Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:35 pm

Author Topic: Possessed '03 Foxeye? Revs  (Read 1241 times)

Gidds

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Possessed '03 Foxeye? Revs
« on: 29 April 2021, 09:52:58 pm »
Hi all!

Apologies for the clickbait title but I fear my bike made need some sort of exorcism as i'm pulling out my already balding hair with this one.....

I have an '03 foxeye, sub 18k miles, ridden daily (commuting from Bristol to Bath) since January with no problems.

Until yesterday... while accelerating fairly hard on a dual carriageway when the revs just dropped off like it was low on power but only temporarily! Not a misfire, just low power temporarily.

It happened at about 9k revs, dropped to about 7k revs then picked back up to around 8k. "Strange" i thought...

Until today! when, as if by some strange occurrence... the opposite happened! Increased revs while accelerating (as though a slipping clutch) then back to normal. I was nowhere near he clutch and hadn't used it in quite some time!

I feel i should add it doesn't hunt on idle and this is an intermittent fault.

To add more detail, I did an oil change at the weekend (let's not get into oil chat!) It di need a top up while I was riding after the change when the oil light came on so I topped it up a little. No more light. Could it be this? I feel this is fairly circumspect...

I also, to be safe, uprated the front sprocket this evening as I knew if had the older skinny one on there as i thought it might be spooling there but the nut I removed was tight like a tiger when I took it off.

So the bottom line is, I think my bike is possessed, does anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be and how to rectify it???

Failing that, does know any priests who do call outs to Bristol?

I ride a, very possibly possessed, '03 Foxeye.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Possessed '03 Foxeye? Revs
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2021, 08:51:57 am »
Sounds like fuelling issues to me, could be blocked/restricted breather, fuel line or crab problems.  As with many problems it often who longs a piece string as you may have several issues causing these symptoms.   
« Last Edit: 30 April 2021, 09:00:22 am by Gnasher »
Later

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2021, 10:55:36 am »
:agree

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gidds

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2021, 08:16:08 pm »
Bump.

Thanks for the direction with this. Having done a it of digging through old posts - as far back as 2013!) and other peoples similar symptoms I think i have found he solution - although am struggling to consistently rectify it.

I believe it's the clutch push rod adjustment.
This being because I removed it as it  stuck to the actuator when i removed the casing to clean out the sprocket before fitment!
[/size]In addition to this, I have tried several different tightnesses on the bolts but i'm flummoxed as to what is "right"Doe anyone know how i adjust the clutch push rod floating end? Tanks again for any support!G

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2021, 09:36:00 pm »
Try adjusting the clutch this way, but first ensure the Clutch lever pivot hole is not worn before adjusting the clutch and cable is not frayed causing the elongation of the cable
They can fray at the handle bar or inside the sprocket cover. Take off the sprocket cover and check it

Now,
Screw in the cable adjuster full at the lever end.
Remove the rubber bung on the sprocket coverLoosen the lock nut with a deep good quality ring spanner or a 6 sided socket to loosen the locknut ( it will loosen with a crack and frighten the crap out of you)
Turn the lock nut anti clockwise a full turn
Hold you fingers lightly on the clutch lever
Turn the centre screw clockwise with a good fitting flat screwdriver
You will feel the lever moving out
Keep turning the screw until the lever is about 5 to 6mm from the lever housing.
Use a ring spanner to Tighten the lock nut while holding the adjust in position with the screwdriver.
Replace the rubber bung
Make any final adjustments at the cable adjuster
If you cannot get less than 10mm at the lever or the adjuster screw tightens replace the cable

For greasing the Actuator read this in the downloads https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=60

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2021, 09:47:39 pm »
Bump.

Badly adjusted clutch push, will make the clutch slip and the revs will rise, not drop, as you stated in your first post.  This would make the drive or power fall but the engine revs increase.

Did the engine revs rise or fall?   
Later

Gidds

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2021, 09:52:30 pm »
Try adjusting the clutch this way, but first ensure the Clutch lever pivot hole is not worn before adjusting the clutch and cable is not frayed causing the elongation of the cable....

thanks for the comprehensive reply unfazed! I'll give this a go over the weekend. :)

Gidds

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2021, 09:56:16 pm »
Bump.

Badly adjusted clutch push, will make the clutch slip and the revs will rise, not drop, as you stated in your first post.  This would make the drive or power fall but the engine revs increase.

Did the engine revs rise or fall?   

Retrospectively, i think they only rose - i think perhaps the first time I noticed the fault until I had accelerated off and saw the revs drop drastically.
Added into this, the clutch appears only to be slipping at the peak of the torque curve and hasn't dropped off since the first time.

Thanks also for the input - I replaced the fuel filter so thanks for the heads up with that. :)