Date: 28-04-24  Time: 19:10 pm

Author Topic: Does anyone align their rear wheel/chain this way ??  (Read 2545 times)

Sandscorcher

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Does anyone align their rear wheel/chain this way ??
« on: 14 February 2016, 02:51:50 pm »
Hi Foccers.

Its possible I maybe I'm over thinking this but when I use the alignment marks on the rear arm to align the wheel it just doesn't seem to be sitting true.
My way of thinking let me to wonder if measuring the gap between the tyre and the swing arm would work !

Is this possible or am I barking up the wrong tree !!!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Does anyone align their rear wheel/chain this way ??
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2016, 03:42:37 pm »
The most accurate way is to use a piece of string round the rear tyre. It's the simplest way to properly ensure the rear tyre is aligned with the front one.

http://youtu.be/RBxK-OQ--fg

As mentioned in the video you can also do it by measuring the distance from the swing arm pivot to the centre of the wheel spindle.

Once you have done it this way and know it's all square you can check how accurate the alignment marks are

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone align their rear wheel/chain this way ??
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2016, 03:58:11 pm »
When I retired I helped a British Superstock rider for a season and learnt very early on not go rely on the factory markings for the rear axle.We used a Ronometer,which is basically two lengths of square section alloy tubing that were clamped either side of the rear wheel.The other ends of the tubing would reach either side of the front wheel.Adjustments to the rear were made until the gaps either side of the front wheel and tubing were equal.You had the opportunity then to make your own reference marks on the swing arm. Don't know how much they cost, but would be easy enough to make.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2016, 06:34:41 pm by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2016, 04:08:00 pm »
Ive used a couple of axle stands and a long length of steel box tube...checked the 6 and thou this way, marking fine on both bikes but well worth checking   :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

Sandscorcher

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2016, 06:04:28 pm »

As usual your advice is greatly welcomed.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to have another go at it next weekend.

Thanks Kindly.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2016, 06:30:43 pm »
When I checked mine with the edge of a plank of wood I found markings on the swinging arm were out. I made a new washer for one side with a different diameter to compensate. Since I very rarely have to adjust it I still check  with a my strieght edge though.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2016, 08:36:58 am »
Centre of the swing arm pivot to the centre of the rear spindle on both sides is the most accurate way.  All this planks/box section etc is a lot of fluff setting up, measuring between to two sides of the front wheel (that's got to be straight) and is only as accurate as the lumps of whatever are straight, plus its really difficult alone!!!

The other way is to measure from the swing arm pivot to the end of the swingarm section, that's where the endcap with the bolt meets the swing arm.  If these two measurements are the same you measure from the end of the section back to the centre of the rear spindle.

Both are easily done on your own, quick and accurate  :) [size=78%]     [/size]

Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2016, 11:01:58 am »
My markings are fortunately pretty good, but if you spin the rear wheel by hand whilst the bike is still on the centre stand after adjusting, then the chain should just purr quietly, if the wheel ain't straight then you will hear the chain fighting against the sprocket because the wheel/sprocket is offset.
If the chain's too tight it will make unwanted noises as well.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2016, 11:04:29 am »
Centre of the swing arm pivot to the centre of the rear spindle on both sides is the most accurate way.  All this planks/box section etc is a lot of fluff setting up, measuring between to two sides of the front wheel (that's got to be straight) and is only as accurate as the lumps of whatever are straight, plus its really difficult alone!!!

The other way is to measure from the swing arm pivot to the end of the swingarm section, that's where the endcap with the bolt meets the swing arm.  If these two measurements are the same you measure from the end of the section back to the centre of the rear spindle.

Both are easily done on your own, quick and accurate  :) [size=78%]     [/size]

I'd never thought of doing t that way, nice one.

Last time I used a laser spirit level aligned with the outer part of the chain. If it illuminated the chain most of the way to the front sprocket then the wheel should be straight and properly aligned from side to side as well as from  front to back.
Malc

Old enough to know better.