Date: 23-04-24  Time: 21:29 pm

Author Topic: exhaust wrap  (Read 1343 times)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
exhaust wrap
« on: 06 December 2020, 01:05:01 am »
After endless hours trying to stop my pipes tarnishing and staining I've decided to wrap them.I've found through reviews etc one of the best wraps on the market but before I buy them and attempt to make a decent job of it I thought I'd see if anyone had done this job.There's a couple of things I'm a bit concerned about,one being whether to go for 2" or 1" width and is 15 foot long enough to do the job,and is it feasible to do the exhausts on the bike?I'm not bothered about taking the exhaust system off but obviously it would be easier and cheaper to do it in situ because I wouldn't have to buy crush washers or faff about with exhaust studs,etc.Would really appreciate any tips or possible downfalls doing this,thanks,Phil.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: exhaust wrap
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2020, 01:13:59 am »
There's a couple of things I'm a bit concerned about,one being whether to go for 2" or 1" width and is 15 foot long enough to do the job

I don't know about the rest of the questions, but...

Measure the circumference of a pipe, then measure the length.

Multiply them together to get the "circular length" (for want of a better term that I can't think of right now!), then divide by the width of the wrap and multiply by 4 (four pipes!)

Don't forget that there's going to be some overlap, so add another 20% and you should get an idea of how much wrap you'll need.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2020, 11:09:12 am »
IMHO wrapping your exhausts is making your bike look like Nora Batty's legs, and that's no a nice sight.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2020, 01:08:14 pm »
Im no expert but I thought wrapping the exhaust was done to keep the gasses hot - something about back pressure/ flow. But on bikes that have gone through a rebuild custom pod air filters and so on. So would wrapping the exhaust upset anything on a standard bike ?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2020, 01:08:44 pm »
IMHO wrapping your exhausts is making your bike look like Nora Batty's legs, and that's no a nice sight.

Compo thought differently! Each to their own :) :thumbup

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2020, 03:50:47 pm »
Thanks for the input, it's something to do with keeping the gasses hot and getting them away quicker or something to that effect.My sole reason is when it's done right it looks good and should save me the chore of trying to keep them clean,I do know what you mean about Nora Batty's legs though, some of them wraps look terrible but since posting this I've found out you get a neater finish with 1inch stuff and it really does make a difference the quality of the wrap,I suppose it's the old saying "you get what you pay for" anyway I'll give it a go and thanks for that way of measuring Grahamm. :thumbup

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2020, 04:14:55 pm »
If you are fed up with trying to keep your pipes clean then surly the wrap is going to look a right mess very quickly and you cant clean that

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2020, 02:36:18 pm »
To be honest I never thought of that I thought the wrap stayed pretty much the same for a long time but with the extremes from hot to cold I daresay it would tarnish and like you say it could look a right foccin' mess! and it wouldn't be that easy to get off if it's adhered to the pipes.Glad I haven't commited in any way.Seeing as the pipes are stained/tarnished I may get some high temp black exhaust paint,less trouble and can only lose the price of the paint,only trouble there is any stone chips are going to show up but I suppose if I've some paint left I could re-do them.Tell you what, I think I'll just keep cleaning them up for now..........what a waste of time that was,why don't I just keep my thoughts to myself? :rolleyes :rolleyes :wall

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 December 2020, 04:26:53 pm »
I was thinking more in terms of road crap

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 02 January 2021, 05:25:18 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2021, 10:04:05 am »
Looks as though this is just an article enthusing about the benefits of exhaust wrap---if you want everyone to think your Nora Batty wrap your exhaust pipes, and make your bike look stupid into the bargain.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2021, 05:03:24 pm »
Looks as though this is just an article enthusing about the benefits of exhaust wrap---if you want everyone to think your Nora Batty wrap your exhaust pipes, and make your bike look stupid into the bargain.

I think it looks okay on rat bikes, where it suits the style, but it's not really something that has ever appealed to me.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.