Date: 27-04-24  Time: 06:54 am

Author Topic: which cheap levers?  (Read 4767 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
which cheap levers?
« on: 28 April 2014, 09:57:36 pm »
I see from the "fazer parade" that a lot of you guys have those Pazzo-style levers on your bikes. I really like em, but dont fancy paying pazzo prices when there are others on the bay for £20-30. Although, there is also a lot of tat out there, can anyone point me in the right direction of a reasonably cheap set which is not utter junk and wont snap the first time I pull it?

Thanking you :)

Also, a REALLY daft question about my clutch lever. is there anyway to adjust how close to the bars the clutch bites in. the free play is set corectly, but it bites when its almost all the way out - and its uncomfy for my hand (the extra bend in the pazzo style levers will move the whole lever closer to the bars im hoping).

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Re: which cheap levers?
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2014, 01:00:02 am »
The standard lever is a pain, as the bite is at the end of the travel. If you are going to buy chinese levers, i have fitted many over the years and they have been absolutely fine. I have a set on a bike that cost £10'000, so i have no issues with them. The only thing i would say regarding fazer levers is to get the long levers. The short ones makes clutch action a bit heavy in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-Brake-Clutch-Levers-Yamaha-YZF-R6-1999-2004-R1-2002-2003-R6S-FZ1-FAZER-BLK-/331128078816?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4d18c581e0
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2014, 07:41:31 am »
Cheers buddy, I was thinking full length anyway, I like at least the option of four fingers, and have broad hands so shortys don't really work for me.

Cheers for the link, I'll look into those. I suspected the bite should be where it is, so just need to hope the levers I order will have span adjusters to sort it more to my liking :)

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2014, 08:12:48 am »
love my pazzo shorties(brand slag) but i have used the chinese copy's and thought they where fine also.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2014, 01:29:17 am »
got a set on order now...coming from china so it will likely take a couple of weeks :)

onejay

• Weekend Warrior
  • full monty,BMW S1000RR rear shock
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2014, 11:43:38 am »
just ordered mine
West Coast Chillin

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2014, 11:52:33 am »
I got some cheap chinese ones in slow blue...they are great quality..much better than i expected.

I did have the threatening letters from the courier about import tax but as the seller had marked them as $20 i ignored them and they didnt persist.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2014, 09:49:34 pm »
I got a set from these guys http://shop.the2wheels.com/7-Clicks-GP-Levers-Adjustable-YAMAHA-LE7-YA.htm

quality better than I expected and seem to be wearing rather well.
I got the older model that was 5 position adjustable and not 7 like the new ones.
were marked as only worth about $15 from memory so I did not pay any import duty.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2014, 09:02:01 am »
I got a set of the Chazzos years ago for the 'Blade.  They are great quality and mine didn't fade (from 2 wheels trading).  They did start to annoy me though in the looks department, the more I saw out and about the more chavy they looked - like a generic halfords wing on your car, not quite fitting with the overally look and clearly not made for the particular styling...

Iput the std ones back on when I sold it and the bike looked better for it
Intentionally left blank

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2014, 07:44:00 pm »
well....my levers arrived today.

The clutch lever looks about right, but the brake lever is definately the wrong one. it looks ok except for the part which should protrude into the master cylinder plunger...it doesnt stick out enough.

Are the FZ1/FZ8/FZ6 levers different like this, maybe the seller has sent me the wrong ones (seems strange why the clutch one looks ok)??

for £15 I wont be returning them to Hong Kong either... looks like Ill need to buy another set now, or try and macguyver something up with these :lol

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2014, 08:06:22 pm »
well....my levers arrived today.

The clutch lever looks about right, but the brake lever is definately the wrong one. it looks ok except for the part which should protrude into the master cylinder plunger...it doesnt stick out enough.

