Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:43 am

Author Topic: Renthal bars  (Read 1213 times)

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Renthal bars
« on: 03 April 2021, 12:56:18 pm »
Afternoon, I know this issue has probably been done to  death my self included, I asked about higher renthal bars than the o e bars  but never gave bar risers a thought  till someone on here suggested them so my mind was made up in going down that route , however due to a elbow injury  in the early 80s getting worse I want to try bars with the extra height and width so my question is will renthal 754 bars fit on a gen1 1000 with std cables and brake lines  , thanks

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Renthal bars
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2021, 01:25:25 pm »
I know that 758s with bar risers will fit with stock cables as Flooky on this forum has got that set up. Whether his risers give a lift of 35mm, which is the difference in height between 758s and 754s, I wouldn't know. As you're no doubt aware, the 754s are a tad wider than 758s, by 3mm.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2021, 01:32:22 pm »
Cheers  robbo ,no i didn't realise that

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2021, 07:49:34 pm »
Link below is what you need to form decent comparisons between two different sets of Renthal bars:
https://www.renthal.com/worksfit/
I experimented using 755s with 20mm risers. 755s appear slightly higher than the 754s. The (standard) front brake line proved to be the problem, had a braided set made up an inch longer than standard. But...  regarding the additional sweep(back) of the 755s, I found they really aggravated my forearms a bit after 100+ miles.

I also agree with the idea of using 758s with additional risers under them - far less sweep so easier on the arms. Downside is you have to lean forward more to get to them than the likes of 754/755s, depends which discomfort you prefer  :lol
I currently have 4 inch longer control cables, 758 bars with FZ1 risers (extra inch of height) plus 30mm risers which gives me an about an extra 2.5 inches of height over the standard setup.  Just about perfect now for me, of course handling suffers beyond triple digit speeds but no longer interested in pushing that particular envelope on the roads... 

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2021, 09:02:33 pm »
It’s interesting to find the various combinations of bar height and reach that owners find to be their ideal position for comfort. In my case I just followed the very popular choice of 758s, before adding the GYTR risers at a later date, which actually lower the bars nearer to the top yoke. I find this forms a comfortable weight bearing triangle between feet, backside and arms. But what’s ideal for me could be quite torturous for someone else. It’s a funny old game, this motorcycling. :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2021, 09:16:10 am »
Thanks for all your input i have enough info now to make a starting choice and i think it will be a bit of trial and error to find out what works for me 👍

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2021, 02:32:57 pm »
It’s interesting to find the various combinations of bar height and reach that owners find to be their ideal position for comfort. In my case I just followed the very popular choice of 758s, before adding the GYTR risers at a later date, which actually lower the bars nearer to the top yoke. I find this forms a comfortable weight bearing triangle between feet, backside and arms. But what’s ideal for me could be quite torturous for someone else. It’s a funny old game, this motorcycling. :lol
I have the same setup, it's a bit more sporty allowing you to get your weight over the front if you want to get a move on through the twisties  :evil  but is also comfortable enough and relatively upright just to bimble about on with the Mrs on the back. Obviously not the right setup for anyone wanting a more upright position though .......