Date: 16-04-24  Time: 14:22 pm

Author Topic: Advice on buying this Fazer?  (Read 8574 times)

AshFZS

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Ducati Monster
    • View Profile
Advice on buying this Fazer?
« on: 07 January 2017, 10:12:15 pm »
Hi All,

I have just joined the forum as I am very interested purchasing a Fazer 1000, I have found this one and will be viewing it shortly. I have read through the great G1 New owners post and got most of the info I need. I asked the guy some questions about the bike as below and was curious to find out why the EXUP was welded open, could anyone give me some advice? Is this too good to be true(its going cheap)?

Yamaha FZS1000
Great bike with a sensible riding position
R1 engine a very fast bike
HPI clear with certificate
New batteryFork seals And just serviced
Owners handbook
Mot until End of August 2017
39000mls

« Last Edit: 07 January 2017, 10:36:39 pm by AshFZS »

AshFZS

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Ducati Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on buying this Fazer?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2017, 10:13:54 pm »

Hi there, I am Interested in the bike and would like to come view it on Monday morning if possible? Also do you know if the EXUP system has been regularly serviced/working ok? does it have any service history? Thanks Ash
Me
- 19:58

Hi Ash Runs and rides perfectly Exup valve welded open 150 hp No history As the advert reads Cheapest in the U.K. Had new fork seals for Mot New battery and service last week Thanks
 - 20:01

Thanks That sounds good, shame about the history but as you say the price reflects that. Regards Ash
Me - 20:10

Hi Ash That's no problem It's a good bike not mint but not £3500 The engines are billet proof Aftermarket downpipes have no facility for exup valve With so much power it makes no difference You are welcome to come and view Thanks
« Last Edit: 07 January 2017, 10:19:51 pm by AshFZS »

AshFZS

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Ducati Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2017, 10:18:42 pm »
Thank you all in advance
« Last Edit: 07 January 2017, 10:51:13 pm by AshFZS »

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2017, 10:50:46 pm »
I found the Exup a valuable aid to low down power - others will disagree.

Personally I would look out for one with a fully working Exup - says a lot about the bike.

Whale

On the Gas! :stop

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2017, 06:37:30 am »
if its the right price,,buy it, bombproof bikes
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2017, 02:01:00 pm »
I found the Exup a valuable aid to low down power - others will disagree.

Personally I would look out for one with a fully working Exup - says a lot about the bike.

Whale

Although I had one without an EXUP valve and didn't even know until at the end of ownership (I'd owned 3 others before that one), it was a bit glitchy at low rpm. Ivanising seemed to go a long way to resolving this, but if I'm honest, there was still just a hint of the problem there, but not enough that you'd really notice most of the time. When that one got replaced, it was however apparent that there had been some loss of pull low down. Again, not that marked, but I would now definitely want a working EXUP valve rather than not.

I would bear in mind there are always a lot of these bikes around for sale, and personally would probably wait for a relatively low mileage one with everything intact, and stretch my budget as much as possible to get a decent example. Bomb proof engines perhaps, but it's always nice to have at least some peace of mind provided by a service history.

AshFZS

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Ducati Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2017, 02:15:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys,

Im gona view the bike tomorrow and check the bike over, my budget is £1500 with £300 put aside for suspension upgrades ect. I dont really want to spend more than that, if this bike is no good I will probably go for a 600 Fazer or Thundercat. I will use this bike for touring, ride outs and track work. It will be my play bike, something I dont have to worry about.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2017, 05:08:30 pm »
Ignorant FZS 600 owner here. Ignorant yes, but interested, as I might go down that route myself soon, quite fancy a Gen 1, but would not sell the baby 600, shes a peach.  :rolleyes   :kiss

Is the Exup Valve actually in the collector at the bottom of the down pipes or is in the link pipe between the collector and the end can?

Cos if they are after market down pipes and collector, would they have provision for the Exup Valve? And if not how is it welded up?

As I say I have no knowledge of the FZS 1000, but I personally would shy away from any bike that has has something like that welded up  :eek sounds as dodgy as a welded on front sprocket on the baby FZS 600 to me.

The picture of the bike looks nice and clean, I went out with a girl like that once, but she was no fun and certainly not reliable. lol :lol
« Last Edit: 08 January 2017, 05:10:46 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2017, 05:11:39 pm »
Also I think she might of had her Exup welded up too

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2017, 05:32:29 pm »
You pay your money, you take your choice..........

Personally, I would also hold out for one with a working exup valve. At this time of year, you might be able to pick up a decent standard one for not a lot more cash than that. (By the time that you've bargained down from an asking price).

I think £2k to £2.5k is the place that you'll find a lot of Gen1 bikes these days, depending on extras fitted and condition, unless they're minters.

Good luck with your search.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2017, 05:52:38 pm »

You pay your money, you take your choice..........
Personally, I would also hold out for one with a working exup valve. At this time of year, you might be able to pick up a decent standard one for not a lot more cash than that. (By the time that you've bargained down from an asking price).
I think £2k to £2.5k is the place that you'll find a lot of Gen1 bikes these days, depending on extras fitted and condition, unless they're minters.
Good luck with your search.

+1

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2017, 06:12:56 pm »
Yup, if my budget was £1500, think I'd look at the 600 instead.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2017, 06:39:06 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys,

Im gona view the bike tomorrow and check the bike over, my budget is £1500 with £300 put aside for suspension upgrades ect. I dont really want to spend more than that, if this bike is no good I will probably go for a 600 Fazer or Thundercat. I will use this bike for touring, ride outs and track work. It will be my play bike, something I dont have to worry about.

