Date: 08-05-24  Time: 01:56 am

Author Topic: Project Fazer: The build thread  (Read 57836 times)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Project Fazer: The build thread
« on: 17 February 2014, 09:32:55 pm »
All threads should start with a song... And what better song (knowing me) than Tubthumping?  :lol :lol
Tubthumping (I Get Knocked Down) Lyrics

Right! Bike time.  :)

So, yesterday, I picked up what is soon to be my new steed! A T-reg, silver Fazer 600. In bits. But hey, got to start somewhere, and for £250, that's a pretty good start.

Argh! Peugeot, stop eating my bike!!  :rollin

As you might be able to see, it is a complete bike. And stainless pipes too, which is a nice bonus! For the curious, here's the listing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-fazer-600-/301094978006?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=rS5Nr6pfg%252B%252BbFQQEIyufV8Cs1EY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

And the LoFos may remember I vanished off on a (not so) secret mission on the annual meet a fortnight ago. And it was to pick this bad boy up:
Bros swingarm
Bros swingarm

The plan is to fit that to the back end. I also plan (eventually) an upside down forks front end. I also plan twin underseat exhausts, the Foxeye tank, mucking around with LEDs in the head and tail lamps, and maybe even the Tokyo Racer oil cooler (as Deefer assures me the plumbing won't be as bad as I thought). Memory bump:

A neatened rear fairing goes without saying (as it will also be accomodating the under seat exhausts). I think I know which bike the curved radiator is from, so that might be on the cards. Other mods include K&N pod filters and an interesting paint job.  8)

Speaking of which....  :D

A plan I have which I want to implement is a "sponsor" style thing. This bike is going to be built with a lot of help from Foccers (well, I hope so, unless Micky uses his new powers to ban me!!  :b ). So, my plan is this: If you contribute anything to this project: time, space, parts, money; anything basically, you get to put your name, forum username, or logo of choice on the bike at the end of the project asd part of its paint job, like the sponsor stickers on a race bike. These will be on the tank, the tail fairing, and the bellypan (as I plan to fit another one). And obviously, there'll be a nice, big FOC-U logo across the front!  :D

The project's only just started, but there's already a list of sponsors with prime sticker rights! This list will be updated throughout the project too (for my memory, if nowt else!!)

Updates soon...  8)

Sponsor Foccers:
Red98 (carried over for help with the last bike :\ )
Bozboz
BigBlueBear
Deefer666
Rusty Rider
Apage16
Punkstig
« Last Edit: 27 May 2014, 10:37:46 pm by ChristoT »
The Deef's apprentice

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Project Fazer: The build thread
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2014, 09:40:03 pm »
Do u mean by prime sticker rights  that the people who help you will be immortalised by u puttin decal's on ur bike of their forum monickers ?
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Project Fazer: The build thread
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2014, 09:44:29 pm »
Do u mean by prime sticker rights  that the people who help you will be immortalised by u puttin decal's on ur bike of their forum monickers ?

Their forum monikers, a logo of choice: up to them. Of course, they may choose to not want to be associated with it in any way!!  :lol :lol
The Deef's apprentice

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2014, 09:45:24 pm »
I doin the same after my off.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2014, 09:46:30 pm »
I dont mind chucking a few quid in the pot, but I'm not sure I want my name plastered across your bike. Could always use my forum logo though.

I look forward to seeing this progress. promise us, dont kill yourself on it!

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2014, 09:49:05 pm »
I doin the same after my off.

Sounds good!  :)

So, if I gove you a tenner, would you stick a decal on your bike proclaiming: "I'm a foccing nob?"  :lol :lol

I dont mind chucking a few quid in the pot, but I'm not sure I want my name plastered across your bike. Could always use my forum logo though.

I look forward to seeing this progress. promise us, dont kill yourself on it!

Like I said, a logo of choice. One of the main reasons I'm revisiting a Fazer is because of this brilliant forum. So, to my mind, it's only fair that my inspiration and support group get a shout out!  :lol

I promise nothing. Apart from various Bikesafe courses when I'm allowed out on it!

The Deef's apprentice

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2014, 09:51:30 pm »
I would proclaim "Christo's a nob" yes.... Hope they do it in chrome ....

Geordi Sussex

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2014, 09:52:24 pm »
Looking forward to following your project
NFFN

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2014, 09:53:29 pm »
I would proclaim "Christo's a nob" yes.... Hope they do it in chrome ....

Where's me wallet?!?  :lol :lol

Looking forward to following your project

Thanks Geordi! I shall be referenceing your thread for my forks, I think!  :)
The Deef's apprentice

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2014, 11:14:49 am »
Certainly an interesting and very exhaustive build. Not sure what your plan is, but get it road worthy with the basics first, then start the modifications.

Where are you even based now? You've moved around so much it has me confused

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2014, 01:18:05 pm »

So what bits do you need then???
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2014, 06:23:28 pm »

Hate to be a damp squib, but someone's gotta say it...

