Topshot89

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Metallic Grey '08 fz1 gen2
    • View Profile
Tyres
« on: 18 February 2015, 06:53:14 am »
I'm looking to change tyres on my gen 2, always used a sports tyre, this set are conti sport attack 2's but got alo t of touring and 2 up rid is planned this year so need a sport touring tyre with a decent lifespan. Any suggestions??

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2015, 09:33:12 am »
You can never have enough tyre threads ;)

You'll have lots of opinions and different tyres suit different riders so our preferences may not be yours.

I'd check the existing tons of threads on this (there are many), but personally I like Michelin Pilot Roads, have PR3s at moment.

Excellent in the wet, very good in the dry, suit my riding and not bad wear.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2015, 10:21:37 am »
I have contimotions fited to my gen2, suit my riding as  I don't ride that hard anymore and they grip well for a budget tyre.
When these need replacing I am going to try maxxis , keep hearing good things about them on here and a couple of other forums I frequent.

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2015, 02:10:48 pm »
Maxxis Diamonds All the way.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2015, 02:45:07 pm »
Bridgestone T30's will give you the touring and all weather life you want without sacrificing too much of the sport handling you are used to.

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2015, 02:52:58 pm »
The Angel GTs on my Tiger Sport seem to be holding up well and providing good levels of grip in both wet/dry.
Still a pupil at the school of life ....

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2015, 02:56:49 pm »
Well the most popular tyres on the ZZR1400 forum are Angel GT or PR3/4 ,s

I have Angels  :)

Its just a ride

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2015, 03:49:43 pm »
Have used both on a number of bikes, and currently run the Angels GTs on my ZX-10R and the Pilot Road 4s on my ZX-9R.

Basic summary - the Angels have a slightly more sporty profile, and are better in the dry. The Pilot Roads are better in the wet.
So I've got them on the bikes I respectively use for dry sunny blasts and commuting to work in all weathers!

fazed

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2015, 05:13:45 pm »
Currently Pirelli have angel ST on offer at 198 pounds - fitted  Got mine at Bike treads in Swinon for my other bike (SV1000 suzuki) and they feel fine.  I think that's a really good deal - think the offer is still on but I suspect not for much longer........
This is as young as you're ever going to be!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2015, 03:21:41 pm »
yep had ST on the last bike they are good too ,don't last as long as GT,s though
Its just a ride

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2015, 04:02:53 pm »
Remember us Foccers get a 5% discount from bikespeed uk and they have some good prices on all tyres....just quote FOCU5

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2015, 04:03:54 pm »
Remember us Foccers get a 5% discount from bikespeed uk and they have some good prices on all tyres....just quote FOCU5....brings the Angels down to £171

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2015, 10:43:28 pm »
I'm looking to change tyres on my gen 2, always used a sports tyre

My thinking is, that unless you are a complete and utter peg and knee scraping nutter, who also doesn't often go out in wet or cold conditions, and perhaps likes track days, well does anybody need a sports tyre on their road bike?

I'd guess any of the latest generation of sports touring rubber should do the job.  Lots to choose from.

I've used pilot road 2's, which were good, now I've got 3's which are even better.  I can ride hard on them, they are buffed right to the edge, I can still scrape the pegs if I go daft on my gen1 thou.  And in the wet they are really reassuring.  I get about 6000 miles form a rear.

Look forward to trying the PR4's when my 3's wear out.

You might find this review encouraging;

http://www.visordown.com/product-features/michelin-pilot-road-3-1800-mile-tyre-review/18694.html#ixzz2th6fzR2N

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2015, 10:54:57 pm »
My thinking is, that unless you are a complete and utter peg and knee scraping nutter, who also doesn't often go out in wet or cold conditions, and perhaps likes track days, well does anybody need a sports tyre on their road bike?

I'd guess any of the latest generation of sports touring rubber should do the job.  Lots to choose from.

Yep, sports touring tyres are that good these days, I don't think you need look elsewhere for bikes like the Fazer. I tend to ride just for fun these days, a mix of distance and twisty roads, and haven't found fault with PR2s. Not on 3s or 4s yet cos I'm a cheapskate  :lol Good in the wet on the odd occasion I need them to be too.

slap

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - XS750 & GS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2015, 07:48:26 pm »
To throw my penny into the equation, on my gen 2 I have used Dunlop roadsmarts which were superb then swapped to roadsmart 2 which were not so good on the feed back but lasted a lot longer (they're still in my garage part worn). The next replacement was back to the original roadsmarts (these took some sorcing as was out of production by now). Last year I used metzeler interacts Z8's which were good & wore well. I am a fairly quick rider (I think..!) I do at least 1 big euro tour each year of about 3000 miles plus weekends up & down the country & did a track day at Cadwell on the original roadsmarts.
This year I may try the new Bridgstone T30 or give the Metzeler's another go.. Will do some more reading up & decide before May as ferry booked for my euro tour in May.
..is that it...?