Date: 17-05-24  Time: 17:28 pm

Author Topic: M&P carb sync set  (Read 4250 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: M&P carb sync set
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2016, 09:23:49 pm »
Thats a great price, exactly same as I have got,  I bought mine about 12 years ago for around the same price!

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2016, 09:57:27 pm »
Anyone know if vacuum gauges like these are better than Morgan carbtune ??? I've got a carbtune and always feel like they're not precise.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2016, 10:18:47 pm »
http://www.mandp.co.uk/index.php/default/economy-system-4-vac-gauges.html?utm_source=M%26P+Motorcycles+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e1d719daad-M_P_HalloweeN10_26_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_60ff870421-e1d719daad-96472501&goal=0_60ff870421-e1d719daad-96472501&mc_cid=e1d719daad&mc_eid=bc9422164d

great price.

That's the same set as I bought, but I paid £33.29 including postage, they arrived two days after ordering. Nice bit of kit, looks well made, sturdy and nicely finished.
Yet to use it, but, don't foresee any problems. 

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2016, 10:20:38 pm »
Oh! the other thing I like about this set is you can Zero the needles easily before you start with a small screwdriver

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2016, 12:22:11 am »
Anyone know if vacuum gauges like these are better than Morgan carbtune ??? I've got a carbtune and always feel like they're not precise.
I've found the Morgan Carbtune to be better. I've got both and always find it more difficult to get steady, accurate readings on the gauges.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2016, 06:29:09 am »
Thats a great price, exactly same as I have got,  I bought mine about 12 years ago for around the same price!

I've got the set too, and paid £40 from M&P 15 years ago. At £30, they are very good value.

The only thing I did was replace the hoses and damping valves to improve the operation.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2016, 08:28:57 am »
http://www.mandp.co.uk/index.php/default/economy-system-4-vac-gauges.html?utm_source=M%26P+Motorcycles+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e1d719daad-M_P_HalloweeN10_26_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_60ff870421-e1d719daad-96472501&goal=0_60ff870421-e1d719daad-96472501&mc_cid=e1d719daad&mc_eid=bc9422164d

great price.

That's the same set as I bought, but I paid £33.29 including postage, they arrived two days after ordering. Nice bit of kit, looks well made, sturdy and nicely finished.

"Yet to use it, but don't foresee any problems"

What sort of fooked up statement is that? They could be totally shite?
That's like a woman looking at a pair of shoes that are 3 sizes too small and saying "Oh, they look lovely, i'm sure they'll be fine."  :look
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2016, 08:47:03 am »

great price.

That's like a woman looking at a pair of shoes that are 3 sizes too small and saying "Oh, they look lovely, i'm sure they'll be fine."  :look

:lol   Ive got a set of these, had them years and used many, many times, I do have to calibrate them every time I use them by connecting them to the same carb I
in turn and adjusting if needed...the restrictor screws are a bit crude but they do work well...think I paid £50

One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2016, 08:51:34 am »

I've got the set too, and paid £40 from M&P 15 years ago. At £30, they are very good value.

The only thing I did was replace the hoses and damping valves to improve the operation.

Can you remember where you got the damping valves ?.......be good to replace mine...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2016, 09:06:50 am »

great price.

:lol   Ive got a set of these, had them years and used many, many times, I do have to calibrate them every time I use them by connecting them to the same carb I
in turn and adjusting if needed...the restrictor screws are a bit crude but they do work well...think I paid £50

It's only until you've used these tools that you even realise things can be so vastly improved.
My bike used to pop madly on deceleration, and the exhaust had a lovely raw/raspy sound to it, especially if i gave it a bit of welly.
But after mastering the CarbTune kit i've got, and eventually getting the hang of adjusting the screws that are in a shitty place, it went from being a holidaying lager lout to more of a Special Forces kind of bike, if you know what i mean.
The handling at lower revs and speeds went from ropey to smooth as anything, and the noise of the exhaust was very noticeably different. It still had the grin factor at higher speeds but in traffic it was much quieter, plus the tickover was as stable as anything.
If anyone reading this has not had their carbs balanced before, i thoroughly recommend it, it makes a world of difference, but just make sure your air filter is in good nick beforehand, and your TPS sits quite happily at 5000rpm, otherwise things start getting a bit complicated.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2016, 11:30:02 am »
 :agree

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2016, 06:51:37 pm »

Can you remember where you got the damping valves ?.......be good to replace mine...

