Date: 30-04-24  Time: 17:45 pm

Author Topic: Swingarm Bearings  (Read 1804 times)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
Swingarm Bearings
« on: 23 November 2014, 08:38:45 pm »
I was cleaning the bike today and I was leaning on the rear to get excess water out the belly pan, I noticed there seemed to be some play in the rear. I then leant over the bike and pulled the rear wheel towards the mudguard and there was a we notch of movement. I am assuming it would be from swingarm, certainly feels like that.

I see there is a how to article on changing the bearings, any idea on how long that would take? Also how difficult is it? I am a mechanical novice but my partners brother has said he'd help, he is a car mechanic so should be a good help.

Any known problems i could run in to would help.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Swingarm Bearings
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2014, 08:54:16 pm »
Hey mate how do, hows those calipers holding up....wee bit of authentic noggyfighter you got there lol :b

Mine failed its MOT on those "excessive play"........i went to great effort ordering some bearings and then in the end the bastards at the garage decided that i needed the bearings plus the inner sleeves and they ordered and fitted a complete set.

But as a consequence im pretty sure ive got some bearings still lying about my shed.

I think that you'll probably need those inner sleeves too though...id say it is a mechanics job but if your mate is helping who is a mechanic then im sure youll manage although if hes used to cars then i suppose its the whole trying to suspend the bike that is fiddly rather than the mechanicals themselves
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2014, 12:55:55 am »
How much did they charge to change the bearings Noggy?  I think it's a fairly simple job for anyone with a socket set and the interest to DIY
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2014, 06:44:40 am »
doable at home with basic tools  :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2014, 10:40:10 am »

If you're pulling the rear wheel vertically and feeling a bit of free play it's probably the suspension linkages that are responsible rather than the swingarm pivot. Even with new bearings there, because of the large amount of leverage there is always a small bit of movement. If there is a couple of millimetres free play they are due for a change.
The play of the swingarm pivot is best checked by pulling the arm left and right or by trying to twist it while holding the top and bottom of the wheel (though you'll then need to judge if any movement is due to wheel bearings too).

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2014, 04:44:21 pm »
Hey mate how do, hows those calipers holding up....wee bit of authentic noggyfighter you got there lol :b

Mine failed its MOT on those "excessive play"........i went to great effort ordering some bearings and then in the end the bastards at the garage decided that i needed the bearings plus the inner sleeves and they ordered and fitted a complete set.

But as a consequence im pretty sure ive got some bearings still lying about my shed.

I think that you'll probably need those inner sleeves too though...id say it is a mechanics job but if your mate is helping who is a mechanic then im sure youll manage although if hes used to cars then i suppose its the whole trying to suspend the bike that is fiddly rather than the mechanicals themselves

Hey Noggy,

I am leaving that as a spring time update, save them seeing a winter season straight away.

I was wondering about the suspension linkages, they were done before but must have been at least 2 years. So may need redone, I have ordered a R6 shock from Kebab so will check that out then. There is no movement from side to side, only up and down.

My girlfriends brother is a mechanic so will not be a total amateur effort. Looks like a day/weekend job though.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

robin78842

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FJR 1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2014, 04:58:14 pm »
On FJ1200 the play should be OK up to 5-6 mm.  There are about 4 sets of bearings and will all have a bit of play.  As long as it's not excessive it won't fail mot.  Yours sounds normal.