:25 am »
An alarm doesn't prevent kids from doing anything?

My experience differs. After a kid got burnt on my exhaust, I started activating alarm when parked in front of the house. So I can hear it, come out, check with parents it's OK and make sure they're safe when sitting, or take them for a ride in the street.

Out of curiosity, how does an alarm stop a kid burning themselves?

Years ago my girlfriend at the time had this really inquisitive kid who would always come up and point at the exhaust saying "What's that?"
Obviously my reply was "That's called an exhaust, and is VERY HOT so NEVER touch it."

You can see where this is going......she touched the can after I had just gone indoors.
Never did it again though.......but can't see how an alarm would've helped anyway?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #28 on: 14 June 2017, 01:19:51 pm »

Out of curiosity, how does an alarm stop a kid burning themselves?

When they start fiddling with it, it makes sounds, so they back off. Before they climb onto it. Local kids usually start with bars, levers.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.