Date: 26-04-24  Time: 08:23 am

Author Topic: Strange plastic sounding squeak!  (Read 1419 times)

sparky88

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Strange plastic sounding squeak!
« on: 22 March 2021, 10:09:54 pm »
I know it sounds daft and almost impossible to diagnose without hearing it but here goes anyway, I am looking at a really good 98 Fazer it's got no problems I can find except an after market silencer and a strange squeak when I rotate the chain, best I can make out is it appears to come near or forwards of the plastic/rubber guide on top of swing arm? I doubt if it's anything serious but just thought I would throw it out there for any feedback. It is not constant but appears every once or twice a revolution of the chain, if he drops his crazy asking price I will probably buy and strip and clean guide and hope for the best, thanks for any help.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Strange plastic sounding squeak!
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2021, 06:24:23 am »
Could be a dry chain, too tight, or sticking chain links.
Sticking links tend to stay at a slightly diagonal position, rather than horizontal, which can be visually spotted by looking at the lower part when rotated, plus you will feel a slight knocking on the left foot rest as well.
Could also be wheel bearings I suppose too, but obviously this is just pure speculation without seeing or hearing it.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

sparky88

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2021, 08:15:48 am »
Could be a dry chain, too tight, or sticking chain links.
Sticking links tend to stay at a slightly diagonal position, rather than horizontal, which can be visually spotted by looking at the lower part when rotated, plus you will feel a slight knocking on the left foot rest as well.
Could also be wheel bearings I suppose too, but obviously this is just pure speculation without seeing or hearing it.

My feeling is the chain too, but if I buy it I will give it a good clean and lube and adjust it, it is one of those rare bikes which was locked up for 15 years and only did 80 odd miles a year and has a total of 8000 on the clock.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2021, 09:21:31 am »

Check the bike has had the front sprocket nut/washer mod and that it's not suffering from the nut starting to undo.  You an see it if you look up/in the cover. 

Take an oil can and a brush, if the above isn't happening and it has been modded.  Oil the brush (don't go mad) brush the chain ensure it's all coated, if the noise goes or quietens down it's a shot chain.  Oiling will cause no damage, if he refuses knock him for a set a chain and sprockets, if he won't budge walk away.

Top price means top bike, not squeaks  :rolleyes
Later

sparky88

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2021, 12:50:11 pm »

Check the bike has had the front sprocket nut/washer mod and that it's not suffering from the nut starting to undo.  You an see it if you look up/in the cover. 

Take an oil can and a brush, if the above isn't happening and it has been modded.  Oil the brush (don't go mad) brush the chain ensure it's all coated, if the noise goes or quietens down it's a shot chain.  Oiling will cause no damage, if he refuses knock him for a set a chain and sprockets, if he won't budge walk away.

Top price means top bike, not squeaks  :rolleyes

It's not the lock nut that was first thing I checked have had 3 high mileage fazers and never had one loosen, I'm beginning to think that's another urban myth!

NJD

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2021, 01:49:37 pm »
Based on what you say regarding mileage I get the sense the owner believes its a "minter," but in reality only doing 80 miles per year and leaving it sat for the rest of the year could probably create more problems than its worth. It may look visually good, but with everything having sat for so long on a regular basis how good does it run? If you can't take it for a run, I'd rather take a punt on a cheaper one from a dealer so at least you've got some "protection." Fazer 600's, as you know, are fairly common and easily modifiable. There not a bike I'd want to pick up a headache version of when there's plenty on the market.

Regarding the noise that you mention I wouldn't be overly alarmed. Many people prop their bikes up on the centre stand and convince themselves they've got an issue, but most of the time they don't since that's not how the bike is meant to run. Much in the same way running the bike in first, very gently, on the centre stand is pointless because the chain isn't under load etc (although this may be useful in this case to check what its doing an pinpoint the noise properly making sure NEVER to release the lever all the way, mind).

You'll want to take it for a run and make sure the chain hasn't been over-tightened and the noise isn't coming from inside the front sprocket cover and the bearing damaged (worse case scenario). Check rear wheel bearings also.

Other than that I'd just replace the chain and sprockets from the get go to save the headache. I paid £170 recently for a D.I.D from a dealer, so aim for £200 at most and if he wont budge then leave it alone.

Cracks on the inlet rubbers are about the only other thing I'd look out for (common, but how damaged are they)...

HTH.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2021, 03:23:31 pm »
It's not the lock nut that was first thing I checked have had 3 high mileage fazers and never had one loosen, I'm beginning to think that's another urban myth!

Oh it's no myth https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=92.0  I've seen/saw many back in the day.  Now depending how long you've been around bikes and the Fazer specifically, it could be you've just you've missed them, as pretty much all would have been sorted by now.   Accept the odd low mileage 98 that's been stored or hardly used in the last 20 odd years.   
« Last Edit: 24 March 2021, 08:20:31 am by Gnasher »
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2021, 12:19:26 pm »
With the 98 and OEM sprocket it will still have the "silent" plastic part on the front sprocket that breaks down -cracks, splits, bits break off. Could be connected.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

sparky88

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2021, 03:41:22 pm »
I know it sounds daft and almost impossible to diagnose without hearing it but here goes anyway, I am looking at a really good 98 Fazer it's got no problems I can find except an after market silencer and a strange squeak when I rotate the chain, best I can make out is it appears to come near or forwards of the plastic/rubber guide on top of swing arm? I doubt if it's anything serious but just thought I would throw it out there for any feedback. It is not constant but appears every once or twice a revolution of the chain, if he drops his crazy asking price I will probably buy and strip and clean guide and hope for the best, thanks for any help.

Doesn't matter in the end of the day I walked away, and have found a nice 99 minter with full service history and hard to believe 4700 miles, I wonder why some people buy bikes, but maybe now I'm in my 60's I too will only just roll her out on the 2 or 3 sunny day's we get here in Northern Ireland.
"Keep her between the hedges".