Date: 19-05-24  Time: 11:24 am

Author Topic: STROKE.........advice and help needed  (Read 12613 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: STROKE.........advice and help needed
« Reply #25 on: 05 January 2016, 12:54:24 am »
some good news tonight, wife managed to move left arm and leg.......nothing great but small improvements.....ozzy very happy with her progress

fingers crossed

:thumbup

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 January 2016, 04:14:17 pm »
physio is very important.      I know two people who had strokes,     the one struggled with physio the other didn't bother,    the one is on a walking stick the other has never left her wheelchair.       sad  just that little bit of drive,    o that was 15 years ago they are both okay. ;)
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 January 2016, 04:26:16 pm »
she's doing very well on the physio, they're very happy with and so much so, that she's being told off for trying to do too much herself eg getting up on the commode without help

fire never sleeps

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 January 2016, 06:47:22 pm »
she's doing very well on the physio, they're very happy with and so much so, that she's being told off for trying to do too much herself eg getting up on the commode without help

That is a good complaint and good for her own mindset, you will be amazed what a few weeks will do.  :)

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 January 2016, 09:00:13 pm »
Sorry to hear this brother, hope she gets better soon. My dad had a stroke back in the late 70's, mum and me had to look after him. He struggled for years trying to get better but unfortunately it took him in 82, its horrible thing to happen to anybody, I would guess that as the years have gone by the treatment has got better...... fingers crossed for a speedy recovery pal.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 06 January 2016, 12:21:53 pm »
cheers Mark
fire never sleeps

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 January 2016, 11:11:49 am »
wife is now getting physio to aid walking and she "walked" about 30m the other day with a nurse supporting her on both sides........staff and wife very happy

we're thinking of taking an iPad in for her and are wondering if anyone knows of any games that will aid her sight/brain recovery.......I'd only ask that people on here who have had a stroke/relatives had a stroke ......if you used something similar, reply

I ask that only because we can all second guess (me included.......I think crosswords maybe good.......but I maybe far off the mark and I don't want her stressing if she cannot do something) so only answers from those with direct experience please.......I've tried google to no avail and its hard catching a Doctor to ask the question

thanks in advance
fire never sleeps

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 January 2016, 11:21:45 am »
Excellent news maddog, and I totally agree with your request for those that have been there before, I would imagine though that every stroke is different and what's right for one may not be right for another so don't just close your eyes. I can't help you in any respect of a stroke as I've had no experience  but my dad suffers from dimentia and his isn't the same as someone else's so that's why I say keep an open mind.
Good luck fella.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 January 2016, 11:39:55 am »
you're 100% right mate and everyone is different........maybe I didn't make myself clear and I certainly didn't want to offend anyone

I'm seeking advice from those with experience as I think that maybe the best route that's all
fire never sleeps

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 January 2016, 11:42:21 am »
you're 100% right mate and everyone is different........maybe I didn't make myself clear and I certainly didn't want to offend anyone

I'm seeking advice from those with experience as I think that maybe the best route that's all
:agree
And you never offended me mate, I was nearly pointing out that an open mind is a good route
Hope I didn't offend you either :)
It's hard to put into txt what sometimes you'd say with no problems :)
« Last Edit: 24 January 2016, 11:43:26 am by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 January 2016, 11:44:28 am »
I cant help with any useful advice but it sounds like your wife is doing well so good lick and i hope she makes a speedy recovery.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 January 2016, 11:46:39 am »
Mr Maddog, glad she doin ok ,when I had my CVA my wife got me a Nintendo ds brain train but I have to be honest I didn't use it to much mainly because i hadn't got the patience at first and i got very frustrated and short tempered when i couldn't do it ,I found everyday conversation and a bit of banter with family and friends  the best therapy .And as i said  in a earlier post if you need to bend someone's ear get in touch

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 January 2016, 02:07:07 pm »
My best wishes to all concerned. Everyone is different but just a tale of hope - my best mate's dad had a pretty hefty one that forced him to retire. He was laid up for a while but now he's the same old guy he always was, always coming out with comedy gold, where for a while he couldn't speak properly but no issues any more. The only thing is he didn't bother getting his driving licence back as he was late 60s when it happened and not sure he'd pass the 70+ medical. Hope your Mrs makes a full recovery too.
__
There's no replacement for displacement

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 January 2016, 03:17:36 pm »
no offence taken by me pal

Fatbloke.....I clocked your offer early on and appreciate the offer, nothing's been to troublesome upto now but if things come on top then I'll pm you

I think the with one hand down plus dodgy peripheral vision....the DS might be a bit small

thanks to everyone else for the kind thoughts too
fire never sleeps

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 January 2016, 06:59:13 pm »

we're thinking of taking an iPad in for her and are wondering if anyone knows of any games that will aid her sight/brain recovery......
No stroke experience but my 75 year old inlaws are somewhat addicted to word storm on the ipad
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25 January 2016, 09:00:34 pm »
complaint going in tomorrow with the ward manager

