Date: 30-04-24  Time: 13:25 pm

Author Topic: Guy Martin  (Read 6792 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Guy Martin
« on: 09 September 2015, 11:03:52 pm »
Just watched an interview Guy did on BBC N Ireland this evening. He was asked if he would be back racing next year. He never said yes , but he did not say no either. That accident has certainly taken it's toll on him. I just have a funny feeling he will perhaps take a year off.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Guy Martin
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2015, 10:32:35 am »
Did you see his facebook post about it?  I got the feeling it had knocked him for 6 and there seemed an air of retirement about what he was saying.  BUT, saying that's he's a racer and I#m sure he'll never say never.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2015, 12:25:39 pm »
Personally I'd like to see him retire before we loose him. He's been a great ambassador for motorcycling and has become a household name. Would be sad to see him seriously injured or worse
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2015, 09:09:25 pm »
I wish him all the best. He's a real star from the old school. No airs or graces and he has true character, something that's sadly lacking in the modern world. As has been said he is a truly excellent ambassador for the motorcycling world.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2015, 02:22:48 pm »
Personally I agree , a great competitor but I wish he would call it a day. My worry is that never having won a TT it will eat away at him. I honestly believe he did win a TT a couple of years ago,the year Hutchy won 5. Guy had a speeding 30 second penalty for being 1kmp over in the pit lane, he lost the race to Hutchy by 10 seconds. I am not trying to take anything away from Hutchy, but Guy was over penalised harshly. That was the same year he had that big off at Ballygary(Ballyscary)

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2015, 12:57:52 pm »
If he hadn't been penalised he still wouldn't have won. Without the 30second penalty Guy would have had 2nd place and have lost out on 1st place by about 0.3 of a second...

I read a few reviews and watched interviews and stuff. Guy said himself before his last TT if he didn't win he was gonna pack in racing at the TT or at least have a year or 2 away from it.
He's still keen to take part at other events such as the Cookstown 100 as it's one of his favourite events of the year. He's said since his accident he will still race. He will just pick and choose what he does from now on so he can concentrate on work and other side projects he's not had time to do because of the racing.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2015, 09:34:11 am »
was listening to the wireless on the ride in to work this morning, he was a guest on Chris Evans breakfast show but I got to work before he came on.  Might check iPlayer to see what he was saying.
Intentionally left blank

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2015, 06:01:52 am »
I think people riding the TT are crazy - normal man would not only call it a day, but wouldn't start in the first place! Just thinking about Joey Dunlop...  :\
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2015, 08:51:07 am »
Joey Dunlop won 26 TT's. Not 100% sure but Joey never had an off at the TT. Joey sadly was killed on a 125 cc bike in Estonia on the 2nd July 2000 less than a month after he won 3 events at the 2000 TT

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2015, 10:30:25 pm »

Joey Dunlop won 26 TT's. Not 100% sure but Joey never had an off at the TT. Joey sadly was killed on a 125 cc bike in Estonia on the 2nd July 2000 less than a month after he won 3 events at the 2000 TT

Always wondered how the wheel broke....never heard of that on a bike before
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2015, 10:52:57 pm »

Always wondered how the wheel broke....never heard of that on a bike before

Joeys brother Robert had a wheel colapse on the isle of man, very lucky to have survived the crash. Shortly after wheel manufactures found streetracing on lightweight rims over stressed them causing the failure

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2015, 12:12:47 am »
I think people riding the TT are crazy - normal man would not only call it a day, but wouldn't start in the first place! Just thinking about Joey Dunlop...  :\

Speak to anyone who has competed in the I.O.M. TT,that's anyone and they will tell you they wouldn't swap it for anything,you can't begin to imagine the feeling when you just qualify,let alone race there.I raced on short curcuits for 11 yrs but never on the island but my daughter is a sidecar passenger and she and her driver won the newcomers' award at the 2012 TT and if you'd told her she'd won the lottery she couldn't have been happier! There's a magic about the place you can't explain unless you've experienced it but "crazy"? no way.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2015, 12:17:36 am »
Talking about Guy Martin,I sold his old man a Rob North triple yonks ago and he was and still is a smashing bloke,Guy's definately a chip off the old block. :)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2015, 01:23:53 am »

I had a ride out with Steve Plaiter and TBH I think he's safer on the TT course, blokes got a screw loose, overtook on a blind bend with a car coming in the opposite direction, knee on the deck, absolutely bonkers, stopped trying to keep up at that point :eek

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #14 on: 28 November 2015, 07:49:15 am »

Speak to anyone who has competed in the I.O.M. TT,that's anyone and they will tell you they wouldn't swap it for anything,you can't begin to imagine the feeling when you just qualify,let alone race there.I raced on short curcuits for 11 yrs but never on the island but my daughter is a sidecar passenger and she and her driver won the newcomers' award at the 2012 TT and if you'd told her she'd won the lottery she couldn't have been happier! There's a magic about the place you can't explain unless you've experienced it but "crazy"? no way.

