Date: 02-05-24  Time: 10:30 am

Author Topic: test ride and review of BMW S1000XR and R1200RS compared to FZS 600 Foxeye :-)  (Read 2335 times)

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Hello,

just had a test ride today on a BMW S1000XR and R1200RS. Both very nice bikes. The XR is almost brilliant.

Here is my short review and rating. Bear in mind the rating is based on my personal prefernces and riding style. Yours may be different  :)

Here is the test route: https://goo.gl/maps/wjhba

Unfortunately I do not had too much time for that so it was about 30 minutes ride fore each bike. Total of one hour fun.

I have started the test ride with the XR. Standard seat suits me perfectly.

I am 183cm (6 foot) high and weight 100kg (16 stone) - I know I should eat less burgers  :lol

Anyhow on standard seat I can get both my foot firmly on the ground. Although the position feels very high compared to the Fazer. You seat on the bike and the seat keeps your bum supported firmly from behind. Think sofa. To me compared to the Fazer was like I am seating in a double decker bus. Not sure yet that is a good or a bad thing.

So the whole sofa thing moves very well. It is unbelievably agile and flickable. Once you got used to the position you just want to swerve left and right. The steering is very light and the bike leans almost telepathically.

The engine has distinct agcricultural sound. Feels like you are on the top of very light and capable tractor.

The gears are very smooth. Because the engine has good pull you can ride it basically in any gear. I have to say I have not used the 6th at all. Honestly 3rd is all you ever need to stay legal. XR moves with the speed of your thoughts without been intimidating you are always in control. I have used TC on, ABS on, Road settings for the engine and Dynamic settings for the suspension on both bikes. Both of them were full extra models with everything you will ever need. I have not used most of it. Only few times traction control light was obviously fixing my lack of skills  :lol

ABS has not been engaged no kittens were killed during the test ride. I have to say it was very fun. I can do that every day for sure.

XR pulls off in 5th from about traffic lights at 15mph without any clucth slip needed at all. When you pick up the revs the sounds gets little better from distinct agcricultural to slightly howling  agcricultural. That is fine with me. The sound is not anywhere high in my bike features priorities list. Although I prefer Fazer screaming  banshee standard exauts high revs sound. Probably you can get Akrapovic or Remus and tune it to your taste.

Based on the handling and the high position with very good visibility we may have the perfect commuter bike here for the XR. The XR also wins in the engine department. It has the most power and it is the most relaxed and predictable power delivery in all revs. You know exactly what happens at all times. The worst is the RS. Sure plenty of power. Too much torque when I do not need it.

Now the RS. It was big disappointment to me. Initially I was expecting this is the bike I will like most. Do not get me wrong it is great bike. But does not make much sense to my riding style.

First the position. Think about proper sport bike. Not funny. Does not make sense to me because if you have that position with this engine its not very comfty.

When I've checked the http://cycle-ergo.com/ on paper R1200RS looks more relaxed position and not sport at all.

RS1200RS has 17° forward lean angle knee angle 77° and hip angle 73°
FZS600 has 16° forward lean angle knee angle 74° and hip angle 73°

In practice somehow you feel you seat tucked in the RS. The position of the wrists was feeling way more sporty too.

It has enourmous by my standards low toque pull. In fact I may have pulled low wheelie after going out of a roundabout to the A404 dual cariageway. I was in 2nd gear and Landrover Sport was closing behind me too cloose for my liking on the roundabout. I have pullled the throttle probably too ambitously and surpise small wheelie/slapper/change of pants  :lol It got ok I have moved to 3rd and the cariageway was disapearing fast behind. The bike is fun. But not as predictable and forgiving like XR.

On the dual cariageway when doing some speed RS feels more planted with better aerodynamics.

In the twisties RS feels heavy to me. XR is way much better. Even the old Fazer steering is better. XR side stand - almost impossible to get when you are on the bike the footpeg is on place that covers the sidestand.

Somehow the bike feels heavier than XR too. Its obvious that the boxer engine makes its center of gravity low. On second thought I'm not sure this is very good. Compared to XR bike RS first hesitates to start steering than goes oversteering.

Funny enough I have collected the most admiration when riding via Marlow on the RS. Not sure why and not sure I like that. Probably the low rumbling sound of it. Basically the RS is a show off bike. More fashion statement than sense.

Final rating:

1. Handling steering - XR, Fazer, RS
2. Engine and power delivery - XR, Fazer, RS - note obviously the RS has more power than the Fazer I just do not like the engine for my riding.
3. Seat and position - Fazer, XR, RS.
4. Look - draw for all from the front look, side look - XR, RS, Fazer - no surprise here good old Fazer looks ugly sidewise  :'(
5. Sound - Fazer, RS, XR - note I am not a fan of low rumbling Harley style sound. For you it may be the RS.

Do not have videos. You know why. Ta Da.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2015, 11:45:22 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
mees got this one

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
mees got this one

RS is a great bike and very good looking too. Just too sporty for me.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
test ride and review of BMW S1000XR and R1200RS compared to FZS 600 Foxeye :-)
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2015, 08:16:34 am »
Did you try the quickshifters on either bike ! The XR shifter is the business up n down shifts with auto blipper, the RS shifter is not as good and takes some time to dial in.

The esa suspension on the XR is shite it only has 2 setting road and dynamic,  road is to harsh and kicks off every bump and dynamic is even stiffer. The Rs has several esa settings, so your able to find a setting that suits plus it has a soft option.

