Date: 28-04-24  Time: 00:45 am

Author Topic: Whoever posts last is best  (Read 151643 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Whoever posts last is best
« Reply #1225 on: 02 June 2023, 11:51:00 pm »
Well my shiny new driving licence turned up in the post today fortunately still including my bike qualification too.

(I'd taken a picture of the old one just in case someone made a mistake...!)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: 03 June 2023, 08:05:22 am »
Making a copy of your old license was certainly a good idea. I’ve known of two people who have lost their motorcycle license entitlement, when their licenses have been renewed. Pretty sure there is a DVLA dept. where you can check and print your entitlement prior to renewal.
The trick now will be to try and keep your shiny new license, stamp free :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: 03 June 2023, 12:01:41 pm »
I do actually still have my Bike Test pass certificate from 2007 (I don't throw stuff like that away), so I could prove I've got the qualification if necessary, but I'm glad I didn't have any hassle.

As for the new licence, I'm probably going to get a Skoda Fabia 1.2 for the first year or two because it's got a low insurance cost and the small engine means you *can't* hoon it around (not that I ever would...  :D ) and risk picking up tickets...

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: 03 June 2023, 12:42:55 pm »
Good choice :thumbup

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: 03 June 2023, 07:57:10 pm »
There's several on offer locally, but I need to figure out which is the best option.

One has a good price, but it's an ex-fleet (Enterprise) car which I'm a bit dubious about because of the number of people who may have driven it without much care about what happens to it after...

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: 04 June 2023, 09:43:04 am »
Fleet owned vehicles are usually religiously maintained, however an ex-hire would have had a multitude of drivers with varying degrees of mechanical sympathy, so understand your reservations on that particular one.
Would it be worth going to a car auction just to see what you’d get for your money, but leaning more towards “trade” prices.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: 04 June 2023, 09:57:35 am »
An afterthought would be the timing belt kit change interval being approx 75k miles. If it’s due to be done you’d need to factor in that cost, which including a waterpump would be around the £300/£350 mark, if done by an independent mechanic. Some are mobile and will come to you to do the work. Just a thought.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: 04 June 2023, 11:11:38 pm »
The cars I'm considering have done around 90k miles +/- 10% and there are notes on them about various parts having been replaced, but I'll certainly do some checking.

I'm also not averse to paying for a full AA/ RAC check because finding out about a problem that I didn't even know to look for could be more expensive than the cost of getting that done.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: 06 June 2023, 08:36:38 pm »
"I'm also not averse to paying for a full AA/ RAC check because finding out about a problem that I didn't even know to look for could be more expensive than the cost of getting that done."

Wise move - I would also look at the owners forums on the internet and see if there any recurring problems that pop up.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: 06 June 2023, 11:44:43 pm »
Yep, I've been checking out reviews and comments from owners as well.

Fortunately the Fabia (especially the later models) seem to be very good on reliability, even with high mileages.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: 12 June 2023, 07:35:36 pm »
Yep, I've been checking out reviews and comments from owners as well.

Fortunately the Fabia (especially the later models) seem to be very good on reliability, even with high mileages.
Have you bought one yet?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: 12 June 2023, 09:27:51 pm »
Not yet.

There's a couple locally, one that I want to test drive but probably not buy because it has "boy racer" striped wheels, however it will let me get a feel for the car.

The other (the ex-fleet one) has come down by £200, so I may well go for that one, however I'm going surfing in Bristol on Wednesday and Thursday, so I've not got the time at the moment.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: 13 June 2023, 07:41:15 am »
Hang ten :thumbup

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: 20 June 2023, 08:29:49 pm »
So, where did we get to?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: 20 June 2023, 09:56:20 pm »
I tried to get a test drive in the "Boy Racer" one last week, but just got voicemail and left them a message.

I called them again yesterday, only to find they'd sold it on the weekend.

So I called the other showroom...

... and they'd sold theirs on the weekend too..!!

Oh well, I'm not in a rush, so I'll keep looking.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: 21 June 2023, 08:13:55 pm »
I tried to get a test drive in the "Boy Racer" one last week, but just got voicemail and left them a message.

I called them again yesterday, only to find they'd sold it on the weekend.