Listen to yourself - "daughter riding in a sidecar"!?!?!     :rollin
(probably got more balls than me - riding yourself is OK, but on board another lunatic driving it...   :eek   )
My mom went from "you crazy riding motorcycles?!", over "you crazy racing motorcycles!??" to "did you check the brakes and tyres?" when she realized there's no cure.  :)

I'm a huge fan of the TT, but I believe you need to be crazy to race there. Those speeds without any safety margin...  I'm not sure people addicted to that adrenaline and taking those risks are 100% sane.  Having said this, I believe most people riding motorcycles are a bit crazy - making it 20 times more likely (compared to a car) to become killed or disabled, burden to your family...  This goes for me too. No offence meant - just thinking out loud. I really think it's far from wise and normal. Wouldn't change it though.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2015, 07:51:15 am by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

polecat 1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - 350lc
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 November 2015, 11:22:58 am »
If you're a fan of Guys he's on Channel 4, tomorrow night ( Sunday 29th Nov.), 7.30-9.00, Last Flight Of The Vulcan Bomber.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 November 2015, 12:13:31 pm »

Listen to yourself - "daughter riding in a sidecar"!?!?!     :rollin
(probably got more balls than me - riding yourself is OK, but on board another lunatic driving it...   :eek   )
My mom went from "you crazy riding motorcycles?!", over "you crazy racing motorcycles!??" to "did you check the brakes and tyres?" when she realized there's no cure.  :)

I'm a huge fan of the TT, but I believe you need to be crazy to race there. Those speeds without any safety margin...  I'm not sure people addicted to that adrenaline and taking those risks are 100% sane.  Having said this, I believe most people riding motorcycles are a bit crazy - making it 20 times more likely (compared to a car) to become killed or disabled, burden to your family...  This goes for me too. No offence meant - just thinking out loud. I really think it's far from wise and normal. Wouldn't change it though.
   Point taken ;)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2015, 12:13:58 pm »
Being from N Ireland and being interested in bikes since me dad used to pack me brother and me into the side car and me mam on the back of his Ariel Square 4. Nearly every weekend during the summer months there was a road race somewhere in Ireland. I loved it but my brother hated it.
For all that I have never been to a TT. I think it is a rip off, but it is on my bucket list. Up until two years ago I still travelled up from Spain on the bike, for either the Cookstown 100, NW200 or the Ulster Grand Prix. The Ulster is by far and above the best road race in the world.
My brother became an accountant , right boring fart, he always was on at me to get a proper job and stop running away to sea, well I run away for 43 years and still ride motor bikes, he is a lay preacher in the Episcopalian church in Scotland, he's a fecking riot.
Don't know why I mentioned this lol
« Last Edit: 28 November 2015, 12:15:46 pm by lew600fazer »

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 November 2015, 12:16:34 pm »
Just seen Scott Redding on the pace already,I think that Duke will really suit him. :thumbup

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 November 2015, 12:22:38 pm »
Being from N Ireland and being interested in bikes since me dad used to pack me brother and me into the side car and me mam on the back of his Ariel Square 4. Nearly every weekend during the summer months there was a road race somewhere in Ireland. I loved it but my brother hated it.
For all that I have never been to a TT. I think it is a rip off, but it is on my bucket list. Up until two years ago I still travelled up from Spain on the bike, for either the Cookstown 100, NW200 or the Ulster Grand Prix. The Ulster is by far and above the best road race in the world.
My brother became an accountant , right boring fart, he always was on at me to get a proper job and stop running away to sea, well I run away for 43 years and still ride motor bikes, he is a lay preacher in the Episcopalian church in Scotland, he's a fecking riot.
Don't know why I mentioned this lol
[/quote
We were at the NW200 and the ulster this year and there was no comparison the Ulster was brilliant. :woot

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2015, 09:09:39 pm »
Just seen Scott Redding on the pace already,I think that Duke will really suit him. :thumbup

Strange how a year in Motogp can turn everything upside down, 2014 you'd never willingly swap to the Ducati from Honda, this season even the works bikes struggled at the beginning of the season. Just hope Redding can improve his results or we'll be losing him.

* Crash.Net racing newsfeeds

MotoGP

World Superbikes

British Superbikes

RSS to JavaScript