Date: 27-04-24  Time: 21:34 pm

Author Topic: Adjusted chain for the 1st time in 7 years!  (Read 1668 times)

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Adjusted chain for the 1st time in 7 years!
« on: 14 May 2015, 07:07:23 pm »
 Sooooo I decided to clean and adjust the chain on my fazer today, as it was a new chain  on purchase and its feeling a little snatchy/slack. Was a tad apprehensive as it's been 7 years -+ since I've done it! And I hope it's ok!! So I'm just guna run through what I've done so please advise if it sounds like garbage!!!!! Ok so I Put the bike up on centre stand with some weights on the seat , looked at the chain play and as suspected a bit too flappy, fought the main wheel nut loose ( nightmare tight by previous owner ) stood looking at the adjuster bolts for 10 mins trying to remember the logical way to turn them both to tighten the slack out the chain, worked out clockwise eventually  :lol loosened 1st bolts on either side, then turned adjuster bolts clockwise on both sides as evenly as possible until the chain felt a little tighter, I didn't measure it but just eye and feel judged the tension as was an improvement on before. The adjuster lines on the swing are pretty closely matched both sides and the gap between the large washer behind the main wheel nut and the back end of the swing arm look identical on both sides so fingers crossed Ive done this right ?
Find out tomorrow morning....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Adjusted chain for the 1st time in 7 years!
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2015, 07:52:43 pm »
Just make sure it's not too tight either, 30mm-40mm (35mm) is the recommended total movement on the bottom middle of chain.
And as for being straight, simply spinning the wheel and listening will tell you if it's aligned properly or not.
It will just look and sound smooth, you don't wanna hear any chomping or clunking noises where the chain is fighting an offset sprocket.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2015, 08:53:47 pm »
The simplest way to check for the correct chain tension on the 600 fazers is:

Put the bike on the centre stand.
Rotate the wheel to find the tightest section of the chain.
When you find push the chain up to see if it just touches the swinging arm rubber protector.
If it does not just touch the rubber it is to tight.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2015, 02:57:00 am »
The simplest way is to read the manual and follow it

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2015, 08:37:31 am »
Except it omits the vital step of slackening the torque arm bolts before moving the adjusters... a quick search on this site before tackling the job would have rewarded Tubz with more useful info than the manual.

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2015, 12:45:19 pm »
Seems fine this morning, but smoother on and off the throttle, and I've done the old nail varnish trick just to keep an eye on the rear wheel nut tightness, but thank for the tips everyone  :)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2015, 11:28:09 am »
Except it omits the vital step of slackening the torque arm bolts before moving the adjusters... a quick search on this site before tackling the job would have rewarded Tubz with more useful info than the manual.

It's not vital to loosen it off every time you adjust the chain. It's only important to be sure that it isn't rusted and seized solid so it can move the way it's supposed to. Once it's not rusted it'll move fine without loosening it