So I called the other showroom...

... and they'd sold theirs on the weekend too..!!

Oh well, I'm not in a rush, so I'll keep looking.

That size car is in short supply - ideal first car, ideal runabout etc etc. I know it's not helpful due to costs, but have you tried looking at what is called a "Luxobarge". I picked up a Chrysler 300CRD Touring on a 56 plate for less than 2k. Any change left over went towards the insurance costs. For a 3.0l V6 diesel automatic, I can get approx 45mpg on the motorway, 500 mile tank range. Massive inside.  ;) ;)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: 22 June 2023, 08:02:30 am »
I’d agree on the “luxobarge” suggestion, although as more towns and cities adopt “compliancy” eg ULEZ, perfectly good cars like your Chrysler and my diesel Vectra will have to be sold, or pay through the nose every day your car is used. It would seem diesels are a big no-no now :'(

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: 22 June 2023, 08:40:18 am »
I’d agree on the “luxobarge” suggestion, although as more towns and cities adopt “compliancy” eg ULEZ, perfectly good cars like your Chrysler and my diesel Vectra will have to be sold, or pay through the nose every day your car is used. It would seem diesels are a big no-no now :'(

It's simple - especially if you don't live in a ULEZ environment. Don't go there! I've now taken London, Bristol & Birmingham off my wife's list of shopping haunts lol, whether we're on the bikes or in the car.

Diesels are not as bad for the environment as the media make out.
#1. It's cheaper to produce (from a carbon footprint point).
#2. It's one of the first products from the refining process.
#3. Diesel engines tend to last longer, therefore requiring less maintenance per mile and the associated carbon footprint thereof.
#4. When I "recharge" my tank, I know that I have a definite 500 mile range and that there are generally fuel sources along the way. Oh, and it takes 10 minutes max to recharge at the end of that 500 mile sector  :lol :lol .

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: 22 June 2023, 04:38:22 pm »
Don't go there. Great advice unless you live within the catchment area, then what. Either £12.50 every day you use it, sell it, move or have moody plates made up. :'(

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: 22 June 2023, 10:39:59 pm »
have you tried looking at what is called a "Luxobarge".

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll pass...

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: 25 June 2023, 07:01:21 pm »
Don't go there. Great advice unless you live within the catchment area, then what. Either £12.50 every day you use it, sell it, move or have moody plates made up. :'(

I admit that introducing an unfair form of taxation based on location is a bit much, however, the local economy will suffer when the punters vote with their feet. Those that cannot move, will inevitably face higher prices/taxes, as the revenue stream dries up.
I had a customer at Bristol Airport - I don't go there anymore as the easiest route to the airport from the M5, now takes you into the ULEZ zone and subsequent charges. I feel sorry for people going on summer holiday and just following the signs (not  :lol :lol ).

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: 30 June 2023, 09:44:33 pm »
Still looking for a car, but I've widened my search to include the Volkswagen Polo and Seat Ibiza because they're effectively the same car, although the VW costs more because of the name and the Seat because it tends to have higher spec...!

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: 01 July 2023, 06:46:32 pm »
Still looking for a car, but I've widened my search to include the Volkswagen Polo and Seat Ibiza because they're effectively the same car, although the VW costs more because of the name and the Seat because it tends to have higher spec...!

That's not a bad shout - I looked at Mondeo's and then found the X-Type Jags were cheaper and higher spec.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: 05 July 2023, 01:41:15 pm »
A pal has just sold his Seat Leon estate as now needs 4 wheel drive capability. Great car, excellent on diesel. Had three different conversations recently regarding the purchase of new cars, and each had ordered a Seat Arona. In the 60’s it seemed that Seat were the Spanish version of Fiat, but of course are now part of the VAG group of companies.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: 08 July 2023, 06:35:26 pm »
A pal has just sold his Seat Leon estate as now needs 4 wheel drive capability. Great car, excellent on diesel. Had three different conversations recently regarding the purchase of new cars, and each had ordered a Seat Arona. In the 60’s it seemed that Seat were the Spanish version of Fiat, but of course are now part of the VAG group of companies.

If you think about it, the Volkswagen/Audi group have managed to do what Hitler didn't  :lol :lol :lol