Date: 19-05-24  Time: 19:30 pm

Author Topic: £46..??!!!  (Read 2284 times)

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • Half deaf middle aged drummer!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
£46..??!!!
« on: 27 January 2017, 06:18:48 pm »

No responses from my Wanted post so it looks like a new fairing infill panel for me...

£46!...for a bit of plastic that only cracks 'cos it's made so thin in the first place!

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: £46..??!!!
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2017, 06:51:35 pm »
Yep, I've reinforced mine with Gaffer tape and used rubber washers, but still they split!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2017, 11:07:45 pm »
Yer Yamaha really are taking the fucking piss with this bit of plastic, the only fix atm that will last is carbon fibre.

And on the CF front I am looking for a non-glossy CF solution as I am sick and fucking tired or replacing the infill panels...

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2017, 11:11:38 pm »
Yer Yamaha really are taking the fucking piss with this bit of plastic, the only fix atm that will last is carbon fibre.

And on the CF front I am looking for a non-glossy CF solution as I am sick and fucking tired or replacing the infill panels...
GB moto do the glossy finish but if you give them a call they might make them up for you without the gloss.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2017, 11:55:05 pm »
std mod bin about for ages fit a tap wesher underneath to take tension out
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2017, 08:02:38 am »

No responses from my Wanted post so it looks like a new fairing infill panel for me...

£46!...for a bit of plastic that only cracks 'cos it's made so thin in the first place!

I feel your pain. I've just bought a new clutch cable (OEM). I didn't want to buy an aftermarket one and then go to fit it and find it was not the right length. Pretty much the same price I believe from Fowlers. Along with £15 for a fuel filter and £10 for an oil filter.
I know I could have got a non OEM oil filter cheaper elsewhere, but couldn't be bothered paying two different lots of P&P. 

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2017, 04:32:04 pm »
I see no reason why the infill panels could not be laminated with class cloth and resin on the underside to reinforce them before fitting if the are so prone to splitting.
A couple of lamination's should do it.

That sort of amount can be picked up from motor factors as a car body repair kit i would have thought.

That the good thing about living only 18 miles or so from the coast is there are loads of boat builders/repairers who are only happy enough to give you glass cloth off cuts and a 1/2 pint of resin with a small amount of catalyst.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2017, 05:23:14 pm »
I see no reason why the infill panels could not be laminated with class cloth and resin on the underside to reinforce them before fitting if the are so prone to splitting.
A couple of lamination's should do it.

That sort of amount can be picked up from motor factors as a car body repair kit i would have thought.

That the good thing about living only 18 miles or so from the coast is there are loads of boat builders/repairers who are only happy enough to give you glass cloth off cuts and a 1/2 pint of resin with a small amount of catalyst.

This would do the trick. I've used it on many a bikes fairing in the past. Does set absolutely rock hard though so if the part needs to flex then may not be the best idea, but it's it's just an Infill panel then I wouldn't imagine it would need any flex.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165625&productId=194319&storeId=10001

Bruce

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2017, 01:39:45 pm »
I plastic welded mine, all you need is a soldering iron, tie-wraps and wire.  Link attached

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2017, 02:18:28 pm »
Did you hear Dell boy at the end of the video? he said fuck it the seat now rocks on that thick old bit of plastic. :lol

Bruce

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2017, 02:37:27 pm »
I have used this method of plastic welding for a few things, works pretty well especially if you melt in the metal staples :)

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2017, 11:25:21 am »

Nah. The plastic bit only cost a tenner, but rental on the warehouse shelf space for over a decade needs to be paid for.  ;)