Are the FZ1/FZ8/FZ6 levers different like this, maybe the seller has sent me the wrong ones (seems strange why the clutch one looks ok)??

for £15 I wont be returning them to Hong Kong either... looks like Ill need to buy another set now, or try and macguyver something up with these :lol

think your right on this one, I got some a while back, clutch is ok, but the brake has caused problems, very spongy, with a lot of travel, tried bleeding them, but no real difference was talking to mike about it when he ivanised the bike, thought it might be the master , but your post confirms. mine are coming of.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2014, 08:16:47 pm »
Im off to the shed to see if I cant macguyver a fix up.... ill take some pics for comparison etc :)

D8nny7

• Weekend Warrior
  • Never be ashamed to unlearn an old habit
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Fazer all the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2014, 09:12:12 pm »
Those look pretty good do any of you know which ones to get to fit my fzs600 2000yr??
One Life Live it Bitches!!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2014, 10:07:44 pm »
well.... my cunning macguyver-esque bodge didnt work as well as I had hoped. Heres the difference between my brake lever and the OEM unit:

you can see the part of the OEM one which is much more pronounced to let it contact the master cylinder cleanly. theres actually an indent on the "new" lever:

What I tried, was to drill a hole through the indent, tap the hole, and screw a bolt in so there is a protrusion again:

Although this may work for me with a bit more fettling, its still not contacting the master cylinder well at all:

I may have another mess around with it tomorrow....but more than likely ill just order another set and hope they sit better as many guys on here seem to have no problems with theirs, making me think this is actually the wrong lever Ive been sent.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2014, 10:10:04 pm by mickvp »

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2014, 11:16:12 pm »
Did it touch the master cylinder plunger before you put the bolt in? The company you bought them from will ask of a picture of thr lever to prove it doesn't fit, then they will send a replacement. I have had a few different items from hong kong that were replaced because they weren't right. Usually they ask for a pic to prove it's wrong then ask you to break the item and send a pic of broken item. They will then send a replacement

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2014, 11:27:12 pm »
That's too far out. I think they've sent you the wrong one. My FZS600 brake lever was spot on for a match on the original, and my Speed Triple one is better than the original. They've made the bit that pushes the master cylinder the correct length, so it overcomes an OEM design fault that doesn't let the plunger retract properly  :)

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2014, 11:35:40 pm »
Please be careful if you test your mod out .
 a friend did similar bodge years back but  didn't realise the brake was slightly on all the time
As the disk got hot the brake grabbed and locked up  :'( 
He was ok after he picked himself up only his pride dented
Its just a ride

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2014, 12:21:45 am »
Please be careful if you test your mod out .
 a friend did similar bodge years back but  didn't realise the brake was slightly on all the time
As the disk got hot the brake grabbed and locked up  :'( 
He was ok after he picked himself up only his pride dented

I wont be going out with it like that mate, its been removed from the bike again and the OEM unit refitted :)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2014, 12:34:01 am »
Did it touch the master cylinder plunger before you put the bolt in? The company you bought them from will ask of a picture of thr lever to prove it doesn't fit, then they will send a replacement. I have had a few different items from hong kong that were replaced because they weren't right. Usually they ask for a pic to prove it's wrong then ask you to break the item and send a pic of broken item. They will then send a replacement

no, it didnt touch it at all before I added the bolt. ive contacted the seller, just waiting on a response. obviously if they ask me to return them then ill just order another set as it probably wont be worth my while. might as well keep the clutch one as a spare in that case.

I hope they deal with it like you have said, that would be ideal :)

D8nny7

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Fazer all the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2014, 12:48:51 am »
What model are you fitting them to? I'm just wondering wether the fzs 1000 ones would fit a fzs 600

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2014, 12:56:52 am »
Fzs1000 mate.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2014, 01:05:39 am »
I'm sure they will send another one. They usually ask for photo and if you send it they will send a replacement. The Chinese hate negative feedback, so are usually excellent to deal with.

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2014, 11:34:15 am »

Just emailed the seller, got a reply within hours, very  apologetic ,asked for photo, said it does happen they send the wrong one out,.

tex
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2014, 02:05:52 pm »
Yup. Seller has been in touch today and will he sending me the correct replacement out. Very nice fella to deal with.

D8nny7

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Fazer all the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2014, 03:52:47 pm »
wonder if someone could point me in the right direction im looking at chaninging my levers also but i cant find the correct set for the fzs600?? its year 2000 and do any of the other models fit, for the price you cant grumble ehh  :lol
i was looking to see if the fazer 1000 would fit but not sure i may just go ahead and try my luck if no one knows