Date: 22-05-24  Time: 15:08 pm

Author Topic: Why don't Police riders hang off the seat?  (Read 15142 times)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't Police riders hang off the seat?
« Reply #50 on: 28 April 2013, 09:22:23 pm »
I had a good ride up to the Motorcycle museum today and the last thing on my mind was hanging off, what was on my mind was "hanging on" :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 28 April 2013, 09:28:28 pm »
See if someone wants to look like a cock end hangin off the side of their bike, what in the name of fuk has it to do with anyone else?

And power rangers? Is this the new black? The buzz word of the week?
Are we saying don't wear leathers now?

"Look at that twat there hanging off the side of his bike with the predator hat and the sponsored onesies. Doesn't he look like a right pillock?"

Says Jim, 37, from Bury St. Edmonds, sporting this seasons new flourescent tabard from Milan favourite, Ross Pah. This seasons line has gone down well at London fashion week with critics and fans alike praising its unprecedented levels of piety and judgement.

Well i must say that i dont often agree with your renagade ways mr tiberius but i think youre genuinely on to somethin here & that comment has made me chuckle big time :lol

So we've started off with a question about the police...& we're now slaughtering people that wear full protective clothing, albeit with a bit of advertising on it & it seems that the message is that it's ok to hang off......so long as you're wearing shorts & t-shirt because that would be socially acceptable & you're obviously listenin to happy hardcore & jus gubbed 10 eccies!!!...but if you even think about spending yur hard earned on a suit because thats what everyones spouting off about at the time & then you decide to have a bit o fun then stand by sunny jim...stand by!!! :(

For the record...im not even a power ranger....well i dont think i am...but im not sure coz it's so confusing knowing what to get these days & how to be acceptable..actually i may as well be one coz i got a brand new set of black "furygan" leathers...plus they've got knee sliders that i've absolutely no inclination to even try to use (mainly coz what i hear is "grip the tank with yur knees for extra control") & yep when i was dreaming about bikes, the gossip at the time was that leather was best....but now it's all adventure bikes,textiles & lookin like a tit wearing bright green :b ....& live with false hope...like wearing an army issue Nuclear,Biological,Chemical suit is really gonna stop you being proper fukd. :eek

I dont know what to believe now, but i dont think ill ever need to get my knee down, opening up my legs,stretching my hip flexors to their max then sticking my knee on a giant sander isnt quite natural yet 8)

How come we dont get this in the car world, like "stick yur dick out the window whilst cornering & you'll go faster" type stuff ha ha tee hee

Let the flaming commence!!! :D
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 29 April 2013, 03:46:39 pm »

How come we dont get this in the car world, like "stick yur dick out the window whilst cornering & you'll go faster" type stuff ha ha tee hee

You mean to say that DOESN'T improve acceleration out of corners?!?   :eek :eek :eek

Damn!  :lol :lol :lol :lol
The Deef's apprentice

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 01 May 2013, 08:04:30 am »
no ones slagging anyone who wears protective clothing (I know more than most about PPE through me job and riding)
if you re read my piece, it was a piss take on 2 lads that had all the gear and no idea. They had the race bikes and the leathers and thought they were better riders than the Police coz of it, and quite possible........................they even got their knees down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as was said previously, most of the "power ranger" types sit in a pub car park going "look at me, aren't I great?"
and when they do ride, its summer only
its a piss take on the individual not on anyone wearing PPE :b

fire never sleeps

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 01 May 2013, 09:15:02 am »
Power rangers are ace, they have sidecars and miniguns, and kevlar lined lycra for fighting monsters!

Now your not telling me you wouldn't want to be one???!  :rollin :lol
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 01 May 2013, 09:53:31 am »
Hang off, I have enough bother hanging on !!!!

We must be twins or then again it may just be my age.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 01 May 2013, 02:04:34 pm »
My mates tee shirt

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 01 May 2013, 05:22:12 pm »
no ones slagging anyone who wears protective clothing (I know more than most about PPE through me job and riding)
if you re read my piece, it was a piss take on 2 lads that had all the gear and no idea. They had the race bikes and the leathers and thought they were better riders than the Police coz of it, and quite possible........................they even got their knees down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as was said previously, most of the "power ranger" types sit in a pub car park going "look at me, aren't I great?"
and when they do ride, its summer only
its a piss take on the individual not on anyone wearing PPE :b

