Date: 30-04-24  Time: 15:44 pm

Author Topic: FZS 600 then and now!  (Read 7542 times)

Chappers

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
FZS 600 then and now!
« on: 10 November 2014, 10:29:33 am »
Hey All

Just thought id write a quick update topic on my fzs600. Ive had the bike for just over a year now, done a fair few miles and made a few small improvements but im looking at what else i can do.

Bike when i picked it up (completely standard)

As it sits today

What ive done so far:
  • Iridium double bubble screen
  • Clear indicator lenses
  • Stainless radiator cover
  • Gold screen bolts
  • Carbon font reg plate
  • Bridgestone battlax BT021
  • 12mm front sprocket nut
What im planning to do:
  • K&N Air filter
  • K&N Oil filter
  • Iridium plugs
  • Dual headlight mod
  • Delkevic or Fuel exhaust (any thoughts on which is better?)
All in all a good first year's riding but does anyone have any other ideas as to what else i could do to improve my fazers look and or power?

thanks

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: FZS 600 then and now!
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2014, 12:20:19 pm »
I've had the Fuel exhaust on mine for about 9 years now. Still looks like new. Baffle in = Increase in power and slightly louder. Not tried it with baffle out. Would definitely recommend.

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2014, 12:36:50 pm »
I've had the Fuel exhaust on mine for about 9 years now. Still looks like new. Baffle in = Increase in power and slightly louder. Not tried it with baffle out. Would definitely recommend.

You've had an exhaust on with a baffle in for 9 YEARS and you haven't tried taking the baffle out? Get on it! I'm shocked.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2014, 01:10:45 pm »
Gonna rock the boat slightly here, 'cos I was always one of the main people to recommend the K&N oil filter on here, the one with the handy nut on the end.
But I did an oil change a couple of weeks ago and when I put the socket on that nut it immediately rounded off like it was made of marzipan!
Fortunately I had the trusty chain wrench to hand so got it off easily enough anyway as I'd only nipped it up.
Just a friendly word of caution that's all.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2014, 06:27:48 pm »
You've had an exhaust on with a baffle in for 9 YEARS and you haven't tried taking the baffle out? Get on it! I'm shocked.
:)
I've also got a Speed Triple with a straight through 'Not For Road Use' exhaust. So the Fazer is for quiet days

Flak

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Speed Triple 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2014, 08:08:12 pm »
Everything you've got in the second list I would have done first and apart from the sprocket nut wouldn't have bothered with the first lot. Each to their own though :)

(I didn't realise you could still buy 021s?)
FZS600, Speed Triple 1050, FZS1000, DT175MX etc.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2014, 08:51:00 pm »
i posted something similar to this thread a while back 'a year of Fazer fun',(sorry,dont know how to put a link up ) have a shufty at that as nearly all the things i have done are from suggestions on here,other than the obvious stuff that ive always done to my bikes,exhust,braided lines,new screen.
the K&N  air filter improved things,as did a carb balance,upgraded the brake fluid to DOT 5.1 while doing the braided lines,the fazer thou rear caliper thing is a marmite moment,the saddle is a must if you do regular distance rides imho,changing the coolant is always a good idea.
im just trying to do all i can before my spare money runs out as i fully intend on keeping my old (but new to me) Fazer for a few years,so the mechanical things are a must,the cosmetic stuff is always down to personel choice/taste

but that screen on your bike makes such a HUGE difference to the look on your bike  :thumbup

as for the exhaust,my Boewulf sounds lush,and ive never taken the baffle out in the year that ive had it,as it sounds fine as is,but maybe a quick blast next spring with it removed is a thing to think about  ;)

keep the pictures coming as you do things  :)

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2014, 10:56:05 pm »
I've also got a Speed Triple with a straight through 'Not For Road Use' exhaust. So the Fazer is for quiet days

I'd do it purely to see if it made a performance difference. The baffle restricts flow (and chops up the flow of gasses, I know), which is why it's quieter.

pilgo - what did you do to your seat? I did a mega road trip this summer and ended up with a numb arse (1200 miles in 2 days) and would like to get it comfier!