Mrs had no physio today, they've opened a 5th bay for "medical" patients who have to be seen by a physio within X time......so today, 3 stroke patients including my Mrs missed their physio coz the clowns that make the rules, made the physios go and see to less important patients.
The physios are as pissed off with it as the stroke patients and told me Mrs to complain. I've learnt tonight that my Mrs should be getting a minimum 30 minutes every day which doesn't always happen either.....the stroke patients see physio as their "get out of gaol card".....the more physio = the better you get = the earlier you go home!
fire never sleeps

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 January 2016, 10:33:47 pm »
I. Hope your wife gets the physio she needs , complaining definitely helps , staying silent and they just assume your ok , my daughter Amy was rushed into hospital yesterday with appendicitis , she was breaking.g her heart when we went to see her tonight as she hasn't eaten for 24 hours , I had a word with the nurse , just explaining that I know your busy , but if you could at least let her know what's going on  it would make a difference  .

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 26 January 2016, 12:39:21 am »
I no it's frustrating but hold fire with complaining turn the negative into a positive ! your wife is in the best place she's getting better slowly, think how the opposite would have effected you and your family and remember everyone deserves the same treatment regardless if there needs are less, so I would not be complaining myself they do a brilliant job even if understaffed, it ain't a race !

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26 January 2016, 10:06:33 am »
I. Hope your wife gets the physio she needs , complaining definitely helps , staying silent and they just assume your ok , my daughter Amy was rushed into hospital yesterday with appendicitis , she was breaking.g her heart when we went to see her tonight as she hasn't eaten for 24 hours , I had a word with the nurse , just explaining that I know your busy , but if you could at least let her know what's going on  it would make a difference  .
Im no doctor but I would of thought that being rushed in with appendicitis could mean an operation and when you have an operation then you are usually nill by mouth for x amount of time. Never had any appendicitis issues or know anyone who has so I may be out of place in saying that I would not of thought one of the symptoms is feeling hungry.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 26 January 2016, 12:45:51 pm »
hope your daughter's ok esetest, send her our best wishes

cable......understand your point and I know she's in the best place but the stroke ward should be for stroke patients. problems arise when ozzys are short of beds and plonk anyone in any bed. These last few weeks have seen patients with chest infections, dementia etc placed on her ward......it was getting her down as she saw all these elderly "stroke" victims going home before her when ozzy are telling her she's doing great. It began to depress her as she then thought there was something wrong with her

also had a dementia patient crying/shouting out loud at all hours of the day and night (not her fault) which meant no one getting any rest/sleep

on top of all this, the 5th ward patients got the physio over the stroke patients

this is why we're all angry (including the physio's)

the easiest way to put it is to liken someone on a critical care ward needing round the clock treatment and someone with the flu getting a bed in there or the Doc being called away to deal with the flu patient in the next ward.......extreme example I know......but you get my drift

It's one thing having spare beds and if a particular ward is full the ozzy has to fit people in which I understand but Triage works on the basis of those needing priority and I'd argue here that the stroke patients are losing priority due to the old tick box scenario
fire never sleeps

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 26 January 2016, 01:44:33 pm »
get on there case maddog,    they don't get a second chance at the physio, the time is now,   good luck both.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04 February 2016, 04:48:35 pm »
It was my mistake mr maddog I realised after I sent it I should have posted on the existing thread  ;)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05 February 2016, 10:40:51 am »
no worries pal, mods have locked it down now

she walked up a flight of stairs in the ozzy yesterday, I thought they were a small wooden set of 2or 3 steps they had knocked up in the physio room but they actually took her out to the public stairwell that we use to access the ozzy floors. Around 12 stairs and she went up and down twice with no support other than her holding onto the handrail.......wiped her out physically and mentally but everyone chuffed to bits

her mind is still going from the odd confused moment to pure sharpness. We were sat around the bed discussing various crap and somehow we got onto Royalty, Brother in law says he'd shoot the lot of them (not a lover of the Royals) as the Mrs buzzes for the toilet......one of those nights were everyone on the ward wanted the toilet at the same time and its hectic for the staff.

Mrs is desperate and buzzes again and the nurse asks if she needs anything.....yeah the toilet........well you're 3rd at the moment replies the nurse and quick as a flash the wife says........ 3rd in line for the throne and starts laughing

I thought it was very clever how she immediately linked talk of Royalty and the toilet and came up with the line......I couldn't come up with this and I'm meant to be the "good" brain!

on another note, she had the male nurse scratching his head......so, when a female nurse gets promoted and then gets called Sister........what do they call you if you get the job........ Brother?
he was right flummoxed and didn't have a clue........so come on everyone.....have a serious guess and lets see what you come up with (no googling the answer) :rolleyes
winner gets 10 brownie points  :D
fire never sleeps

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #48 on: 05 February 2016, 10:45:33 am »
Ohh Matron!

No, its still Sister really.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05 February 2016, 11:03:41 am »
technically correct but BB but as a male you're not going to answer to that, so the question still stands folks (BTW.....the male nurse came back and told the Mrs the answer)
fire never sleeps