Fair one maddog, i see your point.I was pissed up when i wrote that :rolleyes & i do see the humour in your post, it is amusing,im not sure why i was getting so arsey about it all but  i just get a bit surprised  that bikers slate other bikers, i suppose it's human nature but i thought all bikers stuck together & stuff & im quite surprised at the various factions kicking about but more the fool me for thinking they wouldnt eh!.I'll talk to anyone me & it doesnt bother me if they wear a full suit or a Hells Angels jacket, although probably the Hells Angels would tell me to Foc off & the guys in the race suits would tell me to go speak to the Hells Angels  :lol ,..anyway besides if nobody stood around at biker cafe's then there probably wouldnt be any biker cafe's so long may they continue to drink tea then wheel their bikes around the corner ;)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 01 May 2013, 06:02:36 pm »
I am a proud "power ranger" full leather suit with built in armour colour matched to my bike and boots, all second hand off ebay.

I got into a race with a policeman on his bike at Silverstone two years ago, it was a riders for health day on the full moto gp track, there were loads of us on there and i gradually caught up a copper and it took another lap to finally pass him, great feeling, i think he became a target, he was sure giving it some.

An awesome day out, riders for health, only £30 for a charity day and four laps of the circuit.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 01 May 2013, 06:27:06 pm »
no worries noggy, been there and got the t shirt lol
slimwilly, do they do these days up at oulton park?
sounds a great intro to the track whilst fundraising
fire never sleeps

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 02 May 2013, 06:38:04 am »
I am sure it was only £30 last few years,well 2, becuse before that it was Donnington.

they seem to have includud a paddock pass and put the price up.

Ride-in[/color]: £70 per rider (£35 ride-in and Ent Zone + £35 paddock pass). Ticket includes: a place on the ride-in, breakfast and two laps of the circuit. Ticket also includes paddock and pit-lane access, plus entertainment zone and auction. Rider + pillion: £130; rider + child pillion: £90. Includes two paddock passes and two entertainment zone tickets.[/size][/color]
http://www.riders.org/news-blog/news/day-of-champions-tickets-go-on-sale-monday-22nd-april

It was usually on a thursday, a ride in from about forty miles out, Bradley Smith and Niel Mcenzie led us in , we then got four laps of bloody brilliant fun,

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 02 May 2013, 08:53:12 am »
looks a great day mate but a tad too far for me, I'll enquire at Oulton Pk and see if I can get it a bit closer to home
fire never sleeps

XTremo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 04 May 2013, 03:28:58 pm »
Can't beat the classic Hailwood style!

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 04 May 2013, 08:11:09 pm »
The only trouble with Hailwoods style is that if he lost the rear end slightly he couldn't then prop the bike up and recover like I've seen a few GP riders do.

It also makes him look like a frog :D

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 04 May 2013, 08:27:20 pm »
The only trouble with Hailwoods style is that if he lost the rear end slightly he couldn't then prop the bike up and recover like I've seen a few GP riders do.

It also makes him look like a frog :D

Without wanting to detract at all from his accomplishments, the bikes he was racing were considerably slower, maybe lighter? than the current generations of race bikes. Hailwood's style today on the GP track would leave him firmly last.
The Deef's apprentice

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 04 May 2013, 09:23:56 pm »
As much as its personal preference on wether to hang off or not in my experience the actual type of bike makes a difference too, before retiring the mk1 fazer I was happily grinding the pegs without hero blobs and without hanging off, I went on to a T'cat (well 2 of them) and a Gixxer 750, on those I felt a heck of a lot more comfortable dragging knee round every possible corner!

Just picked up an '03 foxeye today, 200 mile journey home and its gonna take me a few more to get my comfortable riding style down again on this one, 5 year old Conti road attack tyres aren't helping though tbh!
Some say...

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 04 May 2013, 09:31:59 pm »
wahhooo !!! ride em cowboy :lol

XTremo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 04 May 2013, 09:32:36 pm »
Put any of the current day guys on one of Mike's old bikes and see if they could get round something like the IOM in the times he did.

I bet you they won't even get close......I doubt if they'd even manage to stay on the bike. Because he was riding with archaic suspension, pisspoor brakes, and wafer thin tyres barely better than a bicycle.
The current generation couldn't even begin to imagine riding a bike that they had to battle with just to keep it upright.
So strip away all the high tech from these guys today and you'll see a different picture.

And the reason guys of that era rode in that way was because in those times the damn tyres were square. It was only in the early 70's with Saarinen and then Kenny Roberts that the present riding styles started taking shape due to technology moving forward.

But in Hailwood's day it was no nonsense stuff.......and virtually non existent safety standards. Different world and those guys were brave men.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 04 May 2013, 09:47:52 pm »
Put any of the current day guys on one of Mike's old bikes and see if they could get round something like the IOM in the times he did.