I can't speak for the fzs600 as I've never had one but £1500 will get you a very good thundercat if you decide to go down that route. I had one before my fz1 and it's a phenomenal bike. Fast, fun and cheap to insure!
They are getting on a bit now but to be honest they still do everything you could want from racing to touring. 140mph top end, around 200miles per full tank of fuel and of you find a decent one they still look as good as new bikes.
Just worth a thought 😉😊

AshFZS

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Ducati Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2017, 07:32:59 pm »
Also I think she might of had her Exup welded up too

:lol

AshFZS

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Ducati Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2017, 07:47:50 pm »
I will have a look tomorrow, take some close up photos and stick them on here. I dont know wether I am getting the wrong end of the stick when he says it been welded up, he might have meant they have aftermarket downpipes fitted.

My options are limited due to price but I do believe in bargins, there are couple of 600s nearby with about 22,000mls on them for around the £1500 mark. As for the Thundercat, its near the top of the list, but for £1500 your looking at 30,000mls +, they are popular bikes and seem to hold there price. Milage doesn't bother me that much as long as the bike looks as if its been looked after.

I have written a checklist for tomorrow so I dont forget what to look for as I get excited when looking at bikes.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 January 2017, 07:51:06 pm »
I had a Thundercat about 17 years ago and an FZS600 Fazer about 14 years ago and can honestly say that the Thundercat is a much more fun bike. As has been said before, the power delivery is superb for a bike that is getting on in years. The 600 Fazer always seemed to me to be lacking in power.
I would choose the Thundercat every time. Just my opinion though.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2017, 09:16:06 pm »
Never had a 600 Fazer but I also have had a Thundercat,  an often overlooked bike in my opinion. Fast, comfy and good tank range. I went to Belgium, France, Luxemburg, and Germany  on mine, I would get off bike at end of  day with no aches or pains.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2017, 10:20:06 pm »
A 2001/2002 Fazer 1000 for £1500 is likely to be a chancy buy, IMHO.  One in decent in nick that's been looked after will command a higher price.  This sounds like a classic case of you get what you pay for, which looks likely to be a poorly-maintained bike that could be hiding a host of other problems.

If your budget is limited, does it make sense to buy into an unknown number of issues which could end up costing you a lot more in the long run?

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2017, 12:22:57 am »
theres an old adage ... if it's too good to be true .... it probably is  :'(
Plus I suspect there aren't many on here know more about the 1000 than falcon 269 ignore his advice at your peril.
be warned !!!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2017, 12:36:07 am »
I will have a look tomorrow, take some close up photos and stick them on here. I dont know wether I am getting the wrong end of the stick when he says it been welded up, he might have meant they have aftermarket downpipes fitted.

My options are limited due to price but I do believe in bargins, there are couple of 600s nearby with about 22,000mls on them for around the £1500 mark. As for the Thundercat, its near the top of the list, but for £1500 your looking at 30,000mls +, they are popular bikes and seem to hold there price. Milage doesn't bother me that much as long as the bike looks as if its been looked after.

I have written a checklist for tomorrow so I dont forget what to look for as I get excited when looking at bikes.

Wise move, when you have got itchy fingers and a loose wallet clip, it is all easy to forget about stuff to check on. reading your list through a few times while looking at the bike also gives you a bit of thinking time. 

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2017, 07:18:43 am »
Just a few points to consider: This appears to be a "standard" bike-ie no extras/upgrades fitted by previous owners. Its 16 years old and probably running original suspension/rubber brake hoses. Mileage isnt a problem but how many previous owners & why the absence of service history? Without this you would be wise to assume nothing & start servicing from scratch. Your £300 budget wont stretch very far even if you do your own work.
There are plenty of  FZS 1000s out there with full service history-often one/two owner bikes with a "paper trail" included but the price will reflect this. If I was buying another one i would be looking at those around the £2500 mark with FSH.
If your budget is £1500 + £300 I would consider a really well cared for Foxeye FZS 600
You can have plenty of fun on either bike-the only real difference is power & weight. Quite a few on here own or have owned both. 
if you cant stretch your budget my money is on the 600. Dont rush into something that could become a money pit. Theres a bike out there perfect for you!

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2017, 09:32:44 am »
If you've got £1800 to spend then there is a 2005 Black Gen 1 on ebay. £1750, fully Ivanised, heated grips, etc. Seller needs a quick sale to buy a van.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 January 2017, 11:03:52 am »
There's a blue one on ebay £1500, 46k miles 2001.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2017, 11:26:37 am »
I picked up a 2002 FZS1000 for £1500 last year. 32k miles. It was a dealer who'd taken it as trade in didn't want the hassle of bringing it up to resale condition because the silver engine paint was getting a bit flakey and the EXUP was rattly.  Apart from that it had mint bodywork and was in otherwise great condition. Discs, suspension, forks, chain, all the expensive stuff was A1. Even the tyres had a few thousand left in them.

If you're prepared to put some work into a bike like that, you can achieve your dreams. My older Fazer's now done an interstellar mileage, so that's not an issue.

One thing though, some 2001 bikes do have a manufacturing fault on the 2nd gear dog which on the part catalogues shows as an having an updated part. Just like early R1s in fact. It is essential to get a test ride and see if it pops out of 2nd gear. The safest thing to do is though is go for a 2002 onwards machine.

If you've got the time, ring as many dealers as you can and see if they have a trade in that they don't want to put in the showroom. You might get lucky like I did.

Good luck.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 January 2017, 04:52:22 pm »
If you've got £1800 to spend then there is a 2005 Black Gen 1 on ebay. £1750, fully Ivanised, heated grips, etc. Seller needs a quick sale to buy a van.
Bloody hell that sounds cheap , I might look at that one myself , you can never have enough Fazers  :D