Date: 01-05-24  Time: 12:56 pm

Author Topic: usb heated gloves  (Read 3990 times)

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
  • returned to bikes in 2015 after a 10 year break
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
usb heated gloves
« on: 08 January 2016, 06:59:28 pm »
So I have just been thinking about this, as a rider who rides all year around. This morning was particularly cold. These gloves worn inside your usual winter bike gloves, powered by a usb power pack. Links to what I am talking about below.

Any thoughts on this idea?

gloves -   http://goo.gl/eVPNzI

power supply - http://goo.gl/lDTV5F

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: usb heated gloves
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2016, 07:20:56 pm »
Cheap enough for a punt.
Intentionally left blank

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2016, 08:05:44 pm »
I would check the current draw on the gloves. Just thinking that a Gerbing battery is 12v 1.4ah while the battery you have linked to is 1.2ah at 5v (and my experience of cheaper ebay batteries is that they are optimistic with the claimed capacity.

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2016, 08:23:23 pm »
It has 2 output slots a 1ah and a 2.1ah slot. The gloves are 5v and the battery is 5v.

I actually already have one of these, which i could use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5600mAh-Portable-External-USB-Power-Bank-Battery-Pack-Charger-for-Mobile-Phone/301558293398?rt=nc&_soffid=5006233303&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2016, 09:02:32 pm »
I'd guess the gloves are probably only about 5 watts each so your battery ought to last a couple of hours, but do you reckon you've room inside your biking gloves for those thick knitted things?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2016, 10:47:00 pm »
Oh crap for a second there I thought that I would have to stay tethered to my computer on a long usb lead
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2016, 11:14:40 pm »
Heated grips I have now are just marvellous,  yet to use the full setting as they're so damn hot!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2016, 11:20:24 pm »
Heated grips I have now are just marvellous,  yet to use the full setting as they're so damn hot!
Im scared of them -- think they will drain my battery, and its not my hands that get cold per- say, its the ends of my fingers from the tips to the knuckle, but unless I grip like something that grips very tightly I don't see how they would help me   

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2016, 12:25:17 am »
I bought some heated gloves last year, they cost about £14, with the batteries (I got 12 AA x 2300ah) each glove takes 3, so I have two sets, and a charger it came to about £40.
Having more than one bike I thought it would be cheaper than heated grips, plus I didnt want to alter the bikes.
Do they work, well yes and no, hands are still cold but not frozen and a set of batteries might last 2-4 hours I was told but more like 1-2 hours.
I don't see the point of fingerless gloves as it's the finger ends that get the coldest, would you need 2 powerpacks, how long would they last and how long to recharge?
Would I do the same again, I dont think I would, although the last time I wore them it was just 30 minutes ride put them in my helmet left them turned on and half an hour when I put the helmet back on it was nice and warm as were the gloves.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2016, 12:48:23 am »
I bought some heated gloves last year, they cost about £14, with the batteries (I got 12 AA x 2300ah) each glove takes 3, so I have two sets, and a charger it came to about £40.
Having more than one bike I thought it would be cheaper than heated grips, plus I didnt want to alter the bikes.
Do they work, well yes and no, hands are still cold but not frozen and a set of batteries might last 2-4 hours I was told but more like 1-2 hours.
I don't see the point of fingerless gloves as it's the finger ends that get the coldest, would you need 2 powerpacks, how long would they last and how long to recharge?
Would I do the same again, I dont think I would, although the last time I wore them it was just 30 minutes ride put them in my helmet left them turned on and half an hour when I put the helmet back on it was nice and warm as were the gloves.
Links please - as I already have the batteries and charger

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2016, 08:44:45 am »
"I don't see the point of fingerless gloves as it's the finger ends that get the coldest"

Most sensible thing i have read on the post lol
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2016, 01:00:12 pm »

Im scared of them -- think they will drain my battery, and its not my hands that get cold per- say, its the ends of my fingers from the tips to the knuckle, but unless I grip like something that grips very tightly I don't see how they would help me   

Turn the engine on......problem solved.

Mine are wired to the ignition, key off, heated grips off.

When i say they get hot, i mean bloody hot, bearing in mind i have padded gloves on and it's very cold outside.

Fuck knows who wrote the review, bought his third set but only gave 3/5, why keep buying them then?
They're the best ones i've ever used, and at a great price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DR-BIKE-DRMHG-UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE/dp/B006VX97OK

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2016, 01:02:41 pm »
I stuck the control on my right fairing infill panel so the wire face downwards to stop any water problems, plus it's out the way but easy to get to.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2016, 01:49:04 pm »
http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/keis-heated-x800-outer-gloves-2/

Cheap? No,
Awesome? Yes!

Plus it appears they have the jacket at half price I assume at limited sizes
http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/keis-x25-sleeved-heated-jacket-2013-2/
Some say...

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2016, 05:28:22 pm »
I'd guess the gloves are probably only about 5 watts each so your battery ought to last a couple of hours, but do you reckon you've room inside your biking gloves for those thick knitted things?

Yeah I already use that type of glove inside my leather gloves during winter.
In regard to batteries, the gloves connect to one battery which I can just put up my sleeve of jacket pocket. I come back with a quick review of using the gloves once i get them.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2016, 06:49:36 pm »
turn the engine on......problem solved.
When i say they get hot, i mean bloody hot, bearing in mind i have padded gloves on and it's very cold outside.

I think that grips are a little OTT for my riding because even though I go out in 3 or 4 degrees most of my rides will be no more than 2 hours.
What I need are aa battery operated inner gloves, but not those in the link as has been said they wont fit in my gloves and its the fingers that I need warming and not the hands. Thats also why I err away from grips because I made a note the other day of checking how I grip the grips and I don't actually grip all the way around as from my knuckle to the fingertips does not touch the gripsl. What would work is rings of wire that go around the finger tip ends and down the back of your hand to connect up and that would fit under any glove.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2016, 08:41:39 am »
Add lever buddies (foam tubes) to brake and clutch lever as well, the metal levers will help the cold penetrate your gloves to chill your fingers, the foam stops this!
Some say...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2016, 08:57:20 am »
Add lever buddies (foam tubes) to brake and clutch lever as well, the metal levers will help the cold penetrate your gloves to chill your fingers, the foam stops this!

I put heat shrink on my levers, it just takes the cold edge off the bare metal.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2016, 09:03:04 am »
turn the engine on......problem solved.

I think that grips are a little OTT for my riding because even though I go out in 3 or 4 degrees most of my rides will be no more than 2 hours.
What I need are aa battery operated inner gloves, but not those in the link as has been said they wont fit in my gloves and its the fingers that I need warming and not the hands. Thats also why I err away from grips because I made a note the other day of checking how I grip the grips and I don't actually grip all the way around as from my knuckle to the fingertips does not touch the gripsl. What would work is rings of wire that go around the finger tip ends and down the back of your hand to connect up and that would fit under any glove.

You keep doing 2 hour rides and you'll end up spending more in batteries than a set of heated grips would cost.
And your fingers are joined to your hands, the heat travels to them too via warming of the blood in your palms.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2016, 12:38:16 pm »

You keep doing 2 hour rides and you'll end up spending more in batteries than a set of heated grips would cost.
And your fingers are joined to your hands, the heat travels to them too via warming of the blood in your palms.
Well that is part of my problem as my fingers don't do that very well im afraid.
Batteries are not a problem as I have loads of rechargeable