Date: 01-05-24  Time: 15:07 pm

Author Topic: air filter  (Read 1594 times)

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
air filter
« on: 03 March 2017, 05:43:19 pm »
Hi folks
Getting bike ready for spring, on checking air filter found it v wet with petrol??? :\ its a K&N, Been reading older topics and found that i shouldnt use as carbs are standard so will resort back to stock filter. Bike has been laid up over winter (started a couple of times)
2005 thou
Any help much appreciated

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: air filter
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2017, 06:56:04 pm »
Are you sure it's fuel and not oil? I know some people use a small amount of engine oil on their air filters when they clean them?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2017, 07:36:06 pm »
I had a K&N on my old Blade which required oiling after cleaning. Strangely enough I 've just ordered the cleaning/reoiling kit for my Pipercross air filter today.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2017, 08:26:25 pm »
Thanks for reply.  definetely petrol. got a feelin it aint gonna be an easy fix

mick chiz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2017, 04:57:49 am »
 with saying petrol on your filter,it would have to be a cany leak to get your k&n wet,petrol evaporates so sounds like you've decent leak to me,and it shouldnt be too hard to find i hope

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2017, 07:05:01 am »
I don't think you've anything unusual to be concerned about.  The carbs do blow some fuel vapour back into the air filter, so smelling petrol from the filter isn't unusual.  Also, the crankcase breather vents into the airbox, another source of oily vapours from the motor.

Get a K&N cleaning kit, follow the instructions and refit the filter when it's been re-oiled.  Don't overdo the oiling.  Monitor it after a few thousand miles. 

As for not using a K&N with stock jetting, it isn't the big deal some internet threads make it out to be, certainly not with the post-03 Fazers which aren't as prone to lean surge as the first bikes.  At larger throttle openings the Fazer is over-jetted on the mains so the K&N flowing more air is not a bad thing.

RMWL :)

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2017, 12:15:16 pm »
Did seem more than vapours. Will get k&n cleaning kit and keep a close eye on it.
Thanks a lot for your advice Mick and Falcon.