Date: 11-05-24  Time: 18:56 pm

Author Topic: which is better ?....no not colour.  (Read 5341 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: which is better ?....no not colour.
« Reply #25 on: 08 September 2013, 05:11:37 pm »
There's nowt wrong with revving a 600, its what they're built for!
I currently own a boxeye, and a tweaked gen 2 Fz1, and you can't really compare them tbh. I've had 3 boxeyes, and truly love them to bits. Light, incredibly forgiving, quicker than you think, and for what I bought mine for, economy! (I've done 73mpg!!).
The thousand cc bikes are completely different, and I adore my gen 2. If I had to choose to sell one? Tough call that, but the boxeye would be first to go. The thou will do everything that little bit better. (apart from economy, only 45mpg out of the gen 2).

i never said there was  ;) .

when you havebeen driving a diesel cage for the last 3 years, its a bit alien suddenly going to 12000rpm :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 September 2013, 07:36:05 pm »
I think it's in our psyche to be sympathetic but my old type r civic thought me there's no need with jap material & the fazer is exactly the same, they love being thrashed.on the welsh roads I've typically done the most work in 3rd gear alone unless cruising because 3rd seems to give me instant pull from following slow traffic at 50mph to overtaking  a few or more cars right up to the redline.

gen 1 owners-how does the thou compare in these type of scenarios?
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 September 2013, 09:10:48 pm »
I think it's in our psyche to be sympathetic but my old type r civic thought me there's no need with jap material & the fazer is exactly the same, they love being thrashed.on the welsh roads I've typically done the most work in 3rd gear alone unless cruising because 3rd seems to give me instant pull from following slow traffic at 50mph to overtaking  a few or more cars right up to the redline.

gen 1 owners-how does the thou compare in these type of scenarios?

3rd can be a bit brutal - but any gear works on the thou, just depends how quick you want to get past. Did most of my overtakes lazily in top today as we didn't go really fast and only did overtakes on the few occasions there was a longish clear straight bit - too much traffic. Dropped a gear or two when I wanted to stay up with the leader on shorter opportunities. But 3rd would have been total overkill most of the time.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 September 2013, 01:27:45 pm »
I've been toying with the idea of buying another bike, but can't walk away from the 600 for it's outright damn practicableness.

So now I thinking of buying a stable mate for me Julie. Thinking along the lines of a Hyperstrada, MT-09 or Tiger 1050 Sport.

Decisions!

To be honest mate, I'd say that the 1000 is every bit as practical as the 600, it's basically the same bike just with 20% more of everything!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #29 on: 09 September 2013, 01:41:20 pm »

To be honest mate, I'd say that the 1000 is every bit as practical as the 600, it's basically the same bike just with 20% more of everything!

Including weight and fuel consumption.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 September 2013, 03:55:48 pm »

Including weight and fuel consumption.

There's definitely a difference, but I haven't noticed it that much! Weight wise you get used to it quite quickly going either way, the 600 just feels a tad more flickable - but then the 1000 definitely seems more "planted". Fuel consumption wise I got about 45mpg around town on the 1000 compared to about 52mpg on the 600, about 55mpg on the motorway compared to 60ish. Not really that different to be honest, and luckily enough where I don't do a massive amount of milage petrol consumption (apart from if it drops a bikes tank range to a ridiculous level) isn't remotely an issue!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 September 2013, 06:49:46 pm »
I go to work so I can own a bike and use it. What's this "fuel consumption" thingy?  :lol
The extra weight of the 1000 does require a little more care in the corners, but that's part of the fun of it. You feel you can take a little more credit for cornering well rather than just the bike doing it all. Because I've nearly always had large bikes, I've learned to be a bit physical with them. But the 1000 is not far behind the 600, if you don't let it daunt you.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #32 on: 10 September 2013, 05:05:20 am »

There's definitely a difference, but I haven't noticed it that much!

I agree. However, when pushing, or lifting - you can notice it (if you're not very strong).

Fuel consumption wise, for me it would make around 200 euros per season difference - not a fortune, but noticeable (at least compared to a mate with a yellow 1000  :)  ).

1000 is a nice bike, great one, for most people probably better choice, but bigger is not always better (or is my girlfriend trying to comfort me that way? :)  ). 
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2013, 08:17:17 am »
back to the topic in hand for a moment. Although im a 600 rider, I think the thou (gen 1) would suit my riding style a lot better. It winds me up having to rev the nuts off the bike to get the power out it as I feel like im not being mechanically sympathetic to it. plus when overtaking on b roads i feel like im never done going up and down the box. i think this problem would be far reduced on the thou as the power would be more available lower down the revs and in higher gears.

thats just a personal thing though, but the 600 is still i cracking bike if you dont mind working the gears.

the 600 loves to be revved when you get it on the boil  12000rpm + they really fly and not much will catch it
on the other hand you can tootle down the shops n back n very comfy
suspension needs work as do all budget  bikes but bear in mind it not a race rep its an all rounder n thats what it does very well
everything you need
waters wet, shit stinks !

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 September 2013, 12:48:58 pm »
I'll teach my 600 how to cook and tell the wife to f- off! It's that versatile!