Vibes ! You don't mention the vibes in the bars on the XR in someways it follows the gen1 trait with engine vibes.

The XR comes in a low version for guys n girls that are not 7ft, it's 50mm lower then stock and looks right as some low bikes look daft.

I brought the low XR

However it wasn't for me, vibes-harsh suspension-lots of cheap looking black plastics, it's fast really really fast and the engine loves to rev but it's only when it's 7k upwards you understand this bike and it wants to rev like that all the time. I realised I wouldn't be able to live easily with this bike for touring etc @ 70 mph it's @ 6500rpm, like you pointed out it pulls in any gear from standstill, it's geared all wrong in my opinion, so what did I do ! i sold it privately after 80 miles.

I brought this instead.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2015, 08:18:39 am by cable tie »

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Did you try the quickshifters on either bike ! The XR shifter is the business up n down shifts with auto blipper, the RS shifter is not as good and takes some time to dial in.

The esa suspension on the XR is shite it only has 2 setting road and dynamic,  road is to harsh and kicks off every bump and dynamic is even stiffer. The Rs has several esa settings, so your able to find a setting that suits plus it has a soft option.

Vibes ! You don't mention the vibes in the bars on the XR in someways it follows the gen1 trait with engine vibes.

However it wasn't for me, vibes-harsh suspension-lots of cheap looking black plastics, it's fast really really fast and the engine loves to rev but it's only when it's 7k upwards you understand this bike and it wants to rev like that all the time. I realised I wouldn't be able to live easily with this bike for touring etc @ 70 mph it's @ 6500rpm, like you pointed out it pulls in any gear from standstill, it's geared all wrong in my opinion, so what did I do ! i sold it privately after 80 miles.

I brought this instead.

Your Ducati looks stunning  :thumbup

How do you compare the steering with the XR? What about the seat and the position again compared to the XR?

The sales guy has asked about the quickshifters after the ride so I did not tried them. Actually I kind of liked the stiff suspension and the lack of diving and stability of it. I can live with that and the bumps. The same with the vibes and the fact that XR is happy to stay in high revs. In fact I was more happy to stay in 5th on the dual gariageway over 7k than to shift up in 6th. The fact is I am not a touring guy so for commuting and ocasional blast XR suits me perfect.

What I am not sure I like is too high seating position. 

Next on my test list is GSX-S1000FA and MT-09 Tracer.

I may try Multistrada and Caponord as well, and Tiger 800 with MV Agusta Veloce 800 maybe?
« Last Edit: 13 September 2015, 05:49:10 pm by Val »

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Update: Just test rode S1000R today too. We have a winner. It is the bike I like the most from all BMWs so far. The bike I rode was S1000R Sport with all extras except cruise control.

Position is way forward. You can get used to it.

The gears are better than XR. Because the engine has good pull you can ride it basically in any gear. I have to say I have not used the 6th too much again as in XR. Honestly 3rd is all you ever need to stay legal. Like XR the S1000R moves with the speed of your thoughts without been intimidating and you are always in control. I have used TC on, ABS on, The last Dynamic Pro settings for the engine and Dynamic settings for the suspension.

S1000R is sharper than XR. And you can ride it faster easier. Surpisingly for me on the motorway without fairing it does better speeds than the Fazer with less wind. Or at least that is how I feel it. I mean there is wind, but because the bike has better engine somehow it is easier.

IMO S1000R feels sharper than S1000RR too. I know it shouldn't be, but it feels that way to me. If you order them it will be RS is like a boat compared to others, than Fazer is sharper, the XR is very sharp, the RR is better and finally the S1000R is like knife in a butter. You can change direction any time in the bend left or right and it just goes there. My abilities are way off what that bike can do . Just happy

The only think I do not like too much is the seat. It is nice seat for one or two hour rides. But it is very thin. getting back to the Fazer was like sitting in a sofa.

Final rating:

1. Handling steering - 1000R, XR, Fazer, RS
2. Engine and power delivery - 1000R, XR, Fazer, RS - note obviously the RS has more power than the Fazer I just do not like the engine for my riding.
3. Seat and position - Fazer, seat XR, 1000R, posution 1000R beats Xr for me, last one is still the RS.
4. Look - draw for all from the front look, side look - 1000R, XR, RS, Fazer - no surprise here good old Fazer looks ugly sidewise.
5. Sound - 1000R, Fazer, RS, XR - note I am not a fan of low rumbling Harley style sound. For you it may be the RS. 1000R has really nice sound in high revs.

The final conclusion I may get one S1000R, but will still keep the Fazer for short touring and winter hack/commute. If you want a bike for long touring you need the XR.

Still I have not find complete Fazer replacement - I mean bike that can do kind of sporty rides, but also to be able to touring and to do bad weather/commute. I mean if I have to have only one bike I will keep the Fazer for now.

Or seat upgrade for the S1000R and a new screen may do the trick?

The main thing which I like towards BMWs is the IL4 engine. I know most people like BMWs for the famous boxer twin. For some reason it is not my cup of tea. Too much torque and less fun. Of course it depends  on your definition of fun. Mine is high revving IL4 :)

I have high hopes on the new MT10 in some faired version like Tracer 1000? We'll wait and see.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2016, 06:46:56 pm by Val »