Date: 19-05-24  Time: 20:56 pm

Author Topic: Thermowax Unit - Idle Problems - Reference Photos  (Read 1736 times)

Bruce

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Thermowax Unit - Idle Problems - Reference Photos
« on: 28 January 2017, 05:23:37 pm »
Hi Guys

Firstly many thanks for all the advice on the forum, was reading recently about the thermowax unit and quickly realised that this was the reason for my idle problles from a cold start.  Stripped the thermowax unit today and now working perfectly.  The rod was solid in the out position needed a few hits from a pin hammer and 3-1 oil to free it up.  A couple of points (problems) that that I had.

(1)  the righthand screw for the top of the Thermowax unit holds a very small metal bracket that the spring attaches to (the other end of the spring attaches to the throttle body) when I unscrewed the screw the bracket and spring pinged into the bowels of the engine - thank god for telescopic magnets!  (see photo 12 for bracket and spring) :o

(2) the two screws holding the thermowax unit to the bike were solid.  I tapped them free with a cold chisel and pin hammer and replaced the screws. 

I took a few photos for reference which I thought may help out anyone else that does this job.

Bruce

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Thermowax Unit - Idle Problems - Reference Photos
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2017, 05:24:48 pm »
A few more photos

Bruce

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2017, 05:26:47 pm »
The last photos - the final one show the small bracket and the sping with attached to the righthand side screw

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2017, 06:19:25 pm »
Never mind the thermowax thingy its the Triple Chocolate Ice Cream in picture 7 that holds my interest
« Last Edit: 28 January 2017, 06:20:11 pm by tommyardin »

Ash69

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2017, 06:46:40 pm »
Yeah that's the monkey Bruce, glad you found the spring tab , I ended up improvising with a couple of tiewraps until I can manufacture something more representative - or the original dislodges itself from the deep .... bodge seems to be working okay though :-)

Bruce

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2017, 08:26:42 pm »
Yes glad I found the spring.  Got some 'Ben & Jerry's tonight lol!

Bruce

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2017, 01:42:02 pm »
Ash69 - I managed to get my tab by poking a telescopic magnet down below where it came off and the magnet eventually latched onto it.  May be worth a go if you have not already tried?