Date: 30-04-24  Time: 14:18 pm

Author Topic: Speedo Kaput!  (Read 2072 times)

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Speedo Kaput!
« on: 03 November 2013, 06:24:38 pm »
After 69.6miles today, and may more before that, it appears my speedo no longer wants to do it's job and is just sitting there at 0mph despite me being pretty sure I'm going faster than that.

I'm guessing first suspect is the pick-up thing in the front wheel, anyone know where's best to get one of them from online pronto?

Is there anything else I should look at too, hoping for a quick and cheap fix - ha!

Cheers,
Rob

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo Kaput!
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2013, 06:51:14 pm »
Yes Rob, probably that little ceramic bastid that hides in the front wheel drive and disintegrates every time it comes into contact with daylight :-(

If so, an easy fix as long as it's in stock. I believe the replacement version is stronger than the original

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2013, 06:59:50 pm »
Thanks Jeff, did some more reading around and found this bugger:

http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/product/yamaha/5RB2517G0000/rotor,%20sensor?uid=0

So I'll get that ordered and just keep my eyes pealed in the meantime. Hope I don't bork it putting it back in, and hope it fixes it as the next option costs an extra £100!

Cheers,
Rob

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2013, 11:50:42 pm »
Sounds like the pick up. I think speedo shows a warning if it's anything with the sensor.

The little pickup is easy to replace prob 20-30 mins. Mine went the night before my mod 2 test. Had my mod 2 first thing in the morning so gave her a little test in the lane ;)  To make sure all was working, found that the speedo was dead! Had a look on here and found out it was probably the pick up. Remembered that when I bought the bike there was spare part in the tool holder. Had a look and it was the exact thing I needed to solve the problem! Landed on my feet there as my mod 2 without my speedo would've been interesting.

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2013, 04:02:19 pm »
I had the exact same problem this weekend.
its worth a quick read of this before you remove the wheel to check http://foc-u.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Cautionary_Notes_for_Front_Wheel_Removal/Replacement
good luck

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2013, 05:10:32 pm »
They're a bit fiddly to refit, but once you've broken one you tend not to do it again.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2013, 06:58:58 pm »
They're a bit fiddly to refit, but once you've broken one you tend not to do it again.  :)

:lol

Anyone got a pic of a correctly routed cable just to make sure I don't fall in to the total div bracket when I fit the new one  :rollin

My order has been 'allocated' apparently. That doesn't appear to be the same as delivered, slow buggers ;)

Cheers,
Rob

69oldskool

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2013, 08:52:38 pm »

That's reassuring to hear :)

Right, no one else break one!, i've not ordered mine yet.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2013, 06:38:29 pm »
Bit late to the party but if anybody needs one pronto, let me know. I ordered one from AJ Sutton but I don't need  it now as I managed to patch up the broken one. Can get it posted asap unlike when you order from them who make you wait a while!

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2013, 08:16:38 pm »
Me please!!

No sign of mine showing up, it's still just 'allocated'. I did get an email saying it was a special order item so would take longer. Don't like riding around guessing my speed it has to be said.

Cheers,
Rob