Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:00 pm

Author Topic: Non-fazer, and/or non-Yamaha tech. topics?  (Read 1988 times)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Non-fazer, and/or non-Yamaha tech. topics?
« on: 07 January 2022, 10:58:43 am »
What are your thoughts on posting questions related to motorcycles that aren't Fazers/MTs, or even not Yamahas?

I got a question about a Ural motorcycle kick-start not engaging problem. I know next to nothing about Ural motorcycles. I suppose it's a spring, and/or a pawl damage problem, but can't be certain. And I suppose that not engaging when it's very cold is the first sign of trouble. But that's mostly guesswork on my part - far from the knowledgeable expert.
The first thing that came to mind was to direct the person asking to this forum. There are some very knowledgeable people here, that seem knowledgeable with (motorcycle) mechanics in general, probably not "just" the Fazers/Yamahas.

But the question is whether people are happy and willing to have non-fazer stuff here. Yes, I'm sure there is a Ural forum somewhere, but I'd rather take an "it's probably..." from the people on FOC, than "it must be..." from a forum I have no idea about.
Having more members is not necessarily good - quantity doesn't always provide more quality. But it's also not bad in and of itself.

Anyway, I suppose the best thing is to ask.

Can and should we have a non-Yamaha/non-Fazer section?
Do you think it's a good idea?
Can I direct the poor sobs who don't speak my native to this wretched place?  :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Non-fazer, and/or non-Yamaha tech. topics?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2022, 05:49:25 pm »
We can add another sub-forum for non-Fazer/non-Yamaha models.

Ask in General where people look and see what they say. That said, just ask the questions about any other bikes there anyway - as you say people will help.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2022, 07:24:14 pm »
Ural motorcycles are pretty much direct copies of either WW2 BMW or Zundapp, some early versions could be both.  Later versions where really an improved version of both, i.e, they picked the best from each marc.  Soviet/Russians are very good at making solid reliable kit that can be fixed in the field, it may not go fast or look great but it will work.   

I've worked on a couple of the above mentioned WW2 era, how old is yours and what type of box has it got?
« Last Edit: 07 January 2022, 07:28:38 pm by Gnasher »
Later

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2022, 07:54:20 am »
Ural motorcycles are pretty much direct copies of either WW2 BMW or Zundapp, some early versions could be both.  Later versions where really an improved version of both, i.e, they picked the best from each marc.  Soviet/Russians are very good at making solid reliable kit that can be fixed in the field, it may not go fast or look great but it will work.   

I've worked on a couple of the above mentioned WW2 era, how old is yours and what type of box has it got?

I see the reason for the confusion. Laughing at myself now.  :) 

I wrote: "I got a question" instead of "I was asked."

It's not my bike, I haven't even seen it. Not even from my country - otherwise, I would have directed the owner to our local forum, which is general by default, not a model/make specific, generally. But for English, this is the best motorcycling forum I know, period.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.