I bet you they won't even get close......I doubt if they'd even manage to stay on the bike. Because he was riding with archaic suspension, pisspoor brakes, and wafer thin tyres barely better than a bicycle.
The current generation couldn't even begin to imagine riding a bike that they had to battle with just to keep it upright.
So strip away all the high tech from these guys today and you'll see a different picture.

And the reason guys of that era rode in that way was because in those times the damn tyres were square. It was only in the early 70's with Saarinen and then Kenny Roberts that the present riding styles started taking shape due to technology moving forward.

But in Hailwood's day it was no nonsense stuff.......and virtually non existent safety standards. Different world and those guys were brave men.

Without a doubt. But the new racers have adapted. In Hailwoods' day, you needed skill, luck, and balls the size of melons to race bikes. Now it appears cushier, buit a whole new skills set is required.
The Deef's apprentice

XTremo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 05 May 2013, 08:39:11 am »
Yes without doubt things have changed.....but the technology of today allow riders to do the things they do.

But you mentioned adapting.....what happened when Rossi went to Ducati? It didn't work out too well.

As for Hailwood.....he took ten years out and came back to win the TT.....on bikes that were light years ahead of what he was used to. If the ability is there to that degree then it can be done.

But ask yourself how many riders since then have taken 10 years out and then come back and done that? Do you honestly think any riders of today are capable of that?

We only saw a glimpse of the ability that the likes of Hailwood and Saarinen posssessed during that era.....because they were restricted by technology. Though those guys always rode beyond the boundaries of that technology to a level that was untouchable in their day. And totally dominated.

The only rider who's come remotely close to that in the modern era is Mick Doohan. But injuries notwithstanding, could he now return and be the force he was? Highly unlikely.....great rider though he was, he was no Mike Hailwood.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 05 May 2013, 11:22:48 am »
Long long ago when I first joined this august body of members I ventured out on my shiny new FZS600 to one of the foc-u meets.

When we had all met up and ritually inspected each others bikes we set off and after about half a mile came to a roundabout.

The lead rider gave it all he had and had his knee down very impressively till he had done about half the roundabout and spotted the police bike sitting on the verge ahead eyeing him beadily.

He quickly reverted to riding a bit more like the novice that I was....................... upright, slowly, good boy stylie.  :eek :rolleyes
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 14 May 2013, 07:45:58 am »
A nice piece of film from BBC Steve parish

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/22420790

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 14 May 2013, 12:43:00 pm »

This is what us ex-racers, including those of the Hailwoos era would call 'Rubbish'.

You have no idea how hard it is to wrestle a bike with massive horsepower on modern slick tyres. I rode a slick shod RC30 endurance racer at a practise day at Brands in the eighties, it's probably 50bhp down on it's modern equivalent and the slicks similarly down on grip, but still an animal. I was auditioning for a place on an endurance team (wasn't chosen tho) and after 10 laps I was exhausted. It was a constant battle to keep it stable on the exit of corners, the grip from the tyres make it very hard work and the braking forces make your arms ache like hell after just half a dozen laps, the concentration required makes you sweat buckets. I've no doubt in my mind that modern GP riders are super-fit beings, possessing of a huge amount of skill. Their bikes are undoubtably extremely hard to ride fast on their own, let alone whilst battling with their fellows. The modern 'aids' are I think required, less highsides can only be good, they cause horrific injuries usually.
 Anyways it's barmy to imply that nobody born after the Hailwood era is automatically not as good as him and his fellows.
Si

Bornagain again

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 14 May 2013, 07:09:24 pm »
I once got my knee down on a foc-u rideout.  Then remembered I was in textiles with no armour.  We pissed ourselves laughing.

Hanging off was a laugh and the lean angle to get fazer pegs down is nil.  Yes Fazey and allistar both wore out there exhausts. :)

Hang off and it saves wear and tear on the bike lol
And I did a Bike safe and the copper gave up.  But that was on a racetrack and my thou had a nice hole in the exhaust at the end.  Expensive day, not sure if I understood the lesson, he was pissing himself cos he had a hole in his pannier.

Biking is about fun, if it aint fun then its getting cold or battered by flies for nothing

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 14 May 2013, 07:30:08 pm »
I once got my knee down on a foc-u rideout.  Then remembered I was in textiles with no armour.  We pissed ourselves laughing.

Hanging off was a laugh and the lean angle to get fazer pegs down is nil.  Yes Fazey and allistar both wore out there exhausts. :)

How much of your arse was on the bike?!?  :eek

Also, what tyres were you running?
The Deef's apprentice