Insurers are going to give you a hard enough time already what with being young, no ncb and a claim. They're going to be even more unwilling to give you an affordable deal if presented with a long modifications list.
Wouldn't it be better to get the thing rebuilt as close to OE spec as possible?
I can certainly see the appeal of this engineering project, but it could easily turn into a money pit after it's up and running. At least with a standard bike you have something saleable… the market for a mucked-about-with bike is pretty limited unless your name is Arlen Ness. 

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2014, 06:33:38 pm »

Hate to be a damp squib, but someone's gotta say it...

Insurers are going to give you a hard enough time already what with being young, no ncb and a claim. They're going to be even more unwilling to give you an affordable deal if presented with a long modifications list.
Wouldn't it be better to get the thing rebuilt as close to OE spec as possible?
I can certainly see the appeal of this engineering project, but it could easily turn into a money pit after it's up and running. At least with a standard bike you have something saleable… the market for a mucked-about-with bike is pretty limited unless your name is Arlen Ness.

Been thinking this since you first mentioned Fazer Project. You've already said you can't afford to insure another standard Fazer. What are you doing about finding yourself a decent income? I think that would be my priority in your position. I'm not outright saying you're doing completely the wrong thing - you're a pretty bright cookie, and I wish you luck with whatever you take on, but would a touch of realism not be a wiser path right now? Seems like you are trying to spend money you just don't, and won't, have.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2014, 06:37:12 pm »
Even a stock Fazer is very, very dear. Due to funds, I am unlikely to be on the road soon, so I might as well enjoy tinkering with it until I can! I don't really fancy building, then changing, I'd rather build once, then enjoy.

I am building this bike as a keeper. I don't care how little it's worth, it's mine, and it's my spec.
The Deef's apprentice

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2014, 07:00:51 pm »
Fair enough. ;)
I look forward to following the build.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2014, 07:19:15 pm »
I have a full time job (well, internship) which pays a little. If I'm careful with my expenses, I'll be able to fund the build stage at least. :)
The Deef's apprentice

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2014, 07:26:57 pm »
Where's the ZX at? Keeping, or see if you can sell a few bits off it?

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 February 2014, 07:29:29 pm »
Keeping in boxes. I will do it up one day, but I'd frankly rather build a :faz.
The Deef's apprentice

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2014, 07:34:35 pm »
For what it worth, I think your nuts buying a basket case to rebuild.
I did not see the cylinder head in any of the pictures, I assume it came with it. :lol
Building a basket case is like making a second hand jigsaw, no guarantee all the pieces you need are with it.
You could have bought a runner for £800 :rolleyes http://motoring.friday-ad.co.uk/swansea/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-fzs/yamaha-fazer-for-KV0175005

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2014, 07:40:47 pm »
For what it worth, I think your nuts buying a basket case to rebuild.

Or a basket case for buying a box of nuts?  :lol

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2014, 07:53:58 pm »
I didn't have £800 to spend. The bike is all there, just a question of rebuilding! Plus, I hope that Deefer will be helping me, and I'll be able to buy parts from him.
The Deef's apprentice

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2014, 08:13:29 pm »
I can't knock your enthusiasm and you could end up creating something quite unique but as some have stated above it would be easier, quicker and cheaper to rebuild a nice looking, standard ish Fazer.

I'm sure lots of us on here have spare parts they would happily donate from Fazers they own or have owned which you could use without modification.

Despite all the above advice, I realise you have probably already decided the route you are going to take.

I therefore wish you the best of luck with it and if you are in no rush then it could be the right idea. From experience of having built a couple of bikes from the frame up though I can say that it can be pretty damn costly.

All the best  :)
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 February 2014, 08:19:07 pm »
Good luck mate, but at your age you are seriously going to struggle to get it insured at all to be honest!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 February 2014, 08:52:57 pm »
Aw mate it seems all a bit let's get Christo tonight :( ............an inbetweener in age between you & some of our more gracefully matured members ;)  I'm feeling both vibes here & these guys wouldnt say what they are without some kind of truth to it but i hate to say it we're all probably genuinely dreading that you'll end up down shit street once again & with not enough funds to bail out as many of us would do if needed.

Basically i think we all just wanna see you on 2 wheels and at some meets and a big smily face going on.clearly you are capable of mechanical stuff but what's more important....fettling or riding.

Everyone shoot me down if required here :uhuh [size=78%] but i'm willing to bet that if you decided to just rebuild that bike into an awesome standard fazer that you could probably do it from foccers giving you parts lying around....well maybe not a whole engine but as said already, everything else must be just lying around in sheds all over the country and what would make us all happier than seeing a bunch of spare parts come together & make a new fazer plus being able to follow it on here...surely that's what a club is about?[/size]

Ok so maybe charity isnt what you're looking for but regardless i'll say this....you'll get only a fraction of help towards a hybrid project but overwhelming help to go standard.it must be worth a thought at least.

All the dosh you were gonna spend can then pay for the insurance. 8)

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 February 2014, 09:16:50 pm »
Not running the chap down and I have to admire his enthusiasm, but the costs of he is proposing are astronomical for someone who says he has no money. :rolleyes
I believe projects are great if you the time access to money and have a bike to enjoy riding while building the project. I have seen so many projects left because the enthusiasm wears off or the funds are not there to fulfil the dream. :'(
Best of luck :)