Local aquarium store (a 2 minute walk from home). They are used to moderate air supplies in fish tanks. Far better than the supplied valves.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2016, 07:23:40 pm »
Ah......good thinking, cheers buddy   :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2016, 10:43:08 pm »

great price.

Reminds me of a Michael MacIntyre joke about the time he went clothes shopping with his wife and she had been in number of shops and got all excited at one point and started saying in aloud voice 'I got into a size 10 Michael yes a size 10, do you realise its a size 10 Michael?'
He replied whats all the fuss about its only a pair of shoes. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 October 2016, 06:25:03 am »

great price.

Reminds me of a Michael MacIntyre joke about the time he went clothes shopping with his wife and she had been in number of shops and got all excited at one point and started saying in aloud voice 'I got into a size 10 Michael yes a size 10, do you realise its a size 10 Michael?'

About 5 years ago my mate was seeing this woman for a while, mega pretty, but a big framed girl and as tall as me, and she was at the bar down the local pub one night and she says to me "These new shoes i bought today are killing my feet, i think i need to just pop to the car and change into a pair of trainers for a while."
So i asked what the problem was, as being a bloke i tend not to get these sort of issues, and she said "They're only a size 5, i'm a size 7, but they never had them in that size and had also run out of size 6 as well!"
Now, this was actually a very clever and well to do girl, but i just looked at her in disbelief and was literally speechless for a minute or so.
I believe i can be a genuine spokesman on behalf of the male population here, but the thought of buying a pair of footwear TWO sizes too small "because i like them" just doesn't even register in my mind, in fact i would laugh at you if you even asked me to try them on.
Firstly, what on earth goes through a woman's mind whilst even considering trying them on, let alone purchasing them, and secondly what kind of evil twisted shop assistant sells a person a pair of shoes in the knowledge that they are TWO sizes too small for them?
Does that make them incompetent at their job, or salesperson of the day?
It's messed up, either way.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 October 2016, 09:31:47 am »

great price.

About 5 years ago my mate was seeing this woman for a while, mega pretty, but a big framed girl and as tall as me, and she was at the bar down the local pub one night and she says to me "These new shoes i bought today are killing my feet, i think i need to just pop to the car and change into a pair of trainers for a while."
So i asked what the problem was, as being a bloke i tend not to get these sort of issues, and she said "They're only a size 5, i'm a size 7, but they never had them in that size and had also run out of size 6 as well!"
Now, this was actually a very clever and well to do girl, but i just looked at her in disbelief and was literally speechless for a minute or so.
I believe i can be a genuine spokesman on behalf of the male population here, but the thought of buying a pair of footwear TWO sizes too small "because i like them" just doesn't even register in my mind, in fact i would laugh at you if you even asked me to try them on.
Firstly, what on earth goes through a woman's mind whilst even considering trying them on, let alone purchasing them, and secondly what kind of evil twisted shop assistant sells a person a pair of shoes in the knowledge that they are TWO sizes too small for them?
Does that make them incompetent at their job, or salesperson of the day?
It's messed up, either way.

Sales Person of the day I reckon.
I once heard of a geezer who bought a set of carb balancing gauges and was convinced they would be all right and didn't foresee any issues and the twat hadn't even tried them LOL! :lol

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 October 2016, 09:34:03 am »
I paid about £40 for an identical set some years ago. Replaced all the rubber hoses last year as the originals had developed a tendency to split at the end, which could could have you wondering what was happening if you didn't spot it.
I made a vacuum set-up using an empty small co2 mig welding cylinder to calibrate the gauges. But they should be right when you get them.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 October 2016, 09:37:12 am »

Sales Person of the day I reckon.
I once heard of a geezer who bought a set of carb balancing gauges and was convinced they would be all right and didn't foresee any issues and the twat hadn't even tried them LOL! :lol

Cruel but  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 October 2016, 10:20:38 am »
I paid about £40 for an identical set some years ago. Replaced all the rubber hoses last year as the originals had developed a tendency to split at the end, which could could have you wondering what was happening if you didn't spot it.
I made a vacuum set-up using an empty small co2 mig welding cylinder to calibrate the gauges. But they should be right when you get them.

Crikey, that all sounds a bit A Team to me.  :lol

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 October 2016, 10:51:01 am »

I calibrate mine using a syringe (boyle's law).

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2016, 10:56:30 am »

I calibrate mine using a syringe (boyle's law).

I think Murphy's Law applies more to me.  :lol