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2014, 05:42:47 pm »

I'd do it purely to see if it made a performance difference. The baffle restricts flow (and chops up the flow of gasses, I know), which is why it's quieter.

pilgo - what did you do to your seat? I did a mega road trip this summer and ended up with a numb arse (1200 miles in 2 days) and would like to get it comfier!

im not sure there's a seat yet invented that would keep you happy doing 1200 miles in only 2 days mate !!  :eek

but  Google 'digger seats',he's based in Newport in welsh wales,he re upholsters  your existing seat.
i did 550 miles over 3 days back in september,i got really uncomfertable by the end of each day,but after being initialy annoyed that the seat id had upgraded was'nt much cop,i realised that it was just the shorts i had under my textile trousers that were the problem  :rolleyes

i'll try to find his number for you

Chappers

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2015, 07:21:04 pm »
Evening all, update time!

I've had the Fazer wrapped up warm in the garage since the beginning of December, only just got around to ordering a few bits for it and stripping it down as far as i need to. Here's what i'm doing!

Coolant flush and replace, the old stuff must have been in it for years before i even bought the bike because it was as black as coal and tasted disgusting (that's the last time i try and cheat by siphoning the expansion bottle with the overflow pipe from the rad lol)

I've stripped the air box down ready for a replacement K&N which i shall order as soon as pay day rolls around, this coupled with a set of iridium plugs i'm hoping will make some difference?!

I also finally settled on a Blue Flame silencer which should be arriving Thursday, the OEM silencer took some persuading but i managed to get it off after much swearing and half a gallon of WD40!

The dual headlight mod is also on my to do list whilst I've got everything apart, having slight trouble with this one tho as my connector blocks are a different colour to that stated in the guide i'm following! Once I've managed it tho i'm gonna run OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs as these seem to be the ones to go for!

The clocks are also getting the upgrade treatment, I'm gonna try the blue LED thing! Not too sure at this stage if i'm gonna like it or go back to standard but for the sake of a couple quid for the LED's i thought i'd give it a go!

That's about it for now, ill update again as and when i get things delivered and fitted! apologies for the lack of and quality of the pics, it was blowing a gale and started pissing down half way through taking it apart......lush British weather as always lol.

Cheers

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2015, 08:22:36 pm »
If the old coolant was that ropey i would've used Radflush before replacing it, to give the whole system a thorough clean out.

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2015, 08:28:54 pm »
Will be nearly as nice as mine soon!  :D

Chappers

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2015, 08:40:28 pm »
I ran water through the whole system until it came out clear, I plan on changing the coolant once a year at service intervals from now on!

Nice colour choice ste ;)

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2015, 08:55:04 pm »
I know Chappers! Lovely paint scheme. Ladies love it  8)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2015, 09:04:48 pm »
I ran water through the whole system until it came out clear, I plan on changing the coolant once a year at service intervals from now on!

Nice colour choice ste ;)

It's not so much the colour of the water, it's the good chance you may have clogged up waterways.
Radflush is a bit like descaling a kettle, it just helps create a better flow of coolant.

Chappers

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2015, 11:00:08 pm »
Oh right, didnt know that!! ive ordered some rad flush now since reading this, thanks for the tip :)

Blue clocks mod is now done (noticed after taking this pic that the middle LED was out due to wrong polarity!)

End can arrived yesterday, bloody stunning bit of kit! The finish is outstanding, highly recommended to anyone looking at what exhaust to get!! Pics will be up as soon as its fitted!

Cheers

Bimbam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2015, 05:06:27 pm »
Hi. I am about to fit Bi-Xeon projektores. Looking forward to the improved light.
Dont try to be the best in town, just be the best, until the best come arround

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2015, 06:17:09 pm »
I'm with you on the Blue Flame, we have 3 of them. My Aprilia RSV has had one for almost 10 years and it still looks like new (and sounds great). Our Fazer 1000 has had one on for 8 years -again perfect, and our Fazer 600 has had one on for just over 2 years now (our son loves the sound, even with both baffles in).

The only thing I've done is drill out the centre of the bottom "baffle" (really just a blanking plug) on my RSV can.

Here's a pic of the 600, with the Blue Flame can.

Chappers

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 January 2015, 10:39:44 pm »
Hey BimBam, upload some pics when ur done, be good to see the end result!

Millietant im really impressed with the finish and overall quality of the can, cant wait to crank it so i can hear it, got a few more bits to do though b4 that!

heres a pic of it fitted, just got the top bracket to secure when i get a nut for the bolt cos for some weird reason the nut on the original can is welded in place?! Ive taken the blanking plug out too, seems a bit stupid having a twin outlet with one blocked off!

Hoping the finger prints come off when i wash it though!!

Cheers