Date: 26-04-24  Time: 06:38 am

Author Topic: Ivanized full monty, dynochart way to rich.  (Read 1542 times)

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
Ivanized full monty, dynochart way to rich.
« on: 12 June 2021, 04:11:06 pm »
Hello, today i finally got my fazer on the dyno after i ivanized it. The guy claims that it runs way to rich. He's saying that i need to get the idle jet 5 sizes smaller, the main jet 10 sized smaller and put the clips on the needles 1 step higher so the needle gets lower.
Can someone help me out here, i've done everything the way ivan described it.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Ivanized full monty, dynochart way to rich.
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2021, 07:15:49 am »
If you installed it correctly, and your motor is in otherwise good condition with no exhaust, EXUP or ignition issues, those dyno numbers are probably incorrect.

Ivan spent a vast amount of time, effort and experience developing his kits.  You do not need to alter any of the jets or the needle installed height ... provided that you have fitted them correctly.

I assume you also modified the airbox lid properly, fitted a free-flow air filter and flowed the intake stubs.

What type of dyno was the operator using?  Also, the part-throttle pulls seem inconsistent between db killer in or out.

That said, the a/f ratio on the full throttle runs does indicate an overly-rich mixture in the mid-range area.  So, the question remains - do you trust the dyno and the operator, or do you trust the accuracy of your kit installation? 

FWIW, it is possible to confuse the main jets for the starter jets.  If you did this and fitted Ivan's smaller main jets in place of the starter jets, the original main jets (130/132.5) would be left in place and they are definitely not compatible with Ivan's needle profile.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2021, 07:58:38 am »
Dyno's and the people that use them can be very hit and miss at times and as with most things there's dyno's and then there's dyno's.  All quality measuring equipment requires to be serviced and calibrated, that costs money and is often overlooked for profit. 

If you're confidant you've correctly fitted the kit.

Find another well known dyno place, preferably who are using the same dyno and have the bike rerun, don't tell them anything about the first run until the second run is complete and you've got the paperwork in your hand.  Compare the two runs if the second is showing the bike running much the same as the first then it's the bike and/or how you've fitted the kit.  If the second run showing the bike running well and not in need of any adjustment, it's heavily suggesting the dyno from the first is either out of calibration, operator error or fooked.

Ask to see their maintenance and calibration certificate if they flobb you off with "ours doesn't need one or it's just out etc" they've sold you an unfit service. Use the evidence and try and negotiate a refund, if they refuse you either go the small claims court route or walk away.  Remember the same bike run on the same dyno will differ slightly even on back to back runs by a few hp/Kg as will the mixtures, but not wildly.

Good luck let us know what happens.   

« Last Edit: 14 June 2021, 08:49:33 am by Gnasher »
Later

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2021, 10:00:26 am »
If you installed it correctly, and your motor is in otherwise good condition with no exhaust, EXUP or ignition issues, those dyno numbers are probably incorrect.

Ivan spent a vast amount of time, effort and experience developing his kits.  You do not need to alter any of the jets or the needle installed height ... provided that you have fitted them correctly.

I assume you also modified the airbox lid properly, fitted a free-flow air filter and flowed the intake stubs.

What type of dyno was the operator using?  Also, the part-throttle pulls seem inconsistent between db killer in or out.

That said, the a/f ratio on the full throttle runs does indicate an overly-rich mixture in the mid-range area.  So, the question remains - do you trust the dyno and the operator, or do you trust the accuracy of your kit installation? 

FWIW, it is possible to confuse the main jets for the starter jets.  If you did this and fitted Ivan's smaller main jets in place of the starter jets, the original main jets (130/132.5) would be left in place and they are definitely not compatible with Ivan's needle profile.

The jets i pulled out are 2 130 and 2 132.5 so that should be fine.
I contacted Ivan and he doesn't thrust the dyno. I'm with Ivan because he explained how most dyno's measure te a/f ratio and how he disigned his kit.
I will double check myself and pull the carbs out to check if i did something wrong.
Im pretty accurate so i dont think i'll find anything wrong but just to be sure.
Did the airbox mod, flowed the intake stubs, got a pipercross airfilter, it still has the original seat so that should be fine.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2021, 10:13:17 pm »
Good, you've replaced the main jets and by the look of it done the rest of the installation correctly.  Forgive me, but I had to ask. :)

If you're happy with the way the bike rides and the fuel consumption is OK, I suggest you don't waste time or mental energy on pulling the carbs again.  Trust Ivan.

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2021, 06:04:13 am »
No worries mate, by the way, i'm getting handy in pulling the carb's . Sunday a friend say'd that there came some black smoke out of the exhaust when i pulled away from him. But only for a short time.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2021, 07:33:23 am »
Did you enlarge one or two bypass holes?

It's possible that you have slightly over-enlarged the holes, which is easily done.  I suggest you set mixture screws at 4 turns out, maybe less, to compensate. 

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2021, 08:06:12 pm »
I drilled 2 holes per carb. Do you think turning the mixture screw in helps to make the engine run leaner